• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Looking for some advice or feedback.

I just took my ASTB and got:

56, 6,7,6

I’m 23 with a non-STEM degree, 3.5 GPA. I’ve got about 45 hours of flying experience, but haven’t completed my PPL yet. I’m expecting to get some pretty solid recs from both my current job, as well as some officers that I’ve met through my personal life.

Should I be looking at a retest? Would it make sense for me to finish my PPL fully before putting an application in?

PPL and any sort of flight time have no weight in terms of boosting selection odds.

Search around the various pilot / NFO selection board threads and you’ll be able to see where you stack. You can also find spreadsheets that’ll help too.

chromiehomie

I took the ASTB for the first time yesterday and got a 49 6/5/5. I am really disappointed with my score. I believe that I could’ve received a better score if I didn’t overthink some of the questions in the physics portion (especially one question about heat transfer that I mentally went through the conduction equation when it wasn’t even necessary) and how I became panicked during the last portion with the stick and throttle. The positive of this is I’ll know exactly how the test is formatted and prepare for it more accordingly for when I take it again in August.

DesJensen

I took the ASTB for the first time yesterday and got a 49 6/5/5. I am really disappointed with my score. I believe that I could’ve received a better score if I didn’t overthink some of the questions in the physics portion (especially one question about heat transfer that I mentally went through the conduction equation when it wasn’t even necessary) and how I became panicked during the last portion with the stick and throttle. The positive of this is I’ll know exactly how the test is formatted and prepare for it more accordingly for when I take it again in August.
I don’t know how to help you with the OAR side, I got a 48. But there isn’t really a required score for SNA, so the 49 isn’t terrible. You should shoot for at least 7/7/7 to be competitive. Keep practicing and improving the aviation test scores!

As far as the stick and throttle portion go, I had a flight instructor say to me that if you feel stressed, wiggle your toes. The point is to help you relax, especially your grip on the controls (don’t white knuckle lol). When you feel stressed it makes things seem like things are happening faster than you can keep up with. Loosen your grip, breath, and remember nothing is happening faster than you can handle.

Reactions: Fom

mmandziak

Looking for some advice or feedback.

I just took my ASTB and got:

56, 6,7,6

I’m 23 with a non-STEM degree, 3.5 GPA. I’ve got about 45 hours of flying experience, but haven’t completed my PPL yet. I’m expecting to get some pretty solid recs from both my current job, as well as some officers that I’ve met through my personal life.

Should I be looking at a retest? Would it make sense for me to finish my PPL fully before putting an application in?
From my knowledge, LOR’s and flight hours don’t matter for SNA selection. Only GPA and ASTB scores matter. They can’t hurt to include, but they won’t necessarily help you. GPA looks solid, scores are decent too. If you look through the previous boards on the google spreadsheet, you’ll get an idea of what scores people are getting selected with.

chromiehomie

I don’t know how to help you with the OAR side, I got a 48. But there isn’t really a required score for SNA, so the 49 isn’t terrible. You should shoot for at least 7/7/7 to be competitive. Keep practicing and improving the aviation test scores!

As far as the stick and throttle portion go, I had a flight instructor say to me that if you feel stressed, wiggle your toes. The point is to help you relax, especially your grip on the controls (don’t white knuckle lol). When you feel stressed it makes things seem like things are happening faster than you can keep up with. Loosen your grip, breath, and remember nothing is happening faster than you can handle.
Thank you for the tip of wiggling your toes. I want to max out my scores now because I am taking it a second time. Also, I have a 3.6 GPA as mechanical engineering undergrad going into my senior year. Do you know how that will look when I submit my package to the review board after I retake the test? Sorry for making this reply too long, but I am applying for NFO, so will the PFAR score play as much of a factor in the review board’s decision as the FOFAR?

mmandziak

Thank you for the tip of wiggling your toes. I want to max out my scores now because I am taking it a second time. Also, I have a 3.6 GPA as mechanical engineering undergrad going into my senior year. Do you know how that will look when I submit my package to the review board after I retake the test? Sorry for making this reply too long, but I am applying for NFO, so will the PFAR score play as much of a factor in the review board’s decision as the FOFAR?
GPA looks solid. FOFAR matters more for NFO.

awindz9

On the hardest setting on the Jantzen Simulator, what scores should I be shooting for every time to be confident on the test? I know that the actual test is more of a medium difficulty, but I prefer to practice on the hardest setting.

dav246

On the hardest setting on the Jantzen Simulator, what scores should I be shooting for every time to be confident on the test? I know that the actual test is more of a medium difficulty, but I prefer to practice on the hardest setting.
Back when I took the ASTB, I was averaging sub 120 for both on the hardest setting, occasionally even breaking 110 and 100. I got an 8 PFAR.

