• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I'm trying to locate the article I ran across several months ago (I believe from Navy Times) because it seems there are a lot of individuals worried about scores, and getting selected etc. I read that there are certain cycles that consistently do better than others. The worst time to apply is in the summer, lots of people looking to join with high ASTB scores create a more competitive board. Contrast that with the current cycle, there can be a 25% increase in selection rate just by changing the cycle in which you apply.

That's why I'm telling individuals with a 6 or higher you have a good shot because the cycle we're applying to typically trends higher on the acceptance rate because either there are fewer individuals, or the competition is a little less fierce. Obviously reading this, someone would be frustrated if they weren't selected including myself, but It's good to keep in mind which board cycle you'd like to reapply to if time is on your side.
I've linked what I said previously, because I think it rings true now more than ever. Stop worrying about your scores and your selections. I said on page 19 that this board could select at a higher rate simply based on the time of year in which you're applying. This isn't hear-say, it was in a Navy article that for some reason I can't find for the life of me, or I would link it to everyone. exNavyOffRec also alluded to the fact that some boards can range from 25-50% selection rates from one board to the next. I think everything we're seeing so far being talked about on this forum suggests this board will be on the higher end of selection rates.

Relax and enjoy the ride! (Try not to add to the hysteria lol) You can take all of this with a grain of salt as well because until we see the recommendations come out, everything I'm saying could come out to be false. Hopefully to the contrary based on everything so far.

Terrypolanco2

hey quick but odd question, a buddy of mine is looking to join as well but cant decide whether to go Air Force OTS or Navy OCS to be a pilot. Is it true that the system for the AF is more cutthroat for civs and in favor of AD?

Also good luck to us on the Nov board. I hope results come soon.

alexng30

hey quick but odd question, a buddy of mine is looking to join as well but cant decide whether to go Air Force OTS or Navy OCS to be a pilot. Is it true that the system for the AF is more cutthroat for civs and in favor of AD?

Not sure about AD vs civ on the AF side, but I've heard that Air Force OTS is EXTREMELY competitive compared to Navy OCS. I've heard this is cause the AF uses OTS to fill up leftover slots rather than trying to get an even spread between the academy, ROTC, and OCS/OTS like the Navy does.

Apparently the selection process for OTS takes about a year from when you seriously meet with a recruiter. Seems kinda crazy compared to the Navy where it only took a few months to get everything set up.

Ghost SWO

Contributor

Not 100% sure what you mean but both (civ and AD) applications are highly competitive for the USAF. Are you referring to an AD option of just joining and applying while you're in? I've done that, would not advise.

TL;DR - Pick one branch based on what you want most. Apply for a pilot slot first and foremost, and don't waste your time joining any branch with the hopes of getting picked up for pilot later.

I was told by the Air Force recruiters in December 2019 that if you don't have 1.5 years to devote to the officer application process you should go to another branch, and I mean 1.5 years to just get in. The USAF has a slow and methodical approach. It took two months just to get on a conference call where they give 50+ people all the info at one time, then they say if you're still interested to send them an email. Part of the application process for the USAF is to see if you're willing to go through the process. The length of time and effort it takes to go through the process of putting a package together and submitting it is a weeding out mechanism for candidates. It is intentionally tedious.

To go in enlisted (AD) for the hope of getting a slot, is equally if not more competitive once you're in and you're looking at maybe 1 year to get in, and another 4+ years of being in the military. You need to be in long enough to acquire promotions and decorations to compete against NCO's and SNCO's that could have 10-15 years Time in Service. I wouldn't say it's in favor of AD, if anything, for the first several years in the military as enlisted, the odds are stacked against you. Generally speaking the pilot selection rate for AD guys is 15%. It's easier to get in as enlisted, but to do that for the purpose of flying? Nah. The people who are able to achieve this are an exception IMHO.

If you mean maybe joining the USAF as an officer and switching over to pilot, the recruiters said go to a different branch if you were looking at joining as a regular officer, they weren't going to waste their time on it. Granted, this could have just been my local officer recruiters as of December 2019 but it seemed like they wanted pilots, CSO's, or ABM's and the rest were not considered. That would be a question for his/her local recruiters.

Joining a different branch (AD) for the hopes of getting a pilot slot in the USN or USAF also seems a little bit unproductive. I'd say pick one that you can devote a year's worth of time to the application process and go from there. Or go talk to both recruiters, take the test for both and see how you fair from one to the other. I would NOT just join for the hopes of getting picked up for pilot later. If you can't get in as want you want, look elsewhere to maybe another branch but don't compromise and potentially hate your life for multiple years because of a bad decision.

I honestly think this is more of a lifestyle question that needs answered. There are some great forum posts already on that topic that would be worth the read about the differences from the USAF and USN pilot life from people who have been assigned to both. Of course, the path your friend can take can also be steered by test scores, ability to acquire waivers from different branches, ability to wait different lengths of time, and lifestyle differences between the USN and USAF. From what I hear, the USN is a little bit easier to get accepted as a pilot compared to the USAF.

Good luck to you as well on this board! Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround for results.

Terrypolanco2

Not 100% sure what you mean but both (civ and AD) applications are highly competitive for the USAF. Are you referring to an AD option of just joining and applying while you're in? I've done that, would not advise.

TL;DR - Pick one branch based on what you want most. Apply for a pilot slot first and foremost, and don't waste your time joining any branch with the hopes of getting picked up for pilot later.

