• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

dav246

That's interesting that they let you come back to finish the rest.

If the math questions got very hard for you early on in the test, then you were doing very good. The test wants to see at what level of math you're at.
You do have the option of taking just the OAR and then taking the rest within 30 days.

GoldenZDC

Hey all, just took my ASTB retake and went from a 52 6,6,6 to a 51, 6,8,7 by God's grace. I know somewhere on here there is essentially a little outline of competitive scores for each "position" (SNA, NFO, etc.) Does anyone know where that is so I can compare scores? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Reactions: DBM

eqleer

Hello.

I am studying using Barron's guide and came across the attached problem. I am not 100% sure how the correct answer was worked out.

Perhaps I am missing something but in the provided diagram, wouldn't gear B, if it were rotating, be affecting all the gears? Or am I misinterpreting the question and what it actually means by "Gear B is intended to mesh with" is "which gear would Gear B be able to rotate if aligned properly"?

The correct answer choice, according to the Barron book, was C with the explanation being that gears A and D are in constant mesh and F is too small.
You maybe over thinking it. If B moves left or right which gears can it mesh with or interlock. Gear A wouldn't mesh just rub against, gear D would just hit the side, gear E is the only one that is the correct height for the teeth of the gears to actually mesh.

Hope this helps.

jgeraghty

Hey all, just took my ASTB retake and went from a 52 6,6,6 to a 51, 6,8,7 by God's grace. I know somewhere on here there is essentially a little outline of competitive scores for each "position" (SNA, NFO, etc.) Does anyone know where that is so I can compare scores? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
Congrats on your score. I'm not sure about the outline you're referencing, but it might be worth checking out the spreadsheet if you haven't already.

lecdbt

Congrats on your score. I'm not sure about the outline you're referencing, but it might be worth checking out the spreadsheet if you haven't already.
If I might ask, what do "pro-rec-Y," "pro-rec-N," "at board, not at-board," and "pushed at-board" mean?

Also, is there a similar spreadsheet for the acceptance rate of other jobs like SWO, Intel, etc.?

exNavyOffRec

If I might ask, what do "pro-rec-Y," "pro-rec-N," "at board, not at-board," and "pushed at-board" mean?

Also, is there a similar spreadsheet for the acceptance rate of other jobs like SWO, Intel, etc.?
Y is selected while N is not, at board means you are just waiting for the board to convene.

be aware the acceptance rates on those sheets are a small portion of those at the actual board, 10-20 percent or so.

fearedengineer

Does anyone know what sections of the ASTB just affect the AQR score? same with the PFAR, and FOFAR? From what my recruiter told me he thinks(not entirely sure) none of the OAR(math, reading, mechanics) affect those three scores. Is the AQR mostly affected by the Aviation and Nautical Info section + Math(remember reading that somewhere)? While the PFAR is affected by the throttle and stick section? Same with FOFAR being affected by the UAV and now the new Terrain ID section.

Last edited:

dav246

Does anyone know what sections of the ASTB just affect the AQR score? same with the PFAR, and FOFAR? From what my recruiter told me he thinks(not entirely sure) none of the OAR(math, reading, mechanics) affect those three scores. Is the AQR mostly affected by the Aviation and Nautical Info section + Math(remember reading that somewhere)? While the PFAR is affected by the throttle and stick section? Same with FOFAR being affected by the UAV and now the new Terrain ID section.
Your AQR is mostly based on all academic portions of the ASTB. So basically the ANIT and OAR

dav246

But also, thinking about it, and I feel like the UAV has more to do with the PFAR than we think, because my first go I was averaging like 5 seconds and got several wrong on the UAV, and I literally got a 6 on the FOFAR and a 4 on the PFAR. 2nd go I was averaging 2.5 seconds and got two wrong, and still got a 6 FOFAR but a 5 on the PFAR. And I did not do that much better on the PBM than before.

Ashotts

Does someone know an easier way to find south on the UAV portion. When it is looking for north I can find it easily in any direction but when it goes to the south questions I cannot figure out how they got it. Thanks

GoldenZDC

There is the compass trick which you can look up on this forum to help. One trick that worked for me while doing the UAV portion was to identify which direction the nose of the airplane needed to turn to to be facing the direction that I needed to find (NESW). If I needed to turn one "line" left or right, then the target was either top left or right. If I needed to turn two "lines" then it was either bottom left or right. Hopefully that helps.

fearedengineer

Question about the emergency section on the ASTB. I recently got the X52 throttle and stick and I am currently practicing on Janztem sim. To people who took the ASTB is the emergency protocol the same as the one in the sim or is it randomized and completely different? The one on the sim is Fire: 100 Fuel, 0 Engine; Engine: 0 Fuel: 0, Engine: 100; Propeller: 50 Fuel, 100:Engine. Also to those who took the exam or used the X52 which button was mapped for the even numbers, odd numbers, and emergency enter? For mine I mapped the 'i' button(throttle engine knob) to an odd number, the stick trigger to even numbers, and the 'E' button(throttle fuel knob) to the emergency enter. The reason I'm asking so much is I'm trying to get my setup as similar to real ASTB as possible.

Last edited:

dav246

Hey people, been practicing that new terrain ID subtest on the app, doing mostly well, averaging 18/20 on pretty much every run.

My method thus far has been finding an easy landmark, noting which way it has rotated, then rotating my compass in the same direction and estimating to what degree, thus making the answer what ends up being the uppermost direction on my physical compass. Its mostly working, what few I do get wrong is down to 30 degree differences. So I was wondering if anybody might have a more precice method that they wouldn't mind sharing.