• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting Field set COR IV

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Whiting set Hurricane Condition IV around 1230 today. Just a heads up for everyone.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm going to play golf....the sun is peeking out here in Meridian.....is that anything like DEFCON IV?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
It means be prepared to Hurevac the aircraft within 72 hours. I don't know what the other squadrons are doing but in 28 we are pulling the Flt Ldrs in today to assign the crews.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Means there's a storm with even a remote chance of hitting you.

Current forecast track is pulling further and further east, which is what we want. If TS Fay proceeds as forecast, the P'cola area might get a little rain, and that's it.

Natch, forecasts mean jack shiite when it comes to hurricanes.

What we want is max time over Cuba and S Fla mainland as poss. Means minimum storm strength for everyone. More time over the water = bad.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
It means be prepared to Hurevac the aircraft within 72 hours. I don't know what the other squadrons are doing but in 28 we are pulling the Flt Ldrs in today to assign the crews.

Over at the VT squadrons, we are continuing to sit at home, drink liquor out of brown bottles, and deny to ourselves that a hurricane might be coming. If it is anything like last time, they will take their well orchestrated plan with planes launching in 15 minute cycles to three pre-planned destinations with no students and turn it into a mad dash free for all with students going on hastily thrown together cross countries. I can't wait.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Over at the VT squadrons, we are continuing to sit at home, drink liquor out of brown bottles, and deny to ourselves that a hurricane might be coming.

Unless you're the poor abused SDO who has to call everyone and their mother just to get the ball rolling on the off-chance Condition III gets set. Your brown bottle comment explains why it was so damn hard for me to get in touch with any of the IPs yesterday :D.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Over at the VT squadrons, we are continuing to sit at home, drink liquor out of brown bottles, and deny to ourselves that a hurricane might be coming. If it is anything like last time, they will take their well orchestrated plan with planes launching in 15 minute cycles to three pre-planned destinations with no students and turn it into a mad dash free for all with students going on hastily thrown together cross countries. I can't wait.

What was that all about anyway? It was such a spool-ex for a storm that had no way of coming anywhere near Pensacola, and then only to launch 4 planes from each squadron while everything else gets jammed in the hangar. And then to have the next day completely canceled w/ out notifying everyone (everyone being me).

Here's a pic of that day's circus act. "Uh, TWO-SIX-ONE...give way to company traffic..."

Attachments

• GridlockWeenies.jpg
    GridlockWeenies.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 262

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been a while since any hurricanes hit the area, so expect max-preemptive spool for this one. Even though only one out of 15 forecast models predict the storm coming anywhere west of Panama City, everybody wants to be hard-chargin' and forward-leanin'.

Without a major shift in track (knock wood), even if we do catch some of this one, it'll be on the NW quadrant, not the oh-shit NE quadrant. It'll most likely be some rain and thunderstorms, maybe a tornado or two. Not really different than the weather we've been having this last two weeks, actually.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's been a while since any hurricanes hit the area, so expect max-preemptive spool for this one. Even though only one out of 15 forecast models predict the storm coming anywhere west of Panama City, everybody wants to be hard-chargin' and forward-leanin'.

Without a major shift in track (knock wood), even if we do catch some of this one, it'll be on the NW quadrant, not the oh-shit NE quadrant. It'll most likely be some rain and thunderstorms, maybe a tornado or two. Not really different than the weather we've been having this last two weeks, actually.

Things must be different over @ NASW than they are/were here :) **coughDollycough**

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Slight thread-jack from a dumb O-1 waiting for API...where do you guys usually evac to? And do you then just get liberty and wait it out?

I have to say, from what I've heard on here...I'm looking forward to hurricane parties in a few weeks.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Slight thread-jack from a dumb O-1 waiting for API...where do you guys usually evac to? And do you then just get liberty and wait it out?

I have to say, from what I've heard on here...I'm looking forward to hurricane parties in a few weeks.

Until the power goes out and the beer gets warm and there's no AC. Just fuck it all and go to ATL and hang out there until they fix all the downed lines.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Each squadron has different locations (usually 3) they can go. Depending on the storm track, they depart for the appropriate destination. Once there, you still are supposed to muster, but yeah, it's pretty much liberty. If you're stranded because the NAS won't open for a while due to damage, then things can flex and you might even fly some X's.

I never got to go on an HURREVAC, I kept missing the ones in '05 and then apparently there was a law against hurricanes in Florida for the next 3 years.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to keep things interesting...the combination of Fay being disorganzied and a gruncha high and low pressure systems across the SE US means...we don't have any fuggin' idea where it's going next. Hopefully it'll stay over land and slowly fall apart, but there is a possiblity it could loop back into the Gulf, or push out over the Atlantic and become a threat to N Fl/GA/SC. The various forecast models go all over.

Don't unpack your hurrevac bags just yet.