• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is life on an aircraft carrier like?

Ex Rigger

pilot
I ate chow at Nellis AFB on det and it was great! We even got to take food with us on the way out and bring it back to the hanger.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
best food...Coast Guard...hands down. If you ever get invited to lunch by a Coastie, GO.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I've been on an LHD, DDG, and CVN. As far as food goes, the DDG lost...hands down. As in hands down your throat to get rid of the vile stuff. The good food was a toss up b/w the LHD and carrier. I'd give the slight edge to the carrier since it has more options for both variety and times to eat.

A carrier can be both a place of plentiful social opportunities or the loneliest place on the planet. Nothing like being surrounded by 5000 strangers. It's all what you make of it. The guys who keep to themselves and drudge through a cruise are the ones who hate it the most. Those who band together to curse the mighty boat are the ones who enjoy it the most...in my experience.

In order to make it tolerable, you and your roomies have to have some aggreements. One is that you define a GQ sink. Never make the mistake of using the GQ sink for anything but its intended purpose. Another is that closed curtains on a rack shall remain closed unless opened by the occupier of said rack or the JO in question is being summoned by someone at LEAST two paygrades higher, prefereably three. For those moments when you simply must have "alone time" remember this phrase, "It's mine and I'll wash it as fast as I want to!"

If you have any say in which room you get, try not to live below a cat or the arresting cables, or near the gear rooms associated with either pieces of equipment. Actually, this will be nearly impossible as a JO. It's a nice thought, though.

A good cruise is all about pre-cruise prep and packing. Movies, music, your own bed linen, and plenty of workout clothes are what make it tolerable.

And thus ends my 4 a.m. panel discussion on carrier life. Sadly, I am not even drunk...just can't sleep. How damn sad is that for a Saturday night/Sunday morning?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'd imagine it's got something to do with Hal's favoirte toy ...
He does like to play :D , he just likes the real thing...
nospankingthemonkey7uu.jpg

GQ sink - the room's urinal...for those times you really have to go...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotcha... where's the GQ come from/ what does it stand for?

General Quarters. When the do GQ drills you're not supposed to leave whatever room you're in unless you have a station for the drills (and to my understanding, aviators would always be assumed to be flying, defending the ship, so they aren't involved in the ship drills), be it the RR or state room till the drill is over.

Basically, it's a bunch of red lighting, stupid 1MC calls, a lockdown, and a bunch of sailors doing whatever it is they do.

/spent one week on a CVN at sea and endured ~20+ GQ drills.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Ahhh....GQ, pissed off so many boat pukes because all we did was go straight to the rack. It was kinda nice if they did it right around shift change, as long as you were coming on, cause you got some extra rack time. I wish that we had a GQ sink....that would have been nice. However, in a 100 man berthing I think it would get nasty quick.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Oh those good old GQ drills... straight to DC Central it was for me... I don't think you could get further down in the flippin boat than that place... without being a nuke that is...

And then I just sat there watching the chief do whatever it was that the chief did...

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
AllAmerican75 said:
I hear the carriers have some of the best chow, is that true?
Absolutely! The McDonalds onboard is just as good as that one on Pier Row in Norfolk. And we all know how good that one is!
I hear the CVN-X is going with Burger King, though, and I really don't like Burger King that much. Kinda greasy.
Now if only they'd go with In 'n Out on the new carriers. That would friggin' rock!