• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

matt_c

Took the OAR for a second time today. Score increased drastically and went from a 32 to a 51. Lots of hours studying, but I will say that I have seen a lot of people recommend the Barron’s book and I will agree that it’s a good one to use.

Math section was pretty expected. Lots of word problems and fractions.

Reading section was super dry. Lots of questions about Navy regulations. I would recommend reading the passage multiple times and then reading the options and then comparing them.

Mechanical was surprisingly 99% questions and only about 2 questions pertaining to force and tension related images.

I feel pretty comfortable with my package so far. 3 LORs from Admirals, 1 Captain and one LCDR. 5 years prior enlisted in naval aviation with Executive branch experience and aerospace and defense experience. 2.8 GPA and graduating in May.

Jacob1792

Took the ASTB a couple days ago. Background: 26, MIS major, 3.10 GPA, Prior enlisted Airman, Pilot and NFO age waiver. I honestly felt underprepared going into it; I work full time, go to school full time, and drill for the AirNG once a month. However, I studied the crap out of these flashcards which were a huge help for the ANIT, and I also worked through the math problem document that Jacob's (the 9/9/9 guy) post linked to which was also a great refresher.

For the math section, I didn't really get anything that I thought was too difficult so I was kind of worried, knowing that the test is adaptive. I never got kicked out of the test and I actually ran out of time. Most of the questions that I remember had to do with solving for x, and there was one about the odds of getting a heart from a shuffled deck. Also, there were a couple questions about finding the last two test scores, knowing the final average and the other test scores. Another one was finding the missing angle of an acute triangle where the other two angles are like (3x-1) and the missing angle's supplementary angle was 4x. Another one had to do with a barn's size based on its shadow knowing a man's height and the shadow's height.

Reading: Went into this confident. I'm a reader, after all..Wow, incredibly boring and they do a great job trying to trick you. Also ran out of time on this one. All the aforementioned tips are correct. Only one answer is fully supported by the paragraph, so pay attention. I was pretty drained when this portion started and the questions also seemed to alternate between easy and hard which had me confused.

Mechanical: I have practically no background in mechanics. I also barely studied for this section which was stupid, and I honestly had to give my best educated guess on almost every problem. I had a questions like: At the same time, a bullet is fired from a gun and a bullet is dropped from the same height. Which will reach the ground faster? I said the gun bullet. Some other ones: where is the kinetic enegy greater, trying to find the mass of a toy car that is pushed with the force of 4 somethings and travels 2 m/s^2(I guessed 2kg), which ball would reach the ground faster if one was dropped and one was tossed into the air(guessed the tossed ball). No gear, pulley, etc questions.

NATFI: awful. You don't take the NATFI, the NATFI takes you.

UAV: Definitely use the flashcards linked in this thread. The practice session was helpful, but I was somewhat nervous on this portion and missed 3 because I was trying to go to fast. One of those errors was because I clicked a box I didn't mean to, so try and remain calm during this section. I ranged from 1.X seconds to 5.

Dichotic listening: Not terrible. Lean into the ear your supposed to be listening to. I got a couple wrong because I pressed the wrong button trying to be extremely quick.

Vertical tracking: Not very hard at all. It tries to shake you but when you're only focusing on it, it's not difficult.

Aircraft tracking: Not very easy. I switched all my gaming to inverted Y axis and it was a MASSIVE help. I can't even play games with a normal Y axis anymore, I'm ruined.

Both at the same time: I felt like a hot mess. I can't give any tips here, I basically just tried to get in the zone and do the damn thing.

Both with listening: My favorite part, because the listening distracted me from how poorly I thought I was doing.

Emergency Procedures: I wrote them down, and I recommend you do as well, but they were so simple I didn't reference the sheet. The first emergency I forgot to press the clutch to reset for a few seconds, but the next two went well.

When this was all over I saw my scores: 57 6/7/7. Not the greatest, but I literally did a jumping fist pump on my way to the door(I was the only examinee). My recruiter seemed pretty happy with them too. I was disqualified from pilot at the NAMI because my eyesight was just poor enough so I'll probably only apply for NFO since I'm iffy about LASIK.

Well done, bud. Glad to see that my post is still useful after all this time. Based on scores in recent OCS classes I think you have a good shot at NFO. Best of luck!

