• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ao386

The main thing to remeber for logarithms and exponents are these rules. Do practice problems once memorized.
View attachment 40530

Source:

Reactions: Fom

ao386

You and @MrCorsair are having similar problems. Why don't we make a group call? Just make sure to memorize the rules and we can do problems together. I think once I show you guys how is done then you'll have an easier time
I’m having trouble relearning logarithms. I’ve been using Khan and YouTube but they are just not clicking. Does anyone have any recommendations on what exactly I should learn about logs to succeed on the ASTB?

CoMa

Good afternoon everyone! I just took my first attempt at the ASTB test and scored a 53 6/6/6. I am pretty comfortable with my scores considering the scores of the recent applicants that got accepted for SNA, and also my OR told me that the chances of me getting accepted are pretty high right now so she advised that I shouldn't worry about re-testing unless I don't get accepted from the first couple of application.

The test was something I have been nervous about taking but I felt very relieved once I finished. I have been rigorously studying since the middle of February and primarily used Barron's test book, ASTB Prep App, Gomez's study material, and also Jantzen's web simulator. For the OAR section of the test, there were a few problems that I was given that wasn't on any of my study material but with the test being multiple choice you can typically eliminate at least two answers from the beginning. Biggest piece of advise would be to manage your time well and try not to waste too much time on one question.

For the ASTB section of the test, I highly recommend that you download the ASTB Prep app on your phone and get the muscle memory and repetitions in for all of the PBM sections. The ASTB Prep app helped me so much and calmed my nerves when I got to those sections on the real test. The only section I feel like I struggled the most on was the tracking portion of the test, even though I spent a relentless amount of time on Jantzen's online sim I was not used to the feeling of the X52 stick and throttle so that threw me off at the beginning.

In conclusion, I just wanted to say that I truly appreciate everyone's posts in this forum because it has helped me more than you guys could know, and for future test takers please take the time out of your day to dedicate some extra time to studying because once the day of the test arrives it will all pay off at the end!

daynew1210

Does anyone know if the hearing portion is actually scored? My instructor didn't give me headphones so I couldn't differentiate the sounds and I feel like that could have affected by score.

mmandziak

Does anyone know if the hearing portion is actually scored? My instructor didn't give me headphones so I couldn't differentiate the sounds and I feel like that could have affected by score.
If this is true, I would switch recruiters. He/she obviously does not care about you or your goals if they failed to give you HEADPHONES for DICHOTIC LISTENING

• Haha

daynew1210

Okay I will. But now here is another issue. I cant apply next year due to the wait time and I only have 2 attempts left. In the SECNAV1532.1A it says "Each terminal must also be equipped with earmuff-equipped headphones with left- and right-labeled earpieces. No specific list of authorized models is maintained." and ALSO states "Violations of Testing Procedures. Testing procedures are detailed in reference (a). Violations of testing procedures will not be tolerated at any time and will be handled as outlined in reference (a)." But I can not find reference a anywhere. So how can I go about having this rectified because I feel a leading reason to me getting the scores I did was due to my confusion because he instructor stated before me exam "when you get to the listening portion just skip it. I don't have headphones and its not graded. It wont affect your score.

So is there anything I can do about this? My chain of command knows but they are not sure what can exactly be done.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mmandziak

Okay I will. But now here is another issue. I cant apply next year due to the wait time and I only have 2 attempts left. In the SECNAV1532.1A it says "Each terminal must also be equipped with earmuff-equipped headphones with left- and right-labeled earpieces. No specific list of authorized models is maintained." and ALSO states "Violations of Testing Procedures. Testing procedures are detailed in reference (a). Violations of testing procedures will not be tolerated at any time and will be handled as outlined in reference (a)." But I can not find reference a anywhere. So how can I go about having this rectified because I feel a leading reason to me getting the scores I did was due to my confusion because he instructor stated before me exam "when you get to the listening portion just skip it. I don't have headphones and its not graded. It wont affect your score.

