• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I’m sure the Army says Wheeler was the first attack site, but then NAS Kaneohe Bay was a couple minutes earlier.
This is from the Marines ;)

"As the planes came over Oahu's mountain ranges, they first assaulted Wheeler Army Airfield, and plummeted the base with bombs and machineguns. After a successful hit, this section of the first wave split in two. One half continued on to conduct the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor, with the other half-headed toward the Mokapu Peninsula. Led by Japanese Lt. Fusata Iida, a pilot with the Imperial Japanese Navy, the group of planes that targeted NAS K-Bay was not undetected "

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

@Marcus_Aurelius
It's also likely that if an OR, or NRD submits multiple kits at the same time at the last minute, the applicant number could have already been reached before the deadline. NRC will automatically roll those kits to the next board because they reached the limit on applicants for the current board.

I would concur with @Raptor234
In which case, an entire NRD will appear to be left off the board, but all their applications will be present on the following board. They hit the total applicant limit and pushed people to the next automatically.
NRC has rarely capped the number of applications for a board, that is why selection rates can vary from board to board, if there is an issue with too many applications the board can make sweeping cuts, like waivers, GPA, age, etc.... but it depends on the designator.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
NRC has rarely capped the number of applications for a board, that is why selection rates can vary from board to board, if there is an issue with too many applications the board can make sweeping cuts, like waivers, GPA, age, etc.... but it depends on the designator.
Why would whole NRD's not be on an at-board list then, if not for a rolling process due to capped applicants?

Is the at-board list somehow incomplete?

jake777x

There must be an offset somewhere, fewer people able to get out and get stuff done, but also way more people that now need a job due to COVID.

Similar to the increase in applicants/accession during recessions.

Typically this is a lower applied to board time but that doesn't account for the large influx of people needing a job ASAP.

I know for me, it was a matter of not finding fulfillment in my desk job. Especially as everything transitioned to work from home and I had the realization that I didn't have to be stuck in front of a computer all day. I had been thinking about military aviation since high school, but Covid was the finger that pulled the trigger. I have a great job that pays well, but I needed something bigger than that. I imagine I'm not the only one that's pursuing aviation due to these factors.

But I also agree that the uptick in unemployment is also a very large contributor.

exNavyOffRec

Why would whole NRD's not be on an at-board list then, if not for a rolling process due to capped applicants?

Is the at-board list somehow incomplete?
incomplete list, the NRD decided to hold all applications for the next board, the NRD processor screwed up and didn't get them submitted on time, or the NRC processor they were sent to was on leave and no one else bothered to work them. These are all things I have seen.

GodofAeons

I'm
I know for me, it was a matter of not finding fulfillment in my desk job. Especially as everything transitioned to work from home and I had the realization that I didn't have to be stuck in front of a computer all day. I had been thinking about military aviation since high school, but Covid was the finger that pulled the trigger. I have a great job that pays well, but I needed something bigger than that. I imagine I'm not the only one that's pursuing aviation due to these factors.

But I also agree that the uptick in unemployment is also a very large contributor.

I'm with you - I have a dream job. Making $52/hr, taking home $1,700 a week while working from home in my PJs.

But I'm just... empty. Unfulfilled. My heart doesn't belong here. I want to serve. I loved Law Enforcement and my brother is in the Navy, my cousin the Marines. Seeing their life got me interested and I know I want to serve.

If I don't make OCS, I'm doing the SMP to get my graduate degree with the Guard/ROTC and go AD on graduation. I'm going to serve one way or another.

H_ZNgineer

On or above Cloud 9
I'm surprised that too many applicants would be an issue, when I went through MEPS I was the only officer candidate that made it through the day without getting DQ'd (out of only 3 that showed up).

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
I'm surprised that too many applicants would be an issue, when I went through MEPS I was the only officer candidate that made it through the day without getting DQ'd (out of only 3 that showed up).
I was the only office candidate also, however, applicants are pulled from those already enlisted for OCS. As in many don’t need to visit meps again I believe

villo0692

I'm

I'm with you - I have a dream job. Making $52/hr, taking home $1,700 a week while working from home in my PJs.

But I'm just... empty. Unfulfilled. My heart doesn't belong here. I want to serve. I loved Law Enforcement and my brother is in the Navy, my cousin the Marines. Seeing their life got me interested and I know I want to serve.

If I don't make OCS, I'm doing the SMP to get my graduate degree with the Guard/ROTC and go AD on graduation. I'm going to serve one way or another.
Same here my brother, work as a Systems Engineer for a big defense conglomerate, making good money, benefits, all that jazz.......but I absolutely hate the lack of purpose here.....just another corporate slave, working my ass off making money for someone else. I'd rather die serving my country as a pilot, eod, seal, marine, airman, coastguardmen....than have my spirit die inside and look back at 6o yrs old realizing I wasted my entire life 28245

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
Same here my brother, work as a Systems Engineer for a big defense conglomerate, making good money, benefits, all that jazz.......but I absolutely hate the lack of purpose here.....just another corporate slave, working my ass off making money for someone else. I'd rather die serving my country as a pilot, eod, seal, marine, airman, coastguardmen....than have my spirit die inside and look back at 6o yrs old realizing I wasted my entire life View attachment 28245

I feel this! I manage a 100MM portfolio and make really good money. But, my gawd do I get board knowing that people are kicking butt and im staring at a computer.