• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

nicksmitty220

Does anyone remember if they ask you to calculate anything on the mechanical part of the test? Also I’m retaking the test next Monday. I got a 6/7/6 first go around and I hope I do better. I should. My math and aviation knowledge increased a lot! Wish me luck!

Does anyone remember if they ask you to calculate anything on the mechanical part of the test? Also I’m retaking the test next Monday. I got a 6/7/6 first go around and I hope I do better. I should. My math and aviation knowledge increased a lot! Wish me luck!
If they do it’s one or two questions. And it’s pretty simple calculations. I got one or two on my first attempt and I don’t think I got any in my second. But again it’s randomized so you may get more or none.

ag_1031

Hi all!

I finished my 2nd attempt at the ASTB today (My first attempt was a 37 2/4/4 as I went in without studying) and I scored a 53 5/6/6. The math was a bit more difficult than I prepared for, I ran out of time on the reading, and I feel as though I guessed on quite a bit for the mechanical. Finishing the OAR portion, I felt extremely discouraged and I think that rattled me a bit for my finishing scores of the 5/6/6. I missed about 8 on the UAV portion, did not miss any on dichotic listening, felt ok on the tracking, and am sure I did poorly on the terrain as I was averaging about 10/20 on the ASTB prep app. I am looking to apply as a pilot for the board in June and was curious if you guys think I am a reasonable candidate? My GPA is a 3.66 in Business Finance, no waivers necessary, and in my current job I have leadership experience managing about 10 people. Let me know what you guys think please :)

Last edited:

Nnamdi25

Hi all!

I finished my 2nd attempt at the ASTB today (My first attempt was a 37 2/4/4 as I went in without studying) and I scored a 53 5/6/6. The math was a bit more difficult than I prepared for, I ran out of time on the reading, and I feel as though I guessed on quite a bit for the mechanical. Finishing the OAR portion, I felt extremely discouraged and I think that rattled me a bit for my finishing scores of the 5/6/6. I missed about 8 on the UAV portion, did not miss any on dichotic listening, felt ok on the tracking, and am sure I did poorly on the terrain as I was averaging about 10/20 on the ASTB prep app. I am looking to apply as a pilot for the board in June and was curious if you guys think I am a reasonable candidate? My GPA is a 3.66 in Business Finance, no waivers necessary, and in my current job I have leadership experience managing about 10 people. Let me know what you guys think please :)
I don’t wanna give you the wrong information. But there were guys on the last board who got picked with the are minimums. Do with that information as you see fit.

Mil3s

SNA Select
Let me know what you guys think please :)
I would say if you don’t feel confident that you can get higher scores for your last test then stick with these score, but if you know what you have to improve on and how to, then retest and try to at least get bump up your aqr and PFAR.

This past board was a high election rate but you never know what might happen for this upcoming one. So take that as you will. Best of luck👍

exNavyOffRec

That is a significant jump in scores, while you may not be happy with them you should be proud at that jump in scores. Since you only have one test attempt left just role the dice and submit, keep studying and retake if you get a no.

jgalbato

Took the ASTB today and scored a 7/9/7. I used trivium test prep and Test Prep Books guide. I was stressed as hell to take this exam. To anyone taking it in the future, I am living proof you don’t need to be Superman to pass this exam. I had a GPA of 1.8 in high school and went to community college. I just took two hours a day for a month (maybe 5 hours a day on weekends), read the books, and focused on the practice tests the week of and passed. If you want to fly, the pursuit alone will be enough to fill your heart with joy. Put in the work and good things will follow.

Last edited:

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to confirm something regarding the joystick axis orientation during the exam for the Rear Cockpit Simulator on the MacOS application. Specifically, I'm unsure about what happens when you pull the stick back on the actual test. Does the pointer move up? Thank you for your help.

ag_1031

Hi all!

Also, I was thinking about getting 5-10 flight hours so I can include that in my package as having some flight experience. Does anybody have some insight as to if this would make a large enough difference to be worth the time/$?

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
And it would be great if anybody could DM me over the weekend to explain the emergency procedures with the X52. As I am integrating that as well.
Hello everyone, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to confirm something regarding the joystick axis orientation during the exam for the Rear Cockpit Simulator on the MacOS application. Specifically, I'm unsure about what happens when you pull the stick back on the actual test. Does the pointer move up? Thank you for your help.

MotorCookie

Yes pulling back on the stick will move the pointer up. Pushing forward moves it down.

Riker99

Also, I was thinking about getting 5-10 flight hours so I can include that in my package as having some flight experience. Does anybody have some insight as to if this would make a large enough difference to be worth the time/$?
Will it make a slight impression and do more good than harm? Of course. Now, is that worth the money you'll spend.... ill let you decide that one. I would get asa prep course if anything and get ahead on the knowledge side.

Last edited:

Mil3s

SNA Select
another aspect you might want to look at is, would you rather spend all that money on a some flight hours or put a portion of that money into different study materials (books, tutor, etc..) and get a higher score which would give you more of a competitive edge.

I guess what I’m saying is do you think the board would see an applicant with a 6 PFAR and 5-10 flight hours more competitive then an applicant with a 8-9 PFAR with 0 flight hours. Of course there are other factors that go into it but just a basic scenario for you to think on. But either way flight hours can’t hurt you if you have the resources to do so.