• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Schooling for pilot is about 2 years for everything and about 1 year for NFO depending on how fast you accomplish your flights.
Yeah I figured that, so my initial thought was about 12 years of total commitment which was cool by me lol. The current rate for the civilian program I'm in is about 3 years to finish flight training so the Navy is faster and pays better lol.

The USAF has a 10 year commitment so I think I just assumed in my mind that it was going to be the same. I think I asked my OR the same thing about a year ago and he wasn't 100% sure but he thought that sounded right. Slightly off haha.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I went back to look at August's official recommendation letter if anyone is interested in the stats. We discussed previously the number of SNA and NFO selections as raw numbers but the overall selection rate was huge;

Board convened Aug 5 2020,
145 SNA ProRec-Y
59 NFO ProRec-Y

35 ProRec-N (For both SNA and NFO)
2 DNR (Do Not Return)

Total applicants: 241
SNA Selection rate of the total (145/241): 60%
NFO Selection rate of the total (59/241): 24.4%
(This is the 3:1 ratio typically seen for SNA:NFO)

Overall ProRec-Y selection rate (204/241): 84.6%
Overall ProRec-N non-selection rate (37/241): 15.4%

Just theorizing a bit here; If this board is taking just as long to push results out, the board may have either a similar selection rate, or a similar number of overall selected SNA and NFO candidates. I'd also speculate that if we had MORE selected candidates that results may take longer to push, which is good but also annoying.

Since we don't have results and we will be on the sixth week of waiting like the August board, I'm speculating that the selected candidate numbers in total for SNA and NFO selections already rival the August board... We'll see how it all plays out.

Forgedinwater

I went back to look at August's official recommendation letter if anyone is interested in the stats. We discussed previously the number of SNA and NFO selections as raw numbers but the overall selection rate was huge;

145 SNA ProRec-Y
59 NFO ProRec-Y

2 DNR (Do Not Return)

Just theorizing a bit here; If this board is taking just as long to push results out, the board may have either a similar selection rate, or a similar number of overall selected SNA and NFO candidates. I'd also speculate that if we had MORE selected candidates that results may take longer to push, which is good but also annoying.

Since we don't have results and we will be on the sixth week of waiting like the August board, I'm speculating that the selected candidate numbers in total for SNA and NFO selections already rival the August board... We'll see how it all plays out.
I like the optimism Ghost. I hope to see everyone here in Newport in 2020.

jake777x

145 SNA ProRec-Y
59 NFO ProRec-Y

2 DNR (Do Not Return)

Conversely, it may also be a smaller selection from a larger candidate pool causing them to have to make some tough decisions.
Hopefully your theory is the correct one. We'll find out eventually (hopefully tomorrow ?)

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Conversely, it may also be a smaller selection from a larger candidate pool causing them to have to make some tough decisions.
Hopefully your theory is the correct one. We'll find out eventually (hopefully tomorrow ?)
If you're referring to a highly selective board effecting our wait time in a negative manner that wouldn't make sense.

All of the selections (ProRec-Y/N) are decided the day of the board so the selectivity of the board wouldn't explain the wait after if it was very competitive. In fact, the more selective the board the less candidates they need to schedule for an OCS date. On the contrary, I think a highly selective board would be a faster turn-around for results.

In contrast, that would also mean that if the board selected a large number of people, it may take a while to sort them all out with OCS dates etc.

Last edited:

jake777x

If you're referring to a highly selective board effecting our wait time in a negative manner that wouldn't make sense.

All of the selections (ProRec-Y/N) are decided the day of the board so the selectivity of the board wouldn't explain the wait after if it was very competitive. In fact, the more selective the board the less candidates they need to schedule for an OCS date. On the contrary, I think a highly selective board would be a faster turn-around for results.

In contrast, that would also mean that if the board selected a large number of people, it may take a while to sort them all out with OCS dates etc.

Ok cool, that makes sense. I'm unfamiliar with this whole process, so I appreciate the insight.

exNavyOffRec

145 SNA ProRec-Y
59 NFO ProRec-Y

2 DNR (Do Not Return)

One thing to consider is that if they indeed are reducing class sizes again that then they would need extra time to adjust, that would also mean that the number of people they could commission in FY 21 would be lower, which means lower spots available, which again could lead to them taking time to figure things out.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
One thing to consider is that if they indeed are reducing class sizes again that then they would need extra time to adjust, that would also mean that the number of people they could commission in FY 21 would be lower, which means lower spots available, which again could lead to them taking time to figure things out.
So what you're saying is when our board had a high selection rate we broke the system?

high fives applicants

We did it everyone!

alexng30

Man, I'm just sitting here hoping my recruiter doesn't call me in the middle of a final. That'd get real awkward.

Not graduating until this coming summer so I guess I can afford to wait a while for a class date if selected.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Man, I'm just sitting here hoping my recruiter doesn't call me in the middle of a final. That'd get real awkward.

Not graduating until this coming summer so I guess I can afford to wait a while for a class date if selected.
That would work out good for you then with the current OCS dates.

Lol, sounds like when my recruiter called me a couple weeks ago in the middle of a midterm. I was glad I was on the last page because my brain was fried after seeing the name pop up on my phone. Not fun.

AndrewT98

Are the results of the November board still pending? I was told by my recruiter that this board got pushed back and combined with the upcoming board. If so, why might the Navy combine the two rated boards?