• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is life on an aircraft carrier like?

Shawn_h76

What is life on an aircraft carrier like?

Do officers get their own room? Their own bathroom?(Please say yes)

How is the food?

On a scale from 1-10(1 being horrible, 10 being awesome) what would you rate your experiences on an aircraft carrier?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Noise factor... you forgot the noise factor... after spending time on a carrier, I found that I needed noise to sleep...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Ok, that's not true, but you asked so nicely.
As for the rest of it. I didn't mind carrier life so much. Food is decent, dirty shirt wardrooms, fairly decent staterooms. If you have some more specific answers, we can answer them. I would rate life umm maybe a 4. But that takes into account people dynamics, being away from home, etc. If I was only on a carrier 2 weeks a month or something, I would rate it much higher.

Shawn_h76

Are you serious??? Are you afraid to be around other dudes fairy boy?

Sometimes men want to do private things(Polishing the Corvette). Sometimes men just want to be alone and think to themselves.

What is it like in the rooms?

Life on an aircraft carrier isn't good then?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Are you serious??? Are you afraid to be around other dudes fairy boy?
A little harsh with the new guy don't you think? It was an honest question. Let's give the guy at least 9 or 10 post before we trash him mercilessly.

Sometimes men want to do private things(Polishing the Corvette).
We don't polish corvettes, we use cruise socks.....

What is it like in the rooms?

Life on an aircraft carrier isn't good then?
Typically 2, 4, 8 or 12 man staterooms. Everyone gets their own desk, drawers and wall locker. 1 or more sinks (depending on room size) in the rooms. Community bathroom ("head" in Navy speak) for the officers who have staterooms in the area. It's crowded but livable. Far better than the enlisted guys get in the berthing compartments. The more senior you are, the less number of roommates.

Life on a carrier is what you make it. You can have a good time or drive yourself crazy. It's all in your attitude and adaptability. It's definitely a social environment and not for the loner, especially as a junior officer.

Ex Rigger

pilot
You'll live in 100 man berthings with men who are covered in oil..and it'll be about 45 degrees to keep the rotten stench down. The heads will be community for all 100 men and there will always be dirty looks and things thrown on you if you don't use your own head. Masturbation is extremely common....ignore it....and when your in port just use the sink that's not filled up with vomit.
oh wait...I'm an O now....I'd probably have to rate it a 3 though I can't wait to find out how good it is now compared to......

dustydog

pilot
First cruise my squadron had one 6 man, which all the nuggets lived in. It was a good room down in sleepy hollow, thats the O country down on the O-2 for the non carrier types. Both of my cruises were on the Truman and it was pretty nice as far as facilities and chow. My second cruise, I was in a 2 man in the blue tile, needless to say the water was always hot and the head was clean. The coup cleaners always came in to clean the sink and takeout the garbage everyday, but I usually told them to go away because I didn't like the idea of some poor E-1 taking out my trash. If you have to go to sea, go on a carrier. Big ship run by aviators. LAMPS guys will tell you that small boys are great but only when in port. Actually, in retrospect all boats suck.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
UInavy said:
(Except that it will gently rock, the water will have a varying and inconsistent range of temperatures and there will generrally be a layer of moisture on everything.)
What's the deal with the water temp? When I was on the Tarawa, the showers sucked, always cold. Now that I work on the Discoverer Enterprise (Offshore Drill Rig) the water is always 4000 degrees and now the showers are painful.

dustydog

pilot
Nukes are much better about that stuff over convientional boats. The water was always hot, when it was working.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
What's the deal with the water temp? When I was on the Tarawa, the showers sucked, always cold. Now that I work on the Discoverer Enterprise (Offshore Drill Rig) the water is always 4000 degrees and now the showers are painful.
If you were on a Nimitz class carrier in the Persian Gulf in the summer, you'd be praying for cold showers. The potable water tanks reside in the double hull of the ship, and since the seawater temp averages about 98 degrees F, so does the pot water. This might not be a bad thing for someone who sits in air conditioning all day, but for those of us who spent most of the day in a 120 degree Main Machinery Room, or those poor saps who spent their days on a dark grey metal flight deck, hot showers were a bane. Out of curiosity, where is your Rig? Gulf of Mexico?
Shawn--Sincere question: why are you asking about life on a carrier? Like someone else here said, it's what you make of it. I personally loved it. Not the being away from family part, but the whole concept. The big blue sea, the white frothy wake, the spectacular sunrises/sunsets, the zillion stars at night, the sheer size and power of the propulsion equipment, the aircraft landing on a postage stamp, the smell of jet fuel mixed with salt air. Yeah, there's all the other crap inherent to shipboard life, but if you direct your focus towards your job (so long as you like it) and the more "spiritual" things I mentioned above, then it's not so bad.
And while HAL Pilot is correct in asserting that it's a social environment, there are plenty of places for "loners" (or anyone who wants to get away from the crowd) to find some peace and solitude. Trust me on that. (My personal favorite was the catwalk on the 1st deck far aft, port side, just forward of the port aft CIWS mount.)