• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is a unit of AoA?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And even that isn't standard. T-45 stalls at ~26 units clean and 29-30 dirty. No auto-flap-recalibration gizmo.

MasterBates

About the whole AOA thingie. While we do not have that, they do not have to deal with:

Retreating Blade Stall
Vortex Ring State
Translational Lift
Gyroscopic Precession (pretty well mixed out of the 60, unless you droop bad)
Drooping turns (loss of rotor RPM)

Also, instrument flying on a helo is mostly by performance instruments. When your "wing" (rotor disk) is not rigidly attached to the airframe, Airspeed/Attitude/Power combos are not neccisarily going to work. There are some that obvously will result in something you want, like and ITO (100-106% Torque, Wings level, 5-10 degrees nose down out of a hover will climb and accelerate)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MasterBates said:
Retreating Blade Stall Vortex Ring State Translational Lift Gyroscopic Precession

Sounds like a bad episode of Deep Space Nine.

Hey wait a sec...every episode of that crappy show was bad....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squid said:
i vaguely remember hearing something about 112.4% +/- 4??? i think that's the egt/rpm light...
That's N1 RPM, not N2 RPM . . . there is no gauge for the N1 compressor . . .
And thank you for letting me exercise my inner systems geek. :icon_tong

Chubby

nittany03 said:
That's N1 RPM, not N2 RPM . . . there is no gauge for the N1 compressor . . .
And thank you for letting me exercise my inner systems geek. :icon_tong
Well if we are really going to get in the weeds then ... its 112.4 +/-1%.

HA, I win!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Well, not quite

flygal22 said:
AOA stands for Angle of Attack. If the unit for the T34 is 29.5 then the Critical AOA (angle at which the aircraft will stall [stop producing lift]) is 29.5 degrees. The AOA is the angle between the chord line and the relative wind. Chordline being an imaginary line drawn from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge (front to back).

While you can change the AOA in flight you cannot change the Critical AOA (the airplane will always stall at 29.5 degrees)

*This is assuming the military measures the same as civilian.*
Hope that helps.

sav9a.gif

The critical angle of attack is the point at which the coefficient of lift is reduced greatly. Notice how the curve gradually shifts downward. If lift was not produced it would be zero. Lift is still produced. If you don't believe me, think of it this way. If lift was no longer produced, why don't you accelerate downward towards the Earth like a sky diver?In a GA aircraft, a stall performed correctly results in a minimal loss in altitude. Now, given military aircraft and other aircraft designed for faster speeds they will probably lose more altitude.

lifteq.gif

As you can see, if Cl was 0, the enitre equation would equal 0, meaning 0 lift. This may sound frivilous, but I consider it to be important. Nanner nanner boo boo. ;)