• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight training

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBayDog

Aviator4000 said:
No I don't think that this is crazy now that you have explained it. I thought ephedra was ILLEGAL anyway? I know it is banned at least in my state.

Ephedra was outlawed in the USMC, then the DoD, before it became illegal.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
A4sForever said:
Impressed ??? My wife can do 25 pull-ups .... no joke. But I can't ..... :censored_ smiley ....

I max out my pull-ups, and then some, my bf on the other hand only 16(he uped it by 2 on his last PFT :smgreen_1 ). It's the only thing he does 'poorly' on at PFTs.

Honestly though, I don't care it's not a competition, it's life. I say lift to be toned not to be big. Being huge is bad for your heart and well you normally end up being over the max weight at OCS or other schools like staff NCO academy, etc. so you just have to lose weight (in the alotted amount of time or you fail) and all of your efforts are then waisted anyway.

Just my $0.02 though.

Crowbar

None
HOORAH said:
you normally end up being over the max weight at OCS or other schools like staff NCO academy, etc. so you just have to lose weight (in the alotted amount of time or you fail) and all of your efforts are then waisted anyway.

Um, not exactly. That's what the body fat measurements are for. I have been over my max weight consistently for almost three years and haven't been kicked out of anything, to include OCS (twice) and TBS.

HOORAH

Aviator4000 said:
No I don't think that this is crazy now that you have explained it. I thought ephedra was ILLEGAL anyway? I know it is banned at least in my state. .

It's actually banned by the FDA which is (as stated in the name) federal law.

But anyway, did you hear that the FDA is now actually re-evaluating ephedra to be possibly made legal again? Now that's CRAZY!! :icon_long It causes heart attacks at it's worst!!!

HOORAH

Crowbar said:
Um, not exactly. That's what the body fat measurements are for. I have been over my max weight consistently for almost three years and haven't been kicked out of anything, to include OCS (twice) and TBS.

Well a guy at Staff NCO Academy hit the gym 3 times a day. He was a house! And they told him to lay-off a little, he was over max weight. He honestly was still over weight at graduation but they let it slide because of, like you said, fat ratio. But it is still hard on your heart. But that's just medical research.

Crowbar

None
HOORAH said:
Well a guy at Staff NCO Academy hit the gym 3 times a day. He was a house! And they told him to lay-off a little, he was over max weight. He honestly was still over weight at graduation but they let it slide because of, like you said, fat ratio. But it is still hard on your heart. But that's just medical research.

1) I didn't discuss any potential heart problems, smart ass.
2) They didn't "let it slide". If you meet the standard, you meet the standard. If he was <18% body fat, or <22% body fat with a 1st class PFT, he's fine (male standards). If he truly believes that they "let it slide" then he's an idiot for not knowing the standards.

wannabef18pilot

Crowbar said:
1) I didn't discuss any potential heart problems, smart ass.
2) They didn't "let it slide". If you meet the standard, you meet the standard. If he was <18% body fat, or <22% body fat with a 1st class PFT, he's fine (male standards). If he truly believes that they "let it slide" then he's an idiot for not knowing the standards.

u r an angry person, take it easy chubbs :icon_wink

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Crowbar said:

You won't get kicked out of anything as long as your b/f is good. However, I am in the Iron Church club myself and teeter at the edge of max weight with a b/f under 10%. A CO warned me that promotion boards frown on not being within weight, musclebound or not. The prototypical Marine officer is a lean runner, not a lifter, like it or not.

GburgMike

Speakin of b/f and max weights...I'm 6'1" and I know the max weight for someone who is 6'1" at OCS is 209 lbs but I wanna be under the max weight for 6'0" bein that I'm really in between 6'0" and 6'1"...I just wanna be on the safe side and not have to worry about the fat ratio (even though I'm pretty positive I'll be ok if it comes to that). I'm 205 right now so I was wondering if anyone knew what the max wieght for someone who is 6'0" so that I can shoot to be under that come June 5th???

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Oh and by the way according to the CO of TBS "How fast you run 3 miles in pretty nylon shorts and expensive running shoes doesn't mean jack." What matters is if you can hump 20+ miles to the combat zone and still have the physical and mental where-with-all to lead Marines well. That isn't easy. I guess what I'm saying is all you pre OCS'ers or TBS'ers focus on cardio and humping if you want to be competative.

I guess this matters with respect to TBS and OCS, but is not feasible for all Marine units. The infantry and other ground combat arms I can understand because they focus a good deal of their training on humping. For the rest of us its running, lifting, calisthenics, whatever. If you made it through TBS and OCS and experienced the 20 miler, I am sure with a proper lead in and training we could all do it again. Not that we'd want to, I guess on the FAC tour we'll find out.

However, I am in the Iron Church club myself and teeter at the edge of max weight with a b/f under 10%. A CO warned me that promotion boards frown on not being within weight, musclebound or not. The prototypical Marine officer is a lean runner, not a lifter, like it or not.

I am in the same boat except a little heavier, I am about 5"9 and 210. Puts me 24lbs over my max of 186, which I am sad to say I will never see it. My BF is around 14% at my last taping and my PFT is a around a 280. I find it hard to believe that it would count against you that you were....uh..built lower to the ground. As long as your promo picture looks good and you look good and sharp in uniform, not all fat and spilling everywhere, I wouldn't think it would hurt you, but thats just what I have heard....

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
freshy said:
Oh and by the way according to the CO of TBS "How fast you run 3 miles in pretty nylon shorts and expensive running shoes doesn't mean jack." What matters is if you can hump 20+ miles to the combat zone and still have the physical and mental where-with-all to lead Marines well.

that's all well and good for TBS or a grunt... but when I weigh how often I have to run 3 miles in pretty nylon shorts and expensive running shoes against how often I have to hump 20+ miles with gear.... the PFT score matters more. Sorry, but as an aviator, it's just not that realistic to expect to do that (save for maybe a b-billet)....

GburgMike

Nevermind about my question earlier...had a I looked through the forum just a little more I woulda found my answer before I even asked it...Thanks anyway

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
HOORAH said:

I have no idea where you get your 'medical research', but, being over weight (by itself) is not hard on your heart......as long as body fat standards are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.