Hello,

I did my astb retake today (2nd attempt). Scored a 51 6/6/6. I used the study guides presented as well as the MATLAB PBM simulator, i know the acores arent amazing but i would love to know where that really stands as far as competitiveness.

Thank you.

Rahul Gupta

Hello,

I did my astb retake today (2nd attempt). Scored a 51 6/6/6. I used the study guides presented as well as the MATLAB PBM simulator, i know the acores arent amazing but i would love to know where that really stands as far as competitiveness.

Thank you.
Not bad, especially for your first time! Those are good scores, however, I want you to ask yourself if you would feel that you can do a little better the 2nd time around. If the answer is yes, then take it again and if not then live with em'. If you look on page 306, you'll see that you have fairly identical scores to me (just a tad bit higher on the OAR for you - I got a 6/6/6 46). So you can look at it like this, (a) your odds, someone correct me if I am wrong, of scoring higher is more likely than you scoring lower the second time since you can only improve from here (unless you were at like all 7's or 8's then its very hard to make that upward improvement) (b) You have solid scores for Navy and, if u were to go to USMC, assuming you can crush the PT exam (as expected of every Marine) you're practically a pilot for them.

All in all, you have good scores and are in a fairly similar predicament as myself. Personally, I am using the 5 weeks I have to prepare from everything off of this forum along with an order of the ARCO GRE Math book 6th edition along with revision from my old study sources (listed on pg. 306 of this forum) to take my second stab at this test. It's up to you in the end, but I say, why not give it a second shot since the odds of improving are in your favor (again, someone correct me if I am wrong here).

Rahul Gupta

Can someone please explain the logic of this MCT question, I can't rest until I get it. Personally I disagree with the "correct" answer, maybe one of you on here might be able to explain. Here's my logic: All the valves are closed initially, thus, opening valve 7 will allow air to flow directly into G then opening valve 3 will allow air to go directly into S, now here's the issue, my logic also dictates that opening valve 4 will allow air to go into M. Thus, I get B. However, the correct answer is D (opening valves 7,3,5) which I'm sure is a typo error at this point unless someone here can kindly explain to me the logic? (Image attached below along with link to book - pg. 65 in book and on pdf it's pg. 75/456). There's also been a correction to the image which I've also attached below, thanks in advance!

http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/pdf/free/mastermilitaryflight.pdf

Attachments

• astb mct question air valve.PNG
    astb mct question air valve.PNG
    88.2 KB · Views: 82
  • astb mct valve question v2.PNG
    astb mct valve question v2.PNG
    57.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can someone please explain the logic of this MCT question, I can't rest until I get it. Personally I disagree with the "correct" answer, maybe one of you on here might be able to explain. Here's my logic: All the valves are closed initially, thus, opening valve 7 will allow air to flow directly into G then opening valve 3 will allow air to go directly into S, now here's the issue, my logic also dictates that opening valve 4 will allow air to go into M. However, the correct answer is D (opening valves 7,3,5) which I'm sure is a typo error at this point unless someone here can kindly explain to me the logic? (Image attached below along with link to book - pg. 65 in book and on pdf it's pg. 75/456). There's also been a correction to the image which I've also attached below, thanks in advance!

Dude, it’s Christmas (eve). Relax.

PhlyHigh94

Can someone please explain the logic of this MCT question, I can't rest until I get it. Personally I disagree with the "correct" answer, maybe one of you on here might be able to explain. Here's my logic: All the valves are closed initially, thus, opening valve 7 will allow air to flow directly into G then opening valve 3 will allow air to go directly into S, now here's the issue, my logic also dictates that opening valve 4 will allow air to go into M. Thus, I get B. However, the correct answer is D (opening valves 7,3,5) which I'm sure is a typo error at this point unless someone here can kindly explain to me the logic? (Image attached below along with link to book - pg. 65 in book and on pdf it's pg. 75/456). There's also been a correction to the image which I've also attached below, thanks in advance!

I think it's either of them. 7,3,5 and 7,3,4. Again, Navy tests are not perfect.

PhlyHigh94

Hey guys. I just took the test for the second time today. For my first attempt, I got a 53 5/5/6 after a week of studying. After another month of studying for my second attempt, I improved to a 58 7/7/8. I got much of my preparation advice from this thread, but I wanted to point out things I did that I haven't seen yet on this thread.

