• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jdon4

Hi everyone,
I just recently took the ASTB and scored a 56 7/6/8. What do my chances look like for the Navy? I want to gauge if I should consider prepping for my second attempt or just keep my scores and see if I can get into OCS.

dav246

Hi everyone,
I just recently took the ASTB and scored a 56 7/6/8. What do my chances look like for the Navy? I want to gauge if I should consider prepping for my second attempt or just keep my scores and see if I can get into OCS.
What position?

flyORdie

Hi everyone,
You are competitive for SNFO with that 8 FOFAR but not competitive for SNA with that 6 PFAR. You can also gauge your chances based on the previous SNA/SNFO boards excel sheets that float around here.

dav246

So Warriors, I have the opportunity to take my final ASTB and still secure an air contract. I would have to take it on Nov 6th.

From my RO: "We would get you selected as ground on the board. Then, we would get your passing ASTB score. Followed by getting your flight physical. Finally we would submit the component change, from ground to air, prior to you shipping to OCS. If we miss this board I would most likely not be able to get you to OCS until September/October of 2024."

What do you gentlemen think? This vs gunning for a competitive slot in TBS.

jpillo0811

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out I need to get an app where I can get the right type of practice questions for the ASTB exam, but more specifically for the PFAR and AQR sections. I downloaded an app from the app store called OAR and ASTB tutoring, but the thing about those two is that on the aviation section, they do not provide the best practice questions that are very similar to the ones on the test. So could someone please let me know if they have an app or source where I could ask questions that are similar that came on the test for the aviation sections? Thank youuuu.

dav246

Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out I need to get an app where I can get the right type of practice questions for the ASTB exam, but more specifically for the PFAR and AQR sections. I downloaded an app from the app store called OAR and ASTB tutoring, but the thing about those two is that on the aviation section, they do not provide the best practice questions that are very similar to the ones on the test. So could someone please let me know if they have an app or source where I could ask questions that are similar that came on the test for the aviation sections? Thank youuuu.
You will find the answers you seek on TwoScoops/Alex Hastings ASTB prep app on the apple store. Also available for Android. 20 bucks, worth every cent. Also, buy the x52 and grind with Jantzens simulator if you haven't already.

Danger95

I know the app you are referring to and tbh some of the questions in the aviation section were on the anit portion of my 1st attempt at least 5-8 of em

I'm updating on a post I posted some weeks ago now that I went back to finish my exam (due to the exam crashing at the original site) about a week ago now - been busy with other things to have posted this a lot sooner. But I ended up getting a 51 6/7/6 and a 63 for the LPSS (not sure what this is if anyone can enlighten me on this). My goal is to apply for SNA and from the looks at this forum, clearly better scores are needed to be competitive for that position. But I was also told by my recruiter that the entire process is holistic in a sense - that they see the "entire person". Not sure what he exactly meant by that but I took it as in each individual and their accomplishments so far - and if so, I am confident that would not be an issue for me. Not sure if anyone can verify that claim.

Math: I consider myself pretty good at math and have done every exam prep you can think of and find. However, as I previously said, the questions became extremely harder and more time consuming than I originally expected within 2 questions or so - which I was not really expecting and dropped the ball with. My mindset was to try to think it through for a bit and if I couldn't think of answer right away or at all, to make an educated guess.

Reading: It is what it is. Not much can be really prepared for this and I felt I did ok

Mechanical Comprehension: Really dropped the ball with this considering I graduated with a degree in physics. The questions were pretty straight forward; however, at one point I misclicked by accident since I had my cursor over an answer, panicked, and misclicked again. Other than that, not too bad.

ANIT: Pretty straightforward stuff. A couple of very specific questions that I rarely saw when studying. But majority were the basics.

Skipping the "personality questions". Not sure how else to explain this or how to perform best - unless anyone can enlighten me on if that's even possible.

UAV: I believed I missed two or three and averaged about 1-2 secs. Used the compass trick. Should have practice this way more before hand. Really only had two sessions of practicing this - including right before leaving to the exam.

Dichostic Listening: I also dropped the ball on this one since I was very confused on what exactly they were asking for. Plus, it didn't help that they just threw me straight into the actual attempt without a warning after the practice round. And just to be sure for the next time, is the entire premise to listen from a specific ear (that they tell you before hand or during the exam as it changes) and to only respond to that ear with the appropriate click of button/trigger based on whether its an odd or even number? This how I interpreted it and came to understand after the actual attempt.

Vertical, 2D Tracking, Vertical+2D Tracking+Dichostic Listening, Emergency Scenarios: Clumping all of these together since the tracking I felt I had nailed down since I've been practice with a joystick and throttle setup for months now. Plus, it was at the Vertical+2D+Dichostic that I realized what they were looking for from the listening aspect. Likewise, the emergency scenarios weren't bad at all and dealt with them with relative ease and quickly.

Now it was at this point that I thought the exam was over. Then realized that there was a NEW PORTION. Took me by surprise and was not expecting it at all. Likewise, can anyone enlighten me on how to best study for that?

MotorCookie

@ActuallyPoetic You can practice for the new section through the ASTB Prep app.

So Warriors, I have the opportunity to take my final ASTB and still secure an air contract. I would have to take it on Nov 6th.

From my RO: "We would get you selected as ground on the board. Then, we would get your passing ASTB score. Followed by getting your flight physical. Finally we would submit the component change, from ground to air, prior to you shipping to OCS. If we miss this board I would most likely not be able to get you to OCS until September/October of 2024."

What do you gentlemen think? This vs gunning for a competitive slot in TBS.
That's a tough one. I don't know anything about the Marines but all I can say is I wish you luck.