• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

SH4D0W

Took the ASTB for my 3rd time and I am so disappointed and baffled at my scores. I felt so confident after all my studies and I finished each section completely.

Here's a brief fact sheet on myself:
ASTB: 5/6/5 52
Received the highest award given by my college for academic excellence (Apr 2013)
College: Graduated Dec 2012, GPA: 3.96
Top of my graduating class
Top in my major (Computer Security Systems)
Swim 500yrds < 10min
Run 1.5mi < 12min

I was originally looking for INTEL/IW, but with those scores, I feel that I am not competitive for the Oct 14th, 2013 INTEL/IW Boards. Looking into SWO for the July 15th, 2013 board.

Can anyone give their $0.02 on a lateral transfer from SWO to INTEL? Thoughts/comments?

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Took the ASTB for my 3rd time and I am so disappointed and baffled at my scores. I felt so confident after all my studies and I finished each section completely.

Received the highest award given by my college for academic excellence (Apr 2013)
Swim 500yrds < 10min
Run 1.5mi < 12min

I was originally looking for INTEL/IW, but with those scores, I feel that I am not competitive for the Oct 14th, 2013 INTEL/IW Boards. Looking into SWO for the July 15th, 2013 board.

Can anyone give their $0.02 on a lateral transfer from SWO to INTEL? Thoughts/comments?

I am so sorry to hear that man I have nightmares that I take it a third and final time and don't do well. All you can do is apply and see what happens!

USAF_WX2USN

Swim 500yrds < 10min
Run 1.5mi < 12min

Actually there is also a SWO-intel option. Your scores are not that bad and your gpa is great. I will still apply. I was picked up on the IDC board with a 49. Granted mine was for a specific job with a certain skill set, but still. There were plenty of others picked up on the feb board with your scores and lower.

exNavyOffRec

Actually there is also a SWO-intel option. Your scores are not that bad and your gpa is great. I will still apply. I was picked up on the IDC board with a 49. Granted mine was for a specific job with a certain skill set, but still. There were plenty of others picked up on the feb board with your scores and lower.
The swo-Intel is on the books but has a zero quota, the one? that was put in that designator last year was a redesignation at OCS, probably nuke or aviation that was NPQd there

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Swim 500yrds < 10min
Run 1.5mi < 12min

Thoughts/comments?
Dude, time for an attitude adjustment. You're whining, while selling yourself short. Understand your disappointment with the 5 6 5, now get over it... with 'that' exception; it's a pretty strong kit, as your GPA & academic honors and achievements are eye-catchers for the board, and more than make up for those [slightly below avg.] 3 numbers. I've been "down the road", and IMHO, you ARE COMPETITIVE!:p

So stop cryin' & start flyin', there are many more hoops to be jumped through along the way... BTDT!;)
BzB:cool:

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
Hello all! This is my first post here, so I'll keep it short. I am currently active duty Navy, AWR type, and am interested in applying for STA-21. Took the ASTB on friday and my scores are as follows, 6/7/6 47. My question is, with a very average college gpa (2.5), will those scores be competitive for pilot/nfo/core option based off of what youve seen in the past?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello all! This is my first post here, so I'll keep it short. I am currently active duty Navy, AWR type, and am interested in applying for STA-21. Took the ASTB on friday and my scores are as follows, 6/7/6 47. My question is, with a very average college gpa (2.5), will those scores be competitive for pilot/nfo/core option based off of what youve seen in the past?
Depends. When did you earn that sub-average GPA? If on active duty, then you have some explaining to do. If it was before your time in the service, then that can be attributed to not being ready for college. There is NO prior college requirement for STA-21. Have you read through the program requirements? Make sure explain your less-than-stellar GPA in your motivational statement. The ASTB score are pass/fail for STA-21. I don't believe it make you more or less competitive. What really matters: clear record, superior performance documented in your EVALS, warfare qualifications, awards, and STRONG CO's recommendation.

cmwz1510r

pilot
None
Depends. When did you earn that sub-average GPA? If on active duty, then you have some explaining to do. If it was before your time in the service, then that can be attributed to not being ready for college. There is NO prior college requirement for STA-21. Have you read through the program requirements? Make sure explain your less-than-stellar GPA in your motivational statement. The ASTB score are pass/fail for STA-21. I don't believe it make you more or less competitive. What really matters: clear record, superior performance documented in your EVALS, warfare qualifications, awards, and STRONG CO's recommendation.

I can say honestly say that my GPA was earned before the Navy, also my EVALS are good, and I have every qual I need plus a few I do not. The down side is that I am 27. I can complete all requirements for a degree within a year, but not in an online setting. I would need the full day of classes as my job. As far as the ASTB goes are those scores passing? I know they meet the requirements for the program, but I don't understand what you mean by pass/fail.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can say honestly say that my GPA was earned before the Navy, also my EVALS are good, and I have every qual I need plus a few I do not. The down side is that I am 27. I can complete all requirements for a degree within a year, but not in an online setting. I would need the full day of classes as my job. As far as the ASTB goes are those scores passing? I know they meet the requirements for the program, but I don't understand what you mean by pass/fail.
Pass/Fail: As long as you meet the min, you've passed. (You have). Twenty-Seven is no problem with an age waiver. If STA-21 doesn't work out, you can apply for OCS after you've completed your degree.

Adam Smith

First time posting here, just looking to get an idea where I stand. I just took the ASTB for the first time and my scores were 6/5/6 53. I am trying to do aviation. I graduated college with a 3.3 in Biology including several different honor societies. I am an Eagle Scout and currently work as a scientist in a vaccine lab. I am working with my recruiter to submit my application for the first time. Can any give me an idea of my chances? Thanks

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First time posting here, just looking to get an idea where I stand. I just took the ASTB for the first time and my scores were 6/5/6 53. I am trying to do aviation. I graduated college with a 3.3 in Biology including several different honor societies. I am an Eagle Scout and currently work as a scientist in a vaccine lab. I am working with my recruiter to submit my application for the first time. Can any give me an idea of my chances? Thanks
READ THE THREADS before asking about chances! The only valid "chances" answer is "Chances are 0% if you don't apply":rolleyes: .

Your ASTB scores are fair, GPA is very good, Eagle Scout & Honor Societies a plus. Beef it up w/ 3-4 good LORs, any volunteer work, sports/fitness achievements, etc. It's all here in the forums. Search, research, and READ!;)
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can any give me an idea of my chances? Thanks
Here's a handy formula:
P(A) = The Number Of Ways Event A Can Occur / The total number Of Possible Outcomes

I'll let you fill in the variables.

BTW, if you haven't figured out, this site cannot answer the question. Take BZB's advice and do some reading....compare and contrast your stats with others that have gone before you.

SH4D0W

Dude, time for an attitude adjustment. You're whining, while selling yourself short. Understand your disappointment with the 5 6 5, now get over it... with 'that' exception; it's a pretty strong kit, as your GPA & academic honors and achievements are eye-catchers for the board, and more than make up for those [slightly below avg.] 3 numbers. I've been "down the road", and IMHO, you ARE COMPETITIVE!:p

So stop cryin' & start flyin', there are many more hoops to be jumped through along the way... BTDT!;)
BzB:cool:

Cheers BzB! My chin is up. When I wrote that I was just bummed out. I'm applying for SWO for the July board and if I am a non-select, then I will apply for the Intel board again this October! :D