• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what are the hazards associated with rescue swimmer job?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
manatees? i don't think so, as i know they are peaceful.
Well there are at least two officers on this board who will disagree. One was attacked by a manatee and one was robbed by a manatee. We hear about the thieving manatee a lot more.......

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, like Sea State 9.

We used to have a saying about the inverse relationship between the rank of the swimmer entering the water and the sea state. Sea state = 1, Swimmer = E-7. Sea state = 9, swimmer = E-1 (this is mostly for purposes of the joke as the lowest ranking qualified SAR swimmer is probably E-3).

Not important to the thread subject, but I'm pretty sure all swimmers get automatic E-4 advancement when they graduate rescue swimmer school, or possibly A-School. Thats how it was in 2001 when I went through Aircrew School.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I know when I was an FRS instructor, all the most of the new kids were E-4. I'm not sure when they were advanced, but they did show up that way. A couple of them had to much fun...Pensacola or SD + TJ or Pensacola Beach is divided by minimal supervision = E-3.

Looking at HeloBubba and the SH-2F beneath the name, E-3 Rescue Swimmers were likely the norm. The E-4 meritorious promotion did not begin untill lat 80's early 90's.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Not important to the thread subject, but I'm pretty sure all swimmers get automatic E-4 advancement when they graduate rescue swimmer school, or possibly A-School. Thats how it was in 2001 when I went through Aircrew School.
I know one AW/rescue swimmer that was busted to E-3... twice.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I know one AW/rescue swimmer that was busted to E-3... twice.

Sweet. You too, huh?
Ah, the good ole days.
Nothing better than a third class chevron that said "void" on it.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I know when I was an FRS instructor, all the most of the new kids were E-4. I'm not sure when they were advanced, but they did show up that way. A couple of them had to much fun...Pensacola or SD + TJ or Pensacola Beach is divided by minimal supervision = E-3.

Looking at HeloBubba and the SH-2F beneath the name, E-3 Rescue Swimmers were likely the norm. The E-4 meritorious promotion did not begin untill lat 80's early 90's.

You are correct. No auto E-4 for SAR school (if only). In "A" School we could apply for accelerated advancement. One guy out of the 6 of us who applied got it (not me). Since I made it through the pipeline with no set-backs (academic or physical), I was awarded my rating one day before I made E-2. Yes, I was an AWAR for a day. I finished SAR school after being in for 9 months. 17 months from basic training to the fleet. I made PO3 just before my first deployment.

How does someone pass a PO3 test while still in training? Not even at the RAG yet?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You are correct. No auto E-4 for SAR school (if only). In "A" School we could apply for accelerated advancement. One guy out of the 6 of us who applied got it (not me). Since I made it through the pipeline with no set-backs (academic or physical), I was awarded my rating one day before I made E-2. Yes, I was an AWAR for a day. I finished SAR school after being in for 9 months. 17 months from basic training to the fleet. I made PO3 just before my first deployment.

How does someone pass a PO3 test while still in training? Not even at the RAG yet?
These days helo AW's make E-4 somewhere in training.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I'd say the mud in the shallow parts of the St John's River. Landing on a Manatee, getting a compound fracture of the lower left leg and then an infection from that great river water. It got a friend of mine medicaled out.

BourneID

pilot
These days helo AW's make E-4 somewhere in training.

It usually happens on the day of Graduation at A School. Was that way in 97 and I assume it is still that way.

heloBubba, I see several AW's making 2nd Class prior to even getting to their Squadron. It all depends on how low the multiple is, and how good at standardized test the sailor is.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
heloBubba, I see several AW's making 2nd Class prior to even getting to their Squadron. It all depends on how low the multiple is, and how good at standardized test the sailor is.

2nd class before hitting the fleet? Wow, sounds like rank inflation. So is PO2 the new PO3? PO1 the new PO2? Only Chiefs really get to lead?

BourneID

pilot
Actually if you saw one of the recent Navy Times, the MCPON was on the cover saying somehing about PO1 leadership needs to be brought back, something about it went away in the 90's. So I guess you question was right on.

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
The automatic advancement to E-4 during training is something I have been vocal with at my command level. Marine CASEVAC crewman, in actual combat roles do not get automatic advancement. SEALs, do not get automatic advancement out of school. Why should completion of a A/C, RSS, and AW "A" school equate to the E-4? It seems disproportionate. One person told me the push for automatic advancement was to negate the squadron practice of E-3 and below reporting to 1st LT for 90 days.

On the E-6 Leadership being "brought back", it appears that the USN is taking another cue from the USMC. As an E-6 in the USMC you are considered a senior NCO and get all the benefits and prestige of that rank. I don't think it is that only Chiefs get to lead, more that the Navy is taking an understood policy and giving it language for people to read and heed. Empowerment in writing is a pretty powerful thing and unfortunately some people (especially junior members in time that make rank quickly) need to have this sort of guidance.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Yeah, should have been a nuclear engine mechanic or something. From what I understand you would get automatic promotion to E-9 out of MOS school and automatically selected for the STA-21 program.