Math: A lot of people recommend Khan Academy. Khan Academy is good, but I mostly used the YouTube channel “The Organic Chemistry Tutor.” The guy explains things really well and provides excellent practice problems with his lessons. I specifically studied for:

• logarithms (adding, subtracting, change of base formula)
  • matrices (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing)
  • equations with fractional exponents and radicals (including multiplication with different indexes and radicals in the denominator)
  • perfect numbers (6, 28, 496, 8128)
  • system of equations
  • finding the quantity of a series, finding the sum of that arithmetic series
I also looked at the study guide attached and searched the thread for common word problems people had trouble with.

Reading Comprehension: Read the passages aloud. It’ll help you stay awake.

ANIT: Flash cards. Below are the ones I used:

Comprehensive ANIT

Aviation history

Aircraft Crew/Shirt colors

US Navy Ratings

Naval Aircraft

I also looked up naval aircraft designation numbers on Wikipedia, and this for additional history

DISCLAIMER: I knew all of these flashcards and links (almost) perfectly, and I still only knew about 60-70% of the questions.

UAV: These flashcards. Whenever I saw the arrow pointing in a direction between two headings, I read it like this: NE, ES, SW, WN. The first letter was always the top left corner and the second letter was the top right. If you know these two, you can figure out the other two squares easily since it’s just the opposite side (example: opposite corner of north is south, opposite of west is east, etc.). I hope that made sense.

I didn’t really practice for the stick and throttle part of the test, but my recruiter gave me some good advice: don’t worry about being exactly on target. Just focus on staying behind and mimicking its movements. This took pressure off me and I ended up doing much better.

Everything else I did to prepare can be found on post 4462 and 4531. Just check out the entire thread, it has a bunch of good stuff.

Best of luck everyone!
Can you please post video links for Organic Chemistry that specifically includes those math topics. I watch him too but he's got so many videos with similar titles that I don't know which ones to watch that touch on those topics. Merry Chrithmith.

PhlyHigh94

Hello,

Thank you.
- How the hell did you use a simulator for pbm? How can I install that? Or where?

CaM119

Hey, all, here's my two cents.

I took the ASTB on 11/26/18, the Monday after Thanksgiving, at 1000. Scores were 68 8/7/8. Applying for NFO.

Background
I'm a double major in Sociology and Mathematics finishing up my last couple quarters at university. I currently have a 3.14 cumulative GPA, but will hopefully finish off my schooling around a 3.3, or higher (I am retaking a class I tanked). My university grinds us pretty hard, so I'm used to tests. I have no prior flight experience, simulated or otherwise.

Studying
I studied for about two weeks using this study book off of Amazon and reviewed it for about a week before my exam, focusing primarily on the aviation, nautical, and mechanical sections as I felt confident with the math and writing sections from my university background. I carefully read the sections on the PBM so that I understood what would be asked of me during that phase of the testing. I really liked this book as it was relatively inexpensive, covered a good breadth of material at a reasonable depth, and, most importantly, it explained how each scored section was weighted. According to my book, your AQR and FOFAR scores are heavily influenced by how well you perform on the MST, which was what mattered to me.

Additionally, I reviewed some online flash cards for the parking lot piece of the PBM, but I cannot seem to find the link right now. Will update if I find it, though it was definitely floating around in one of the stickied threads.

Test Day
I had average sleep that night and I don't think I drank any coffee as I did not want to be jittery. I had a light breakfast and brought a few snacks with me (KIND bars). I arrived at my recruiting station early, so I spent about 15 minutes lightly reviewing the aviation and nautical sections. This helped immensely, but more on that later.

MST (Math Skills Test)
I saw a range of questions here including probability (dice), basic fractions, quadratic equations, systems of linear equations, a few word problems including rates (think two mechanics each fix a different number of cars per unit time, blah blah...), and some shitty exponents (numbers raised to fractional powers).

The computer ended the exam before my time elapsed, so I assumed it had gathered enough on me.

RCT (Reading Comprehension Test)
Almost every reading piece I received was some kind of Navy document, most likely taken from briefs, memos, and training manuals. Holy shit were those entries dry. The questions asked were everything from straightforward to four versions of essentially the same sentence with its words in a different order to subtly change the meaning.

