• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you Aviators and Flight Officers take in the cockpit with you?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I guess I'm more fatalistic than you guys:

M-4 + 5 mags
M-9 + 3 mags
Standard bunch of survival gear (radio, batteries, GPS, assorted signaling devices, compass, etc)
Ditched the standard first aid kit for my own (3x CAT tourniquet, 2x combat gauze, 4x kerlex, 14ga needle catheter, 2x chest seal, combat pill pack, Israeli bandage)
water purifier (miox)
fold up plastic bag type water holder (holds about a gallon)
nalgene water bottle for survival only (full)
tether to secure myself to the outside of a helo (wear a riggers belt)
couple of power bars
compact binoculars
watch cap
nomex fleece outer shell under the seat if it's not super cold (wear it if it's cold)
couple extra IR chem lights

Granted that's only combat, and there's some extra crap on the helo depending on the situation. Home station? Snacks and a cell phone!

Do Army guys wear any kind of harness, like for getting lifted? Also, I'm guessing you don't have to wear any sort of flotation.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Do Army guys wear any kind of harness, like for getting lifted? Also, I'm guessing you don't have to wear any sort of flotation.

The Army has a pretty whiz-bang ensemble in the Air Warrior System. Nice name huh? And they are working on a new system call Air Soldier. Take a stroll around https://peosoldier.army.mil/ and see what they're working with.

AW_right.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
I guess I'm more fatalistic than you guys:

Like Gator said, you tend to fly in an environment that requires that sort of thinking a lot more than the average Navy RW guy. If I were going feet dry in a place like AFG I'd probably carry a lot of the same stuff, I've just never had a need for a load like that.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I don't want to put words in Busdriver's mouth, but I'm sure his tether is to allow himself to secure to helos without the ability to lift. There have been a few instances of guys getting pulled out on AH-1s and AH-64s.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I don't want to put words in Busdriver's mouth, but I'm sure his tether is to allow himself to secure to helos without the ability to lift. There have been a few instances of guys getting pulled out on AH-1s and AH-64s.

Very interesting. I've always heard of that sort of thing, but never really thought of being in that situation. What's a good attachment point? The skid/strut? Are there grommets or tiedowns on the fuselage that are designed to bear a load like that?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Very interesting. I've always heard of that sort of thing, but never really thought of being in that situation. What's a good attachment point? The skid/strut? Are there grommets or tiedowns on the fuselage that are designed to bear a load like that?

At that point, I'd imagine any point you can hook on to! I'm sure there are a few tie down points that you hook on to, but I doubt there are points that are specifically designed for it, but in a situation like this I doubt you care too much about "approved" points.

If the first helo that lands happens to be one without a cabin, then it's nice to have another way to get out instead of saying "thanks, but i'll wait for the next guy to come along."

Here's an article with some pics of a rescue attempt by a non-standard rescue platfrom (AH-64):
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article2421740.ece

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

A few years ago ('04 when things started going south) there was an Army Apache who picked up a Kiowa crew in Iraq. IIRC, the gunner got out, put the worse off Kiowa pilot in his seat, and then the less-hurt Kiowa pilot and Apache gunner laid on top of the stub wings for the short flight... but don't let me mess up telling a story that I had no part of...

Great stuff:
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=24921

busdriver

None
Yeah, I was referring to riding an Apache/Kiowa/Cobra out of the zone. We don't have a harness per se, I fly with a rigger's belt as my pistol belt (M9 on a paddle holster) but they have a D ring integrated that I can clip a length of daisy chain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_chain_%28climbing%29#Daisy_chain) to that lets me adjust how long the actual tether is, carabiner on each end. There's usually plenty of tie down rings or rocket pods mounts you can clip on to, they shouldn't have to support your weight unless you slip, you should be sitting on a part of the airframe.

Most of what I carry other than the guns/ammo is about lasting in the mountains if the weather is too bad to get help in right then and not bleeding to death right after a nasty crash. I'd probably carry even more stuff in the winter over there (only been in the summer) or if I was flying with the Alaska Air Guard unit (one day I hope).

As to flotation: yes we have a requirement to fly with LPUs and HEEDs, just not in Afghanistan. When we're getting ready to go here in Okinawa, we fly with our armor and all the over water stuff, it isn't really all that hard to fit it all and is still pretty comfortable.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm...

32 oz. camelback water bottle
my natops (paper copy)
laptop computer (with digital natops, but mostly for games when I am bored with studying)
Ipod
Bose noise cancelling headset
A change of clothes (normally jeans, t-shirt, shoes, and skivvies) for wx diverts
Whatever sandwich I want to eat and a few cokes depending on the length of the flight. Those go in the fridge (we have two)
Phone charger

This list varies by flight, but we normally have a full three course meal on anything more than a six hour hop (deployed.) Someone also brings a bag of whatever starbuck coffee variety they like for one of our two coffee makers.

Shiddy

Some of you all carry some crazy shit. I love it! I take the ASTB tomorrow(Nov.5). I'm nervous as hell.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
In the RAG, I don't carry anything extra yet besides my cell phone. If I eject over Mt. Whitney into 15 foot snow banks, the end will probably come pretty quickly. If I eject anywhere else, I can probably get a phone call out and order some pizza or check the game score.