• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who flies backseat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
chris titus? the guy from the sitcom?

yup thats who it is, i think there are folks more deserving of a ride in the back seat than who i've heard of....

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
Couldnt see the pictures at the start of this thread... but I'll throw in on this as I was front and center at that show.

For those that werent there, imagine a perfectly cloudless blue sky day, 4 to 5 knot wind straight on the runway, 78F or so.

The show started as usual with the crew lining up and walking in step to the preflighted planes. Everyone climbed in, canopies down, and engines started up. About 20 seconds after #4 started, a howl and whine whistled across and there was a flameout.

One of the groundcrew quickly ran around the jet and pulled the engine covers from the left engine (and maybe the right too, but I couldnt see that side).

about 90 seconds later, canopy opened up, pilot pretty much jumps from the plane and darts into the F350 Dualy (sp?) that sped at 'unsafe for highway' speeds to the end of the runway where the # 7 jet was parked. The other 5 planes went around and while the #7 taxied at 'unsafe for taxiway' speeds, everyone else lined up for a nice squad TO.

There were a few other problems throughout the demo, smoke on/off at wrong times, wobbly formations, etc. But dont get me wrong... they're still the Blue Angeles, and it was still AWESOME.

I got a few fuzzy pics from the demo, one of which is the jets pulling back to the ramp. I tried to blow up and sharpen the picture, but theres definitely no yellow helmet in the back seat.

Lined up:
ba_land.jpg

closeup:
ba7.jpg

-Texan

Grant

Texan said:
but theres definitely no yellow helmet in the back seat.

Hmm... The pics I posted clearly show a yellow helmet in the backseat. I have more pics too. I didnt take the pics, and wasnt at that particular show, but the photos in the album were all taken at the '05 show... :confused:

It all doesnt really matter, I was just curious as to what the NFO would do (if anything), if he was in fact in the jet. At this point, might as well let the thread die. :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Grant said:
It all doesnt really matter, I was just curious as to what the NFO would do (if anything), if he was in fact in the jet.

Adult supervision. :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Adult supervision. :D

You got that right, Goober.

I worked with the Blues on two airshows when I was an active duty recruiter. #8 is the Events Coordinator and always a NFO. While he doesn't make the hotel and car reservations (If there is a Naval Recruiting Dist HQ near by they usually coordinate that), he is responsible for making sure it does indeed happen. Blues #8 arrives with the advance party, sometimes flying in ship #7 with Blues #7, the narrator. #8 holds all the briefings with the operations people at the airfield, local military base, if applicable, emergency medical folks, FAA, media and yes local recruiters. He is the guy that sets up the hospital, school, media visits and interviews for the team, to include the enlisted members. Every Blue Angles airshow includes many hours of dedicated recruiting time. We once had two visits across town from one another. The pilot didn't have time for both visits in the time alotted. So we arranged for a local TV reporter to fly him from one event to the other in his helo, on camera, of course. Killed two birds with one stone. As to the media ride, A4s was right, no chumps. #8 also approves the media nominated to ride in ship #7. The media types are usually nominated by the local recruiters. Celebrity rides like those mentioned above are different and are handled by the Blues and PAO types in the Pentagon. The NFO that serves as #8 goes through the same selection process as the Blues pilots with the obvious exception of piloting skill. Yes he does occasionally fly in #7 during performances, although he usually has other duties durning the show. Media do not fly during the show. He almost always occupies the back seat of #7 flying to the next show. While zab implies it might be below #8 to make hotel and car reservations, that is, of course, what admiral's aides spend much of their time doing without the thrill of flying with the Blues. As an aside, one of the most recent Event Coordinators was a E-2 NFO.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aw man, I was more trying to imply that I doubt the guy is on the phone with Ramada trying to score a military rate on rooms, and trying to avoid making guys double up. Believe me, I've made that call on more than one occasion. (Just clarifying that I don't think it's 'below' anyone). I'd hope that guy isn't getting hosed and has some dedicated support from admin or ops.

Now here's a question, is there only one Fat Albert? Do they have a backup bird?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get your drift zab. I don't think anyone on the Blues, O or E, aviator or not, really gets hosed, regularly anyway. :icon_wink

BTW, for all you OCS applicants, selects and BDCP guys, when the Blues are near by go to your recruiter and have him set you up. The "arrival" or practice show is usually on the Friday before a weekend event. They fly the routine as an area fam to get the show lines down and the geographic points they will use in the performance. It is usually when the media types get their freebee. That show is usually open to Navy recruits, and if on a military base, military families only. No crowds or hype, just the Blues. After the show they come over and meet with the Navy recruits and applicants. It is far more informal and lengthy a meeting then the rope line affair after the real show. Sometimes, especially if the show is at a military base, there will be a social event at the O club or similar, and OCS selectees may be invited to that. That is usually a great deal. Some free food and casual BS with the Blues and other airshow performers. At the very least, you should always be able to score free tickets, if it is a pay event, for the main show. Make your recruiter take care of you.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
wink said:
As an aside, one of the most recent Event Coordinators was a E-2 NFO.

Correct - Marcello "Cello" Caceres - one of my RAG instructors wo got picked up partway through his 1st shore tour while at the RAG.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
wink said:
I get your drift zab. I don't think anyone on the Blues, O or E, aviator or not, really gets hosed, regularly anyway. :icon_wink

BTW, for all you OCS applicants, selects and BDCP guys, when the Blues are near by go to your recruiter and have him set you up. The "arrival" or practice show is usually on the Friday before a weekend event. They fly the routine as an area fam to get the show lines down and the geographic points they will use in the performance. It is usually when the media types get their freebee. That show is usually open to Navy recruits, and if on a military base, military families only. No crowds or hype, just the Blues. After the show they come over and meet with the Navy recruits and applicants. It is far more informal and lengthy a meeting then the rope line affair after the real show. Sometimes, especially if the show is at a military base, there will be a social event at the O club or similar, and OCS selectees may be invited to that. That is usually a great deal. Some free food and casual BS with the Blues and other airshow performers. At the very least, you should always be able to score free tickets, if it is a pay event, for the main show. Make your recruiter take care of you.

doh... would have been nice to know a few weeks ago. ah well, next time.

fornik8

Even the recruiter got it wrong. It is true that #8 is the Events Coordinator, but he does not fly with the team during the show, and only sometimes during practice. During the show he prompts the narrator, #7, and lets him know what is going on with the show while listening to the radio banter.
#7's job involves lots of behind the scenes work (much of it on Mondays (traditionally kept as the Blues day of rest))

During November, December, and January he and #7 visit each potential show site to make arrangements for the show. #8 does get to fly in the #7 jet to all of the Winter Visits.

For the rest of the season #8 and his crew make sure that all the details are in place for each show and then brief #7 before he leaves on Wednesday. #7 goes to each show in Fat Albert on Thursday and then home in the #7 jet on Sundays.

His job may not have all the glory, but by the looks of his picture, he did get all the looks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I seem to have gotten one small detail wrong (#7 flying during the actual performance), although it was as I recall it nearly 20 years ago. I'll take that bum gouge hit for faulty memory. My reference to his other duties during the show of course, includes his prompting of the narrator and more.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
wink said:
As an aside, one of the most recent Event Coordinators was a E-2 NFO.

Now that's something that makes you go: Hmmmmmmmmm

How does that job look on your record later down the career path?

Status
Not open for further replies.