• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What do you Aviators and Flight Officers take in the cockpit with you?

Yankee Uniform Tango
(...) a few cokes depending on the length of the flight. Those go in the fridge (we have two) This list varies by flight, but we normally have a full three course meal on anything more than a six hour hop (deployed.) Someone also brings a bag of whatever starbuck coffee variety they like for one of our two coffee makers.

War is hell! :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In the RAG, I don't carry anything extra yet besides my cell phone. If I eject over Mt. Whitney into 15 foot snow banks, the end will probably come pretty quickly. If I eject anywhere else, I can probably get a phone call out and order some pizza or check the game score.

I was debriefed the other day to bring water and a snack. Brought water along on my solo, and it came in handy in the pits......been damn hot here recently

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was debriefed the other day to bring water and a snack. Brought water along on my solo, and it came in handy in the pits......been damn hot here recently

Granola/clif/power bars keep forever in a helmet bag. If you don't need it on one flight, it'll be there waiting for you on the day you do need it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Granola/clif/power bars keep forever in a helmet bag. If you don't need it on one flight, it'll be there waiting for you on the day you do need it.

Yeah I think I will definitely be adding this to my regular bag load

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cameras of course and I never went anywhere without my fuzzy dice

417j8XKyFhL._SL150_.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since so much of the discussion is focused on FOOD ... I thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and share my "box lunch" with you ... :)

per NAVSUP P-421

1. [FONT=&quot]2 ham and cheese sandwiches and one piece fried chicken (cold), or hoagie-style submarine sandwich and 2 pieces fried chicken (cold), or 2 cold meat sandwiches (turkey, roast beef, and pork) and one piece fried chicken (cold). [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]1-boiled egg [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]1-napkin [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]2-tooth picks [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]1-individual container of milk or fruit juice [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]1-plastic fork, 1-plastic spoon, 1-plastic knife [/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]1-small package of potato chips [/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]2-fruit (banana, apple, orange)[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]1-assortment of condiments (salt, pepper, mustard, mayonnaise)
    [/FONT]
  10. [FONT=&quot]2-cookies. (assorted)
    [/FONT]
  11. [FONT=&quot]2- candy bars (assorted)
    [/FONT]
  12. [FONT=&quot]1-pack cigarettes (5 pack), Lucky Strike, Chesterfield, or Pall Mall[/FONT]
Ahhhh ... yes, pretty much anywhere you went in CONUS, if they had a decent galley or a good FLTOPs cafeteria, you could 'do lunch' w/ little to no advance notice ... whether it be BUCKLEY ANGB, HILL AFB, NAS ATLANTA, ... why heck, you could even get a great & greasy BOX LUNCH RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMEWHERE @ NAS OLATHE !!! :)

nasolatheandrays1.jpg
AMC+box+meal.JPG

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Helmet bag with: any pubs that I need, NASWI inflight guide, travel toothbrush & toothpaste and a pair of skivvies. On my kneeboard, I'm a minimalist. A couple of pages of quick reference info and whatever kneeboard cards I need for the mission. I also carry my ID and debit card on all flights.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The only problem with a lot of this stuff is that it's a PITA to carry much of this on your body, and if it's not on your body, it's not getting out of the aircraft with you.

If it's just a PEL to an LZ, you can button up the bird and crank the heater every so often. If it's at an airport, all you need is an ID and credit card. If it's a crash, that "hit-and-run bag" will be useless at least 50% of the time. Believe me, I've been outside a burning aircraft wishing I hadn't left my car keys in my helmet bag!

busdriver

None
phrogdriver, I completely agree, somewhat. I've seen people egress under fire, those who were gun people remembered their M4s, the others left them behind. I think a lot of it has to do with your mindset and what you train. With that said, part of me mentioning a more fatalistic mentality has something to do with my own introspection. I've thought more than once while I hump all my shit out to the aircraft to assume alert: "Jesus, who do I think I am, some kind of Navy SEAL?" But I figure even if I only remember my hit and run bag 50% of the time, that's still better than never having it all. Besides all the really important stuff (the med gear, sometimes cold weather gear) is on my person, and I have to basically trip over the rest to get out of the bird, guess I'm hoping tripping over it will remind me to grab and go. That and between 4 crew members and 3 team members, at least the extra M4 mags I'm carrying will feed someone's gun if I forget mine.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I see your point, and I think we're on something of the same wavelength. I look and see whether I can survive with what's on my body. The M4 is in the back with everyone else's. I think it's most useful in a PEL outside the wire scenario, when you're not abandoning the bird and E&Eing, and probably have time to be deliberate in your egress.

I'm just skeptical of the guys filling out a MOLLE with camping gear that's never actually going to leave the plane.