• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

jonesy27

What is being said?
I whole bunch of recruiting gibberish, but essentially that our board convened on the 26th of October, and that they have so many packages for review, and XX amount of quotas. I would assume they're going to close it out for the remainder of the board schedule.

Tracker95

I whole bunch of recruiting gibberish, but essentially that our board convened on the 26th of October, and that they have so many packages for review, and XX amount of quotas. I would assume they're going to close it out for the remainder of the board schedule.
XX =?

jonesy27

Supposedly target numbers were exceeded by applicant numbers.
I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but it looks like 91 for SNA/96 SNFO, with 122 and 109 respectively, quotas left to fill. However, there is a note on there that says only 45ish will be selected per board. I assume that's to leave room for the upcoming board to ensure their getting the most qualified over time.

The biggest take away, is that I don't know if these number already account for the selections made on 26 October.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but it looks like 91 for SNA/96 SNFO, with 122 and 109 respectively, quotas left to fill. However, there is a note on there that says only 45ish will be selected per board. I assume that's to leave room for the upcoming board to ensure their getting the most qualified over time.

What I was told from my recruiter is they will even out the boards in a "stop-light" system. So they don't lag or flood the pipeline.

exNavyOffRec

The hard numbers of what is open will come out in a few months, that could open up more space, unless they really screwed up and selected way too many people, that has happened before with SWO and Intel.

jonesy27

What I was told from my recruiter is they will even out the boards in a "stop-light" system. So they don't lag or flood the pipeline.
Right. Well this table that I'm looking at has the columns lit in red/yellow/green. SNA and SNFO are both in yellow. So what (some OR's to their candidates) saying is correct.

Red=Designator is closed. Applications will be pushed to the next FY
Yellow=Almost full. Contact PM prior to proceeding with the application. No waivers will be approved.
Green=Designator is open for submission.

There is a note I just noticed though that does specifically say that this flowchart is only effective starting 01NOV20.

Revitalized

I was on a call with my recruiter today for some info about getting me to MEPS and they told me that my application could still be submitted for the January board. They did mention something about certain designators being closed soon and that the next available application deadline would be April. That's in line with the board schedule that has already been posted, so I'm not sure what to make of that. I'll be meeting with them in a couple weeks and hopefully get some better information by then.

Fingers crossed for all of ya'll on this board.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
it looks like 91 for SNA/96 SNFO, with 122 and 109 respectively, quotas left to fill. However, there is a note on there that says only 45ish will be selected per board.
Now I understand why the boards after January are closed. It only makes sense to me that the 122/109 is for total FY21 quota's, not what is left, based on what we've heard.

It seems the 91 SNA and 96 SNFO signify the number of selections so far for FY21 including our October board.

The August board was the first board for FY21 selecting roughly 45 each, then our board selected another ~45 making it 91/96. January will have a lower selection rate because they only need 31 SNA's, and 13 NFO's based on those numbers to fill the quota.

Nerd stats:
With baseline 45 accepted assuming 115 candidates split 1:1 for SNA:NFO that's a ~39% selection rate.
115 SNA and 115 NFO totals to 230. 45 (selected) / 115 (possible) = 39%
This can fluctuate slightly if the actual number of available SNA/SNFO slots are different than the assumed 115 split.

Pretty good rate though for this board. I feel bad for January now lol

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Now I understand why the boards after January are closed. It only makes sense to me that the 122/109 is for total FY21 quota's, not what is left, based on what we've heard.

It seems the 91 SNA and 96 SNFO signify the number of selections so far for FY21 including our October board.

The August board was the first board for FY21 selecting roughly 45 each, then our board selected another ~45 making it 91/96. January will have a lower selection rate because they only need 31 SNA's, and 13 NFO's based on those numbers to fill the quota.

Nerd stats:
With baseline 45 accepted assuming 115 candidates split 1:1 for SNA:NFO that's a ~39% selection rate.
115 SNA and 115 NFO totals to 230. 45 (selected) / 115 (possible) = 39%
This can fluctuate slightly if the actual number of available SNA/SNFO slots are different than the assumed 115 split.

Pretty good rate though for this board. I feel bad for January now lol
Historically OCS commissions 200-250 Pilots via OCS and I believe NFO was about half of that, if they cap FY 21 selections at 50% of last years goal you are looking a 100-125 and 50, if that is the case then they are on track for pilot until the hard numbers come out in Jan and off track for NFO

The thing to remember is that selections don't matter as much as accession numbers. If the numbers you saw strictly in reference to numbers the board was given for selection then that is a different story.

Numbers without a full context of what they are in reference too can just lead to more questions and confusion.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Numbers without a full context of what they are in reference too can just lead to more questions and confusion.
True, I thought I had a eureka moment. May also selecting for FY21 throws that out the window with not knowing what the 122/109 means in relation to this October board. I thought it lined up, but it probably doesn't in the end lol.

Marcus_Aurelius

So it sounds like to me, our board is going to be highly competitive with very few slots. Am I misinterpreting all of your communication traffic thus far?

andoesph

So it sounds like to me, our board is going to be highly competitive with very few slots. Am I misinterpreting all of your communication traffic thus far?
I don't think anyone really knows the true numbers until they are released. Some have speculated a very large number, while others are on the complete opposite spectrum.