I was told by the Air Force recruiters in December 2019 that if you don't have 1.5 years to devote to the officer application process you should go to another branch, and I mean 1.5 years to just get in. The USAF has a slow and methodical approach. It took two months just to get on a conference call where they give 50+ people all the info at one time, then they say if you're still interested to send them an email. Part of the application process for the USAF is to see if you're willing to go through the process. The length of time and effort it takes to go through the process of putting a package together and submitting it is a weeding out mechanism for candidates. It is intentionally tedious.

To go in enlisted (AD) for the hope of getting a slot, is equally if not more competitive once you're in and you're looking at maybe 1 year to get in, and another 4+ years of being in the military. You need to be in long enough to acquire promotions and decorations to compete against NCO's and SNCO's that could have 10-15 years Time in Service. I wouldn't say it's in favor of AD, if anything, for the first several years in the military as enlisted, the odds are stacked against you. Generally speaking the pilot selection rate for AD guys is 15%. It's easier to get in as enlisted, but to do that for the purpose of flying? Nah. The people who are able to achieve this are an exception IMHO.

If you mean maybe joining the USAF as an officer and switching over to pilot, the recruiters said go to a different branch if you were looking at joining as a regular officer, they weren't going to waste their time on it. Granted, this could have just been my local officer recruiters as of December 2019 but it seemed like they wanted pilots, CSO's, or ABM's and the rest were not considered. That would be a question for his/her local recruiters.

Joining a different branch (AD) for the hopes of getting a pilot slot in the USN or USAF also seems a little bit unproductive. I'd say pick one that you can devote a year's worth of time to the application process and go from there. Or go talk to both recruiters, take the test for both and see how you fair from one to the other. I would NOT just join for the hopes of getting picked up for pilot later. If you can't get in as want you want, look elsewhere to maybe another branch but don't compromise and potentially hate your life for multiple years because of a bad decision.

I honestly think this is more of a lifestyle question that needs answered. There are some great forum posts already on that topic that would be worth the read about the differences from the USAF and USN pilot life from people who have been assigned to both. Of course, the path your friend can take can also be steered by test scores, ability to acquire waivers from different branches, ability to wait different lengths of time, and lifestyle differences between the USN and USAF. From what I hear, the USN is a little bit easier to get accepted as a pilot compared to the USAF.

Good luck to you as well on this board! Fingers crossed for a quick turnaround for results.
I appreciate the information and it seems like it is more of a lifestyle choice. Logically I would think that the selection rate for pilots can be higher due to the various platforms they have. I didnt know that about the process and how tedious it was. Thankfully I prefer the navy haha.

On a side note for everyone else on this thread, I texted my OR this morning after what that guy said about getting early results and he said my results were still a couple weeks away for our NRD in Atlanta. he ALSO said that aviators in our board are probably getting shipped next July because of the backlog that has been filled due to covid. It will be nice and hot but i definitely dont wanna wait that long.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
I appreciate the information and it seems like it is more of a lifestyle choice. Logically I would think that the selection rate for pilots can be higher due to the various platforms they have. I didnt know that about the process and how tedious it was. Thankfully I prefer the navy haha.

On a side note for everyone else on this thread, I texted my OR this morning after what that guy said about getting early results and he said my results were still a couple weeks away for our NRD in Atlanta. he ALSO said that aviators in our board are probably getting shipped next July because of the backlog that has been filled due to covid. It will be nice and hot but i definitely dont wanna wait that long.

So, I was AFROTC for 3 years in college and I was number 1 in the DET class (based on PCSM). Went to field training and had a grand-ol' time. When I can back to get my selection I did not receive a pilot seat, even though I was a rated candidate. Our Det got 2 seats and they were both given to Flight Management majors as they both had a ridiculous amount of flight time (good PCSM's too). They wanted to stick me as a missileer or intel. The Cadre informed me that dropping and going OCS would guarantee me a selection. Welllllll, that never happened as the selection process is ridiculously long. Plus, seats are distributed from Academy to ROTC and the finally to OCS. There could be no seats available at the end. With COVID there has not been many. Friend of mine is an OR now and said he was given 1 seat for 3 or 4 states lol. I typed this on my phone so I apologize for grammar. Hope this helps.

cp801

Bear with me...pro rec means the official letter, correct? In that case, no. What I have is my recruiter went onto a site (don't know what exactly) and checked my selection status, and found that I am scheduled for Aug 2021. He says it may likely move up sooner than that date by the time I get my letter, but that I'm in.
I'm horribly ignorant to this process, so if I'm connecting dots that aren't ready to connect please tell me. But that's what I was told by my recruiter.
Hey guys, I've been hesitant to chime in here knowing nothing is concrete and we're all in the same waiting game. My recruiter called me Tuesday with similar news, saying that I'm "unofficially" scheduled for July '21. I'm excited but will continue holding my breath until official Pro-Rec/final selection results are released. Just thought it may serve as another interesting data point, my scores were pretty average (Submitted for SNA only, 53 6/7/7).

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Hey guys, I've been hesitant to chime in here knowing nothing is concrete and we're all in the same waiting game. My recruiter called me Tuesday with similar news, saying that I'm "unofficially" scheduled for July '21. I'm excited but will continue holding my breath until official Pro-Rec/final selection results are released. Just thought it may serve as another interesting data point, my scores were pretty average (Submitted for SNA only, 53 6/7/7).
The information circling around this board and the January board is raising some eyebrows to say the least. I'm not sure what's going on with these two boards in particular but I think it's going to be a very interesting few weeks and months for those of us involved. What is particularly interesting is the continuous flow of information about increased selection rates, even posts made today about indications of such. All is yet to be determined but I'd rather have that type of news, than news of very poor selection rates lol.

Good luck to you!

jonesy27

So I know the results are very unofficial, but have any of the other AD's found anything out? I just want to know so that I could pass a word up to my Skipper to have him ask around.