So is there anything I can do about this? My chain of command knows but they are not sure what can exactly be done.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
That’s a question for @exNavyOffRec and @FormerRecruitingGuru

Riker99

Hey guys, been lurking for a bit. I started studying hard when I found out I had to take it about a month ago or so. I used the drives, apps, and everything linked in here. I cannot emphasize the ASTB PREP APP($25) and the other app "ASTB tutoring" (15$, also not as good but offers differing questions and a full practice test with the same scoring as the real thing). I was studying around 3-6 hrs a day, really pounding it so I wouldn't have to do it again. Took the test this morning, 5/15/24. Score: 49 (Bummer as I was making 53's on the practice tests) 6/7/6.
  • Math: This section ended early for me, I swear I bombed it but I did see questions I had on the apps! Exponents, ratio, PEMDAS, word problems such as finding the length of something based on the shadow. WAS NOT given a formula sheet, however, it had a sidebar with a few formulas on the screen, I used it once to find the circumference of a circle. That's all I can remember. I'm pretty sure I did badly, hence the 49, I think the other sections saved me. I recommend going through Khan Academy, and organic chemistry tutor, they both have sat preps, algebra videos, and Kieno Thomas vids for some things as well.
  • Mechanical: Pulleys, definitions such as work, force, pressure, balancing objects, the question about bullets dropping (the answer is they do at the same time).
  • Reading: This was harder than it was on the apps and everywhere else. I barely studied for this, but all the answers are identical and almost the same. Look for keywords or phrases, and eliminate them one by one. They will say some true things but aren't stated in the paragraph to throw you off. I didn't finish in time.
  • NAFTI: Honestly sucked, it's 99 sets of sentences that you have to choose from, that relate to you. I tried to show leadership qualities but was humble at the same time. I saw one guy change his answering here and scored way better.
  • ANIT: I'm currently in flight school with about 60hrs so this was kind of easy for me. More about controls, aerodynamics, and pressure/velocity in a tube that tightens (Bernoulli's principle). Pay close attention to the wording, I saw one tricky question that was between two answers until I realized one exact word it said in the question. Didn't have any history questions or specifics about the Navy, more flight-related, thankfully.
  • PBM: I bought the joystick so I got lots of practice (buy it, use it, take test, return it, should have 30 days, give yourself around 2 weeks or so to use it) and did it on the app a lot. I was doing 80% or better on UAV, and 12-18+or - on Terrain ID. It was similar, just slightly different with graphics, etc. Just make sure you're getting your reps in, consistency is key. I was doing 5-6, then 9-11, then even higher on the terrain ID, just try to find something pointing north in the question map, then find it on the reference map. Wherever it's pointing on the reference map, that's the heading. As for listening, lean your head towards the target ear. Emergency procedures, write them down. They go in order. Set the knobs to the procedure setting before it's called that way you only have to do one thing (press the clutch button). Just do your best with maintaining the throttle and joystick, I kinda didn't but still scored decent.
  • For navy guys (as I'm a Coast Guard applicant): I told the recruiter my score he said that was pretty good. He's been having guys get picked up with 5's, 6's, etc so not to worry as I would almost for sure if I were to go navy route. Doesn't apply to me but figured thatd help yall.
  • I'm sure I've missed something, any questions, ask. I'm so glad this over.

Last edited:

yourtmate

Took the test this morning, 5/15/24. Score: 49 (Bummer as I was making 53's on the practice tests) 6/7/6.
  • For navy guys (as I'm a Coast Guard applicant): I told the recruiter my score he said that was pretty good. He's been having guys get picked up with 5's, 6's, etc so not to worry as I would almost for sure if I were to go navy route. Doesn't apply to me but figured thatd help yall.
what are the minimums for coast guard? just curious

