• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's with Bizzare Navy boat talk ashore?

Pags

N/A
pilot
When a couple of my friends landed on a Dutch ship, a female HCO asked them if they "required lashes*." Uhhhh... :)

*Tiedowns, ie. chocks/chains

The Aussies call the hot refuel a "hot suck." There was an Aussie boat in the NAG with a hot voiced tower chick that would ask us "Desert Hawk, do you require a hot suck?"

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm just as distracted when I fly with Navy guys and they use all their bizarre ship speak when we're nowhere near a boat. I'm equally irritated by things like "99 aircraft", "clear the duty, taxi to my line", "dash two", "section takeoffs", "divisions", and the like.

That's ship speak? Just sounds like standard comms to me.

By ship speak I thought you meant things like:
P-way
Hatch
Deck
Head
Athwartships
Abaft
O3 level
etc

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor

P-way
Hatch
Deck
Head
Athwartships
Abaft
O3 level
etc

Don't forget the boatiest of boat terminology: "shipmate":crazy_125

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

P-way
Hatch
Deck
Head
Athwartships
Abaft
O3 level
etc

Yes, I did mean that, in addition to the oddball flying terms.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

One of my USAF friends who did some of his training asked a fair question. Since the sign reads, "Welcome aboard NAS Pensacola," does that imply some possibility of the whole base simply floating away?

@Pags- I thought of another: "gear adrift"

Gus Gorilla

Watch it with that "shipmate" talk. You made me shudder a little. I thought I might have been walking in a "P-way" which was "secured" for "sweepers" or that had recently been swabbed. Might have been my ass if the CMC caught me "skylarking" during "cleaning stations".

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Watch it with that "shipmate" talk. You made me shudder a little. I thought I might have been walking in a "P-way" which was "secured" for "sweepers" or that had recently been swabbed. Might have been my ass if the CMC caught me "skylarking" during "cleaning stations".

Scuttlebutt is the CMC is at the head relieving himself.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Of course, a lot of "standard" flying terms have a nautical genesis:

rudder
cockpit
pilot
port
starboard
etc...
Airlines refer to a particular aircraft by 'SHIP' number ... i.e., "We're in "SHIP 601" today ... " I think the practice goes back to the beginning of commercial/military Aviation.

Old school airlines that did a lot of crossings like PanAm and Northwest referred to themselves as 'BLUE WATER' airlines ... 'cause their 'FLAGSHIP' aircraft (the big, expensive, 'signature' birds -- i.e., 747s etc .. ) spent a lot of time doing crossings 'out over the big/little 'pond' .. :)

And then, of course, there's all that 'CAPTAIN, FIRST OFFICER, SECOND OFFICER, Purser, Steward, Stewardess" stuff, too ...

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Me reporting "abeam with the gear" must make your head explode. :icon_wink

Flying around Andrews for ten years with a 1/2 Navy/USMC base the tower crews seemed to handle it well. I still don't know how we get to keep the carrier break there as the standard arrival though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The one I never got was using "high and wide" vs "low key" in El Centro. Not sure where that one came from....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... don't know how we get to keep the carrier break there as the standard arrival though.
Right ... in HNL, the HANG-drivers request 'the pitch' rather than 'the break' ... and their multi-ship field entry ends up looking more like a loose-cruise, in-trail entry to an abeam PPEL ' ... same-way, same-day ... :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Me reporting "abeam with the gear" must make your head explode. :icon_wink

Flying around Andrews for ten years with a 1/2 Navy/USMC base the tower crews seemed to handle it well. I still don't know how we get to keep the carrier break there as the standard arrival though.

Or the 180. 3 down and locked.

AF instructors call it the perch. I always thought that made it sound like we were a couple of canaries, sitting in a cage, singing for someone else.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Pags- I thought of another: "gear adrift"

"Take a round turn..." Something that personally makes me cringe, especially after hearing it almost every day for the last 3 months... I understand its origins, but it still drives me nuts...and I grew up on boats.

Or the 180. 3 down and locked.

To be fair, that's a VT/FTI thing. One of the many comms scripts that was up for a change but as far as I know, survived.

HAL Pilot said:
Better get used to this one. The FAA is changing to it really soon - next month I think.

Didn't know that. I always thought it was interesting how back in the early '90s, the FAA went to more ICAO-friendly standards (Class x Airspace, for example). Then when I would fly into other countries airspace, it was back to "ATAs," "TCAs" and the ubiquitous "line up and wait."

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Of course, a lot of "standard" flying terms have a nautical genesis:

rudder
cockpit
pilot
port
starboard
etc...

Going through advanced in Corpus we had a couple of Air Force C-130 types try to convince us that "port" and "starboard" weren't aviation terms. One of them even had the gumption to say that they were "made up" terms. Made up? Right. Hundreds of years of nautical use, and they're made up terms.