• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wardroom Etiquette

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
You kidding ??? Ferris' character was loosely based on my high school career ... :)

Just adding to the legend. I'm beginning to get the inkling that A4s is really Chuck Norris. Or not, but still worthy of his own hero worship.:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Just adding to the legend. I'm beginning to get the inkling that A4s is really Chuck Norris. Or not.........:)
PLEASE !!!

You embarrass and over-flatter .... I am NOT worthy .... and I think you may have the wrong "Charles" ... !!!

Some of my former high school girlfriends would suggest that my high school career was more closely profiled thusly:

But: I still have a good time at the class reunions .... :)

Whisky for my men ... beer for my horses.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a carrier, it depends on the CO/XO combination. I was on the Stennis when WRIII was for clean khakis only, no flight suits or flight jackets. Sort of a shoe haven.

The aviators ate in WR I/II in whatever we wanted to wear.

The new CO realized the truth, the carrier is a service organization that supports the air wing. So he changed all the rules. WRIII was now open to all, just hold off on greasy clothes (like a cat AG officer). We wore our flight suits down there after that any time we wanted. Actually got the air wing and ship to become a lot closer. We still hated our supply guys, but that's another story.

When you sit down, you ask "mind if I join you?"

When you leave, you stand up and say "gentlemen, excuse me"

When you get a refill on your beverage you offer to make a run for the table.

That was about it...table rules...no discussions of work, politics or wives...girlfirends were fair game.

Cheers,
G

IRfly

None
AllAmerican75 said:
Just adding to the legend. I'm beginning to get the inkling that A4s is really Chuck Norris. Or not, but still worthy of his own hero worship.:)

This kid is on his way to at least one star, maybe two...

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Like everyone already said, it depends ship to ship, CO to CO. Our last CO it was HUGE deal with him. Sometimes he would make you stand there for a while before he would let you join. Sometimes he said no to people joining (he said that to me once, but I just sat down anyway). Our new CO, he really doesn't care, or even notice. We all still ask him to join, but half the time he doesn't notice and we just sit down. As for bussing our own plates, I try to, but usually as soon as we finish eating, the FSA's grab them before we even get a chance to get up.

I usually by the FSA's a cokes a couple of times a week. They serve us, and its a sh*t job, so it's best to take care of them. On deployment, I also gave them some of the cookies and what not that I recieved.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that is the biggest culture shock when Marines get on a ship. To a Marine a CO who would sit and eat while a subordinate stands there is anathema to all we stand for. I realize there are different service cultures and all but I still get a little nauseaus when I hear liberty called from top down not bottom up.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
AAHHHHH.....I remember it well:

"Liberty Call for USS Essex E-7 and above. 31st MEU E-3 and below"

This was normally followed by applause by the Marines in the futile attempt to shame the navy into looking out for their sailors. Never worked.

I particularly recall a chief (very fat, but no coffee mug in sight) trying to cut in front of about 90 people in line for the liberty boat to "find the chief's line". Nice.

Skidkid...tried to give rep points for that one, but got "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to skidkid again."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EngineGirl said:
Like everyone already said, it depends ship to ship, CO to CO. Our last CO it was HUGE deal with him. Sometimes he would make you stand there for a while before he would let you join. Sometimes he said no to people joining (he said that to me once, but I just sat down anyway). Our new CO, he really doesn't care, or even notice. We all still ask him to join, but half the time he doesn't notice and we just sit down. As for bussing our own plates, I try to, but usually as soon as we finish eating, the FSA's grab them before we even get a chance to get up.

I usually by the FSA's a cokes a couple of times a week. They serve us, and its a sh*t job, so it's best to take care of them. On deployment, I also gave them some of the cookies and what not that I recieved.
Making people stand there?? That's a bit extreme even for SWO land. Was he on the morale supression team too? As for the FSA's, concur on taking care of them. Whenever I had guys coming up for FSA duty, I'd make sure I took good care of the supply chief and Food O, so I could get my guys' FSA duty to be in the wardroom instead of the chief's mess or worse down in the enlisted galley. For FSA duty, the wardroom is the place to be....on a small boy at least.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Best meal I ever had aboard ship was in the ship's CO's stateroom ... if you have the means and opportunity .. I highly recommend it. :captain_1
That's no joke. Had the opportunity to have dinner with the CO in his cabin on the LINCOLN. GREAT food!....beef filet, mashed potoes, vegetables, and killer soup and salad.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
all of us mids got the chance to eat in the CO's stateroom last summer....definitely the best "spot in town" so to speak. Nice comfy couches, a bucket of iced soda cans (none of that poorly mixed fountain crap), 3 course meal, and actually interesting conversation. I too would definitely recommend it:D We were definitely on our best behavior though, especially after the etiquette briefing we recieved from one of the CO's staffers right beforehand

As a mid coming onto a ship for the first time, I was a little surprised how informal the wardrooms were (this was a CV). Even the "clean-shirt" wardroom was pretty relaxed most of the time that I was down there. I never saw too many senior officers in there, but the size of the room seemed to preclude any sort of formality with folks across the room. Plus I pretty much just followed the lead of my guide, the LT JG

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Hey, don't knock fountain Coke. It's all you can drink and part of your mess bill (like Wendy's, they ain't making money off the soda fountain). Often times beats the funky tasting overseas canned Coke you run into. As long as the mix isn't jacked up or the syrup canister isn't running low, it's usually pretty good on the boat. Any way you look at it, it beats the alternative of bug-juice only or Parmalat in a box.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Goober said:
Hey, don't knock fountain Coke. It's all you can drink and part of your mess bill (like Wendy's, they ain't making money off the soda fountain). Often times beats the funky tasting overseas canned Coke you run into. As long as the mix isn't jacked up or the syrup canister isn't running low, it's usually pretty good on the boat. Any way you look at it, it beats the alternative of bug-juice only or Parmalat in a box.

true, the alternatives didn't seem too promising. I did like the Icees though (or whatever they were called)....especially once we were near the equator

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
true, the alternatives didn't seem too promising. I did like the Icees though (or whatever they were called)....especially once we were near the equator

Are you referring to the infamous "Dog?"