• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who flies backseat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Random question...

At the '05 NAS Fort Worth airshow, there was someone riding in the backseat of the Blue Angels #7 jet during the demonstration. I'm curious as to who this might be, as I was unaware of any NFO's being part of the Blues...?

41482957.IMG_7811.jpg

41483294.IMG_7849.jpg

Also, VFC-12 had someone riding in the backseat of one of their 2 seater Hornets. I didnt think they'd have NFO's either, since the fleet Navy squadrons dont have NFO's in F/A-18C squadrons.

41669876.IMG_8086after.jpg

I wouldnt think that they'd be giving VIP rides during the demonstration. I've read that those usually occur the days leading up to the airshow. So does anybody know who these backseaters are? Am I mistaken that NFO's are not part of the above mentioned squadrons?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grant said:
Random question...

At the '05 NAS Fort Worth airshow, there was someone riding in the backseat of the Blue Angels #7 jet during the demonstration. I'm curious as to who this might be, as I was unaware of any NFO's being part of the Blues...?

41482957.IMG_7811.jpg

41483294.IMG_7849.jpg

Also, VFC-12 had someone riding in the backseat of one of their 2 seater Hornets. I didnt think they'd have NFO's either, since the fleet Navy squadrons dont have NFO's in F/A-18C squadrons.

41669876.IMG_8086after.jpg

I wouldnt think that they'd be giving VIP rides during the demonstration. I've read that those usually occur the days leading up to the airshow. So does anybody know who these backseaters are? Am I mistaken that NFO's are not part of the above mentioned squadrons?
We're everywhere, man! ;)

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Poor bastard..."Hey, we need hotel reservations, van reservations, and make sure you come up with a script for the show." I did that stuff for my team (minus the script) when I was in college and it sucked a$$.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess ol' LT Swartz probably isn't calling hotels and AVIS for 10 man vans. I would think/hope the Blues have a dedicated events department.

then again...this is the Navy...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd think it's all boilerplate. Not too much to really plan.
They've already been to most of the airfields they plan to do shows at.

But most importantly...remember, he volunteered. ;)

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
My bro went to high school with that guy here in Overland Park, KS. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was an F-14 RIO? Small world.

Grant

Thats really cool.

What exactly would the NFO be doing during the demonstration? Obviously he isnt just sitting there twiddling his thumbs, but since #1-6 jets are single seaters, I'd imagine that the pilot of the #7 wouldnt really "need" the NFO back there to perform, since weapons systems arent used. Does anyone happen to be in-the-know as to his in-flight duties?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
FlyingFortress said:
My bro went to high school with that guy here in Overland Park, KS. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was an F-14 RIO? Small world.

Indeed. As Schnuggapup said, he was in VF-211. "VF" in the Navy indicates an F-14 squadron. I believe they're currently transitioning to the dark side, aren't they? There's a fair number of instructors in VT-86 who are former -211 guys...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Seek and Ye Shall Find Dept: "Who flies backseat" ... with the Blues??? Is that the question??? G.I.B.'s .... who's the "guy in the back"??

If so, the answer is: Orientation flights are given to three members of the local media at each show site. Individuals must be accredited members of the media and are recommended by Navy recruiters and air show sponsors, then reviewed and approved by the Blue Angels. A small number of VIP orientation flights are also offered each year to individuals from television, sports, music and the movie industry.

Bottom line .... who gets into the back seat is usually who will give the Blues and Naval Aviation the most visibility and "face-time" ..... no chumps allowed.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Bottom line .... who gets into the back seat is usually who will give the Blues and Naval Aviation the most visibility and "face-time" ..... no chumps allowed.

Chumps you say? I can think of two....Dr. Phil and Christopher Titus...why did they get to ride backseat?

Grant

A4sForever said:
If so, the answer is: Orientation flights are given to three members of the local media at each show site. Individuals must be accredited members of the media and are recommended by Navy recruiters and air show sponsors, then reviewed and approved by the Blue Angels. A small number of VIP orientation flights are also offered each year to individuals from television, sports, music and the movie industry.

Thanks A4s, I appreciate it, but I've heard that before. :D I was wondering who rode along during the actual demonstration, and now its been said to be #8. I saw on the "Military Channel" during their series on the Blues that the orientation flights are usually conducted a day or two before the actual show...?

A4sForever said:
..... no chumps allowed.

Well damn. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
rare21 said:
Chumps you say? I can think of two....Dr. Phil and Christopher Titus...why did they get to ride backseat?

Why?? Easy answer. The aforementioned .... P.R. value, a.k.a. "face time"

Status
Not open for further replies.