• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What's with Bizzare Navy boat talk ashore?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The best part is that all this intra-service terminology banter also differs from what the FAA and ICAO are standard terms and phrases. I'm prepping to go get my ATP in a few months and the differences between the USAF's multi-engine takeoff and landing data terms/definitions and what the FAA/ICAO use make my skull hurt. Why can't we just all give up our empires and settle on common terms....argh.

Like some of you who have indicated that some of the terms are taught in the VT environment and never unlearned later, the USAF's UPT environment has a lot of terminology and radio comm that is unique to that environment which must also be unlearned when the fledglings leave the nest.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Like some of you who have indicated that some of the terms are taught in the VT environment and never unlearned later, the USAF's UPT environment has a lot of terminology and radio comm that is unique to that environment which must also be unlearned when the fledglings leave the nest.

OH! Like reading back EVERYTHING. Supposedly that forces the fledglings to pay attention but I think it is a thinly disguised exercise in patience and torment for everyone else long after leaving the nest :)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
... and their multi-ship field entry ends up looking more like a loose-cruise ... same-way, same-day ... :)

My house lies close to the west-bound arrival fix for a certain joint reserve base in Tejas and several times a month, a flight of four F-16's will cruise over at about 3000' AGL, always in radar-trail formation. Just wondered if visual formation flying is even practiced anymore?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
My house lies close to the west-bound arrival fix for a certain joint reserve base in Tejas and several times a month, a flight of four F-16's will cruise over at about 3000' AGL, always in radar-trail formation. Just wondered if visual formation flying is even practiced anymore?

The Luke AFB Vipers that come to NASNI for gas usually arrive in fingertip/parade and break at the approach end/over the numbers. I am officially bilingual.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I liked to throw in the "4 down and locked" just to mix it up from time to time. I always imagined there's some controller scratching his head over it. Otherwise, it's boat-comm sans fuel state - "Wake 11, abeam, gear, stop/vertical/option." There are enough guys who dictate biographies over the radio *cough 46 guys cough* already.

jtmedli

pilot
The Aussies call the hot refuel a "hot suck." There was an Aussie boat in the NAG with a hot voiced tower chick that would ask us "Desert Hawk, do you require a hot suck?"

Umm...yeah!!

C420sailor said:
Line up and wait? Seriously? Is "position and hold" really that difficult?

Sadly, apparently so...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sadly, apparently so...
And once again, those who can hack it suffer because of doctors and lawyers with no SA. Just like having to get cleared to cross each individual runway. LAME.