Fom

Hey guys, been lurking for a bit. I started studying hard when I found out I had to take it about a month ago or so. I used the drives, apps, and everything linked in here. I cannot emphasize the ASTB PREP APP($25) and the other app "ASTB tutoring" (15$, also not as good but offers differing questions and a full practice test with the same scoring as the real thing). I was studying around 3-6 hrs a day, really pounding it so I wouldn't have to do it again. Took the test this morning, 5/15/24. Score: 49 (Bummer as I was making 53's on the practice tests) 6/7/6.
  • Math: This section ended early for me, I swear I bombed it but I did see questions I had on the apps! Exponents, ratio, PEMDAS, word problems such as finding the length of something based on the shadow. WAS NOT given a formula sheet, however, it had a sidebar with a few formulas on the screen, I used it once to find the circumference of a circle. That's all I can remember. I'm pretty sure I did badly, hence the 49, I think the other sections saved me. I recommend going through Khan Academy, and organic chemistry tutor, they both have sat preps, algebra videos, and Kieno Thomas vids for some things as well.
  • Mechanical: Pulleys, definitions such as work, force, pressure, balancing objects, the question about bullets dropping (the answer is they do at the same time).
  • Reading: This was harder than it was on the apps and everywhere else. I barely studied for this, but all the answers are identical and almost the same. Look for keywords or phrases, and eliminate them one by one. They will say some true things but aren't stated in the paragraph to throw you off. I didn't finish in time.
  • NAFTI: Honestly sucked, it's 99 sets of sentences that you have to choose from, that relate to you. I tried to show leadership qualities but was humble at the same time. I saw one guy change his answering here and scored way better.
  • ANIT: I'm currently in flight school with about 60hrs so this was kind of easy for me. More about controls, aerodynamics, and pressure/velocity in a tube that tightens (Bernoulli's principle). Pay close attention to the wording, I saw one tricky question that was between two answers until I realized one exact word it said in the question. Didn't have any history questions or specifics about the Navy, more flight-related, thankfully.
  • PBM: I bought the joystick so I got lots of practice (buy it, use it, take test, return it, should have 30 days, give yourself around 2 weeks or so to use it) and did it on the app a lot. I was doing 80% or better on UAV, and 12-18+or - on Terrain ID. It was similar, just slightly different with graphics, etc. Just make sure you're getting your reps in, consistency is key. I was doing 5-6, then 9-11, then even higher on the terrain ID, just try to find something pointing north in the question map, then find it on the reference map. Wherever it's pointing on the reference map, that's the heading. As for listening, lean your head towards the target ear. Emergency procedures, write them down. They go in order. Set the knobs to the procedure setting before it's called that way you only have to do one thing (press the clutch button). Just do your best with maintaining the throttle and joystick, I kinda didn't but still scored decent.
  • I'm sure I've missed something, any questions, ask. I'm so glad this over.
Thanks for writing up your experience man, these are so invaluable.
-On the mechanical section, did it seem like mostly conceptual/word problems? Any questions requiring memorized formulas and math?
-I keep seeing seemingly conflicting information on the timer and questions (more likely me not understanding) - are there a set amount of questions to complete? Or is the idea to answer as many as you can in an infinite set within a limited amount of time?

Riker99

Thanks for writing up your experience man, these are so invaluable.
-On the mechanical section, did it seem like mostly conceptual/word problems? Any questions requiring memorized formulas and math?
-I keep seeing seemingly conflicting information on the timer and questions (more likely me not understanding) - are there a set amount of questions to complete? Or is the idea to answer as many as you can in an infinite set within a limited amount of time?
For sure man, they helped me a lot so I know the feeling, just trying to give back.
For the mechanical, no word problems really, there were problems that didn't require formulas, like definitions, I don't recall having to remember formulas, maybe for one problem or 2. One was about a pulley, balancing a lever, friction force on a inclined plane (no formula needed, i saw this on the apps as well. it was saying if the weight is sliding backwards towards another weight hanging, then the frcitional force must be zero, less .5 but more than 0, an more than .5 i think). But it wasn't like word problems such as suzie wants to do... etc type. So i guess id say conceptual.
Im not sure about that. I've always heard answer as many as you can. But you obviously dont want to just blow it bc you wanna be quick.