I sat this section for the full amount of time and I honestly questioned my ability to read and extract information at the end of it as sometimes the system would lag heavily when I submitted an answer and I'm wondering, "Did I fuck that one up? Is it wondering how dumb I am?"

MCT (Mechanical Comprehension Test)
I saw the usual range of questions discussed here on Air Warriors including pulley systems, guys jumping off boats onto docks (don't recommend that on small boats), blocks on ramps, shit falling out of the sky, and a few nuclear (conceptual) flavored questions. Oddly, I was asked one question about superconducting, which seemed a bit unusual based on the other questions I saw.

Unfortunately, I do not remember if I ran out the clock on this portion of the exam or it ended early.

ANIT (Aviation and Nautical Information Test)
I feel like I got off easy here. I had one history-type question that asked about a class of fighter plane from WW2. Other than that, it was a standard range of questions including, but not limited to, parts of the airplane such as the elevators, ailerons, and rudder, parts of a ship, including the beam, draft, and deck, and the standard layout of airports.

As I mentioned earlier, my light review of my book before the exam proved useful as I covered the aforementioned parts and then received multiple questions on those topics. Dumb luck.

NATFI (Naval Aviation Trait Facet Battery)
As was said by another posted, "You do not take the NATFI, the NATFI takes you." I moved through this section fairly quickly, doing my best to answer each pair of options by instinct. I did give some thought to some.

PBM (Performance Based Measures Battery)
I found this section challenging in a fun way. The fact that I am not going for pilot made it easy for me to relax a little during this section. The UAV section took me a bit of time to warm-up to, but felt dialed in after the first 8-10. My times were not particularly speedy, though.

The dichotic listening test was pretty straight forward. Tracking the plane in 1D (up and down) was also straight forward, but tricky. Tracking the plane in 2D (across the plane) was hard. Doing everything all together was madness, but oddly enjoyable compared to doing it all separately. I did the best that I could, but felt pretty all over the place.

Advice/Remarks
Looking back on my test experience, I strongly recommend that you should review everything, rather than be selective like I was. While most of the math questions asked were pretty simple, I hadn't done simple calculations in a while, so I was slower than I could have been, definitely botched one or two.

On the reading pieces I received, I let myself get bogged down in how dull they were and I did not study for the RCT at all. DO NOT DO THIS. Even if it is just a little bit, review for this section. Success depends on being able to choose the best answer and you will often be given answers that are similar. Practice on dry, shitty documents, wherever you can find them.

For the NAFTI, just plug away by instinct. Don't let those questions bog you down or psyche you out, especially since they come right before the PBM, and you want to be in a focused, but relaxed frame of mind for that.

For the PBM, give yourself a few minutes to feel out your controls and understand how they handle and what condition they are in. Mine were somewhat loose, so I knew to expect that, but I did not notice until I was using them that the suction cups on the bottom of them did not work...

While studying, remember that understanding the ASTB and how its subsections work and are weighted as well as general test taking strategy will all be as important, if not slightly more important, than the amount of material you actually know. I am not saying to study or know less material, but that you should not neglect sharpening your test taking skills or understanding of the ASTB itself.

If your computer starts acting funny, lagging, or just being weird, don't let it phase you; just plug away at your section and grab your recruiter if it gets bad or crashes. Do not look for patterns in the kind of questions you get. Yes, it is a CAT system, but just focus on answering questions. I let this little behavior get the better of me during the RCT and I think it negatively impacted my performance. I squared myself off moving into the next sections; you can, too.

And of course, get the best sleep you possibly can, eat some kind of breakfast, and avoid caffeine/energy drinks/stimulants if at all possible, especially if you know they make you jittery.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for reading, and best of luck on your exam and with your package! You got this!

P.S. Yes, yes, no TL;DR. Just skim it, friend.

johnferry

Can you please post video links for Organic Chemistry that specifically includes those math topics. I watch him too but he's got so many videos with similar titles that I don't know which ones to watch that touch on those topics. Merry Chrithmith.
Hey man, sorry for the late response. You’re right, he has multiple videos on those topics. Simply watch all of them lol. That’s what I did

PhlyHigh94

Hey man, sorry for the late response. You’re right, he has multiple videos on those topics. Simply watch all of them lol. That’s what I did
- Do you know about that matlab sim that supposedly trains for the pbm? If anyone knows about it, let me know how I can get it to work so I can practice. I’m retaking the ASTB soon.