• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is life on an aircraft carrier like?

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Out of curiosity, where is your Rig? Gulf of Mexico?
QUOTE]
Yep, MC822 Well #3. It was a hot one this summer too, out here, and the drill floor just doesn't have a good breeze to it. Our showers were just scalding, never knew why. It was just funny thinking back about some of the other vessels I had been on while in the service, i.e the Denver and the Tarawa, and remembering I had no hot water (at least at times), and now I can't get rid of it.

Semper Gumby

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
As a nugget and when we COD guys lived onboard for entire cruises, I was in a 6 man. We actually had our on A/C so it worked out well when we arrived in the Gulf during Aug. This was the Connie by the way. My next two cruises, I lived in a 2-man. On the Vinson, I had a room on the O-2 level, stbd side, right next to a head with washer/dryer and a storage room. It was probably the most quiet room I've been in.

Like others have said, ship life is what you make of it. There should be plenty of time to workout, watch movies, do your work, sleep and excercise one of your arms :tongue2_1 I've always enjoyed it.

ip568

None
Carrier? What's a carrier?

p-3c_landing.jpg

(And you get to stay in town at the Sheraton, too... 8*)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Like others have said, ship life is what you make of it. There should be plenty of time to workout, watch movies, do your work, sleep and excercise one of your arms :tongue2_1 I've always enjoyed it.

Only one of your arms? Hmmmph, must have been a short cruise. :p

My first cruise was the most memorable....1975 aboard the USS Forrestal. Had a guy jump overboard...twice, had a guy break into the armory after getting a dear john letter threatening to shoot everyone, went shark fishing off the fantail, (a huge hook, plus a turkey, plus some steel cable can be entertaining) caught some guys smoking pot on the flight deck one night while I was on watch. Me vs. 5-6 guys in the middle of the ocean...I went back to get help from the JOOD, a young LT whose name I still remember, and found him asleep.

You will never forget the smell of jet fuel or hydraulic fluid or the sound of the arresting cable scraping across the deck as you try to sleep. All fond memories, BTW.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I hear the carriers have some of the best chow, is that true?
Your kidding right? If not then your hearing from the wrong people. I cranked up in the officer's mess back in the day and it was worse than our food. Though I did get steak and eggs for breakfast pretty often while I was there. If you like sliders with cheese every day then you'll love it....and subs have the best food.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well I've had Army and Air Force food, and it wasn't too great, nor was it all that bad, but then again I'll eat just about anything you put in front of me. I just heard that the Navy served up the best chow between the different branches of the military.