• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WATCHES: Question for all you Aviators

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone done this type of deal recently? I'm getting close to wings and a piece of man jewelry would be a nice gift to myself. Contacts/details appreciated.
If you want to try to get between 10 and 15 pilots together for the Omega X-33 (I think from $700.00 to $900.00 depending options) send me a pm. Squadron logo, and your name for a few extra bucks. Our unit did this a few months ago...pretty great watch.

http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=297

Usually retails for about $2400.00 in the exchange; however Omega will cease selling them to the general public, and only sell through the Military Pilot/Astronaut program I mentioned above.

Attachments

• x-33.ppt
    68 KB · Views: 52

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone actually seen or had experiences with Bell & Ross watches? I saw them recently in a catalog and they had a really unique and interesting look to them...sorta like a wrist version of the clock in the aircraft. The prices seem awfully high...near Omega and Rolex territory...but if they are well constructed...

Here is a link...
http://www.bellross.com/

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Scoober:

From a review of a watch I found online:
Bell & Ross is named for two Frenchmen, Bruno Bellamich(designer) & Carlos Rossillo, who head this Paris-based company. They market their watches as "instruments" for "men of extremes", such as deep-divers, bomb squads, pilots, and astronauts.

Bell & Ross usually invites some controversy in that parts of their line are identical in nearly all respects to watches sold by Sinn, the German company which manufactures the lines - the only difference being that the dials and bracelets do not have the B&R name and logo. While this in and of itself is controversial, the "kicker" is that Sinn sells these same watches in Germany, factory direct, for significantly lower prices. The reason for this situation, according to US distributor Pierre Halimi, is that Sinn has only a limited official distribution and sales network outside of its German factory, and none in the US. Furthermore, in Europe, all servicing is done at the central Sinn factory in Frankfurt

I have heard good things about them, but they are pricey. The movements are very robust and the watches utilitarian aimed at the military/pilot market. They make a watch called the "Hydromax" that can go down to 11,100 meters (you do the math) because it is filled with silicone oil. The watch you are referring to (the Instrument line, to recall aircraft instrumentation) is HUGE. Like having a big clock on your wrist.

Personally, you might want to look at the watches that Sinn makes. It is German watch maker started by (still alive, 88 year old) pilot Helmut Sinn that used to be affiliated with Bell & Ross, and makes similar watches: http://www.watchlife.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=263.

Sinn has a loyal following in Europe (and certain models are issued to German military) and are becoming more popular here. They make rugged designs that appeal to aviators/military folks, with models that have UTC hands (flight planning), and are easy to read. Some models are in titanium and others that use a hardened steel used in German subs (marketing gimmick, perhaps but they are supposed to be nearly scratch proof). Check out the U1, U2, and UX as well (the UX is waterproof, i.e., it has no depth rating as it uses silicone oil like the Hydromax). They also have automatic movements in many of them, and seem to be seen as a good value on a few of the watch forums because of their ruggedness and finish. Here is their complete line through a US dealer (the only US dealer):
http://www.watchbuys.com/sinn.htm?gclid=CNj28s20g4kCFQtXGgodpktd8w

Here is a bunch of geeks talking watch talk, and generally the best website out there to educate yourself on watch purchases (the thread I linked is just Sinn, but they have many others).
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=81

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sinn356UTCAcrylicStrap.jpg
Those look fantastic. Thanks (I think...;) ) for the new idea.
Sinn6100Klassik4N.jpg

tiger84

LT
pilot
^^^What he said, although the Chrono Avenger is more my style. Tried one on at a jewelry store that was actually willing to pull it out of the case. The thing must weight three solid pounds.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In or out of the aircraft .... there is only one answer:

One of these .....

RX408-NP0.jpg
rolex2.jpg

Or one of these .... anything else is rubbish, effeminate, or Euro-trash. :)

libocall004smallyz3.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So, uh, sir, how much does one of those Rolexes cost? A grand or two?

Unfortunately ... you can't even touch a "like-new" used one for that these days. You can use your imagination on the price of a new one. Keep your nose clean and you will have several opportunities to get one in the future, either in CONUS or overseas. I've done both.

Or have a rich Daddy and ask for one for graduation ... :) ... I didn't have one of those.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ill agree with the rubbish to an extent and effeminate in some cases but the Euro-trash is tough to accept. Any high quality watch will probably be made in Switzerland.
I like my Rolex and Breitling pretty much equally.

I gotta stop buying watches.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Quick question. I understand about wanting some bling on your wrist when you're out on the town, but who actually looks at your watch when you're in the cockpit? I mean, between the gloves, the sleeves rolled down and velcroed (as per 3710.7T), and the digital GPS sync'd clock on the instrument panel, it seems a little impractical. Otherwise, who cares if your watch can calculate your fuel burn? Just get something that you think looks great and that you like. I'm not going to go out and dump close to four figures for something that serves the same function as the $10.95 Casio I got at Wal-Mart before OCS. For my dress watch, I just wear a stainless Kenneth Cole I got at the exchange for $50. Who are y'all trying to impress so badly, anyway?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Who are y'all trying to impress ... anyway?
Only myself .... the rest of you don't count. :)

You can put whatever you want on your wrist. They all tell time reasonably well. And you can drive a Yugo, for all I care.
Personally, I don't care for the Yugo ... I drive an Escalade, a Benz, and a 911 ... not all at once, of course.

This thread is about preferences. Watches, in this case.

Soooooooo ... If you're content with the $50 NEX special on your wrist ... knock yourself out -- rock on.

That's the great thing about this country -- nobody is forcing you to get a $6000 watch.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Unfortunately ... you can't even touch a "like-new" used one for that these days. You can use your imagination on the price of a new one. Keep your nose clean and you will have several opportunities to get one in the future, either in CONUS or overseas. I've done both.

Or have a rich Daddy and ask for one for graduation ... :) ... I didn't have one of those.

Looks like I need to start saving up. Oh, Alumni Association. . . . .:D

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
As for actually using a watch, I use mine (G-Shock) every flight. The time memo function works great for T/O and land times. I know of at least one Breitling that has this function, but I’m working up towards that.