Practicing on the hardest setting is the right move.

Ghayd44

I would agree with @dav246. I was sitting at around 100 consistently for both doing it in ~1-2 minute intervals by the time I took the test. If you get used to the hardest setting on the sim the movement of the tracker will feel a lot less sporadic on the actual test.

DBM

I would agree with @dav246. I was sitting at around 100 consistently for both doing it in ~1-2 minute intervals by the time I took the test. If you get used to the hardest setting on the sim the movement of the tracker will feel a lot less sporadic on the actual test.
I've been somewhat used to the sim now, and in the past, I was scoring around 140-160 (of course room for more improvement), but I don't see how it's possible to break 200, let alone low 120s. I don't think my cursor is fast enough to keep up on the stick portion of the sim. I'm using the recommended joystick and throttle for this too.

dav246

I've been somewhat used to the sim now, and in the past, I was scoring around 140-160 (of course room for more improvement), but I don't see how it's possible to break 200, let alone low 120s. I don't think my cursor is fast enough to keep up on the stick portion of the sim. I'm using the recommended joystick and throttle for this too.
I'm certainly no tech expert, but I would try a different computer and see if you get the same problem. I would also check the settings in whatever mapper you are using, specifically the sensitivity controls.

Reactions: DBM

awindz9

Tbh i was confident with the low 200's on the joystick. I average around 120 on the throttle and like mid to low 200's on the joystick practicing now. I took the test the first time without practicing with a joystick and throttle and I struggled following the targets during that portion of the test. I also missed like 8 UAV questions and probably bombed the Terrian portion. I ended up with a 6 on the PFAR and I think because I studied the CRAM flashcards for the ANIT portion and probably missed 2 questions and I didn't miss one on the hearing portion during the dicotic listening and dicotic listening combined with the joystick and throttle. To me the listening portion is the most important part, so if you can't get under 200 consistently on the joystick on the most difficult level, its ok. Just keep practicing and focus hard on the listening, throttle, and ANIT portion. That will result in a high score in my opinion.

Ghayd44

I actually had the opposite issue where the throttle that I used was unable to keep up with the pace of the tracker. The stick itself responded well to fast movements if I pushed it hard enough. That may be a discrepancy between the throttle and stick that I used and the one that you are using (which I assume is the X52 Hotas), but regardless of that, it's more important to be able to react to the tracker more than anything, in my opinion. Obviously the throttle and stick for the real test are going to be able to keep up with any direction and speed, so for the sim just try your best to react to the weird movements of the tracker to get that muscle memory down. It's not super important to have low scores on the sim as long as you feel prepared for the actual test.

dav246

Just so its clear gents, when the targets are moving at their fastest in Jantzens, your controls WONT be fast enough to keep the crosshair on 100% of the time, and you will be struggling to keep up, especially for the vertical target. This is a feature, not a bug.

Also, I trained relentlessly on the sim for about a month to get the improvements I saw. I mean straight honest grinding for several hours every single day. You won't see improvement for a while, mileage will vary. If you feel stuck, you likely aren't. Give it time and proper attention.

Last edited:

dav246

Tbh i was confident with the low 200's on the joystick. I average around 120 on the throttle and like mid to low 200's on the joystick practicing now. I took the test the first time without practicing with a joystick and throttle and I struggled following the targets during that portion of the test. I also missed like 8 UAV questions and probably bombed the Terrian portion. I ended up with a 6 on the PFAR and I think because I studied the CRAM flashcards for the ANIT portion and probably missed 2 questions and I didn't miss one on the hearing portion during the dicotic listening and dicotic listening combined with the joystick and throttle. To me the listening portion is the most important part, so if you can't get under 200 consistently on the joystick on the most difficult level, its ok. Just keep practicing and focus hard on the listening, throttle, and ANIT portion. That will result in a high score in my opinion.
Dichotic listening individually and while tracking carries a lot of weight in the PFAR.

How much weight? Only the Navy Gods know for sure.