• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

23brooks23

Retired Wr
Is there any other board date this year?
I heard of an October board aswell. But I haven’t talked to my recruiter about it. But my recruiter did tell me that there’s supposed to be 6 boards this year. So if you can’t make this upcoming board I’m sure there’s another one not too far behind for you to apply too.

chromiehomie

I heard of an October board aswell. But I haven’t talked to my recruiter about it. But my recruiter did tell me that there’s supposed to be 6 boards this year. So if you can’t make this upcoming board I’m sure there’s another one not too far behind for you to apply too.
That’s good. I’m planning on retaking the ASTB again in August. I might be able to get in on 49/6/5/5 with a 3.6 GPA in BSME since a lot of applicants got selected with similar scores in non-engineering degrees according to the excel sheets, but I’d rather secure a slot with a higher score. Also, getting my medical records for MEPS has been a pain.

23brooks23

Retired Wr
That’s good. I’m planning on retaking the ASTB again in August. I might be able to get in on 49/6/5/5 with a 3.6 GPA in BSME since a lot of applicants got selected with similar scores in non-engineering degrees according to the excel sheets, but I’d rather secure a slot with a higher score. Also, getting my medical records for MEPS has been a pain.
I would ask your recruiter if you turned in your packet. And then maybe retested after turning in your packet would it affect your packet for that board. Because who knows you may get selected this upcoming board with those scores and if you don’t you already retook the test and got higher scores for the next one and you’ll have no downtime. I scored a 53 7/8/7 but I’m worried because I have 2.7 GPA I’m hoping that doesn’t play too big of a role on me getting selected. I gotta go to Meps Wednesday and hopefully that all goes well too.

awindz9

Any prior service members in here that are receiving disability attempting to get back in? If so, has anyone had any issues with their package?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Any prior service members in here that are receiving disability attempting to get back in? If so, has anyone had any issues with their package?

It’s more of a hassle getting through to MEPS than anything.
It can happen, it depends on the rating, from what I saw anything 30% or more was a non starter.

30% or more was the previous rule of thumb until I’ve seen and been told higher percentages have been getting waived - as of late.

exNavyOffRec

It’s more of a hassle getting through to MEPS than anything.

30% or more was the previous rule of thumb until I’ve seen and been told higher percentages have been getting waived - as of late.
I should correct my statement that the 30% rule was for GenOff programs, I did see Chaplains, and Doctors get in with higher percentages. I would guess they scrutinize those candidates to make sure the issue isn't an issue for continued service.

Latte44

OAR 48 5/7/6 - First Attempt
GPA 3.4

I was not going to post here because my scores (mainly my OAR and AQR) were not anything to write home to mama about. However, I am still above the minimum requirement for my dream career (Coast Guard Aviator). If it was not for this forum I am convinced that I would NOT have been able to get the scores that I did receive and I am beyond grateful. @TwoScoops we have never spoken but thank you for your contribution to the community and it was the best money I spent in this process. I believe that I could have done better if I rounded out my studying with more from the Kyle & Gomez drives (as plenty of others have stated), and I also used the Barron's book. The main reason for my post is I doubted myself through this process if I would be smart enough to qualify given the company of the other members who have posted scores here. While many of them are better than mine, I do hope that someone reads this and gets the confidence that they can do it too. Study hard and you will shock yourself!
Now I just have to wait and see if I am picked up for OCS! 🙏

P.S. I haven't seen many people post about the minimum requirements for the Coast Guard, which is an AQR of 4 and a PFAR of 5.

Last edited:

CoMa

GPA 3.4

I was not going to post here because my scores (mainly my OAR and AQR) were not anything to write home to mama about. However, I am still above the minimum requirement for my dream career (Coast Guard Aviator). If it was not for this forum I am convinced that I would NOT have been able to get the scores that I did receive and I am beyond grateful. @TwoScoops we have never spoken but thank you for contribution to the community and it was the best money I spent in this process. I believe that I could have done better if I rounded out my studying with more from the Kyle & Gomez drives (as plenty of others have stated), and I also used the Barron's book. The main reason for my post is I doubted myself through this process if I would be smart enough to qualify given the company of the other members who have posted scores here. While many of them are better than mine, I do hope that someone reads this and gets the confidence that they can do it too. Study hard and you will shock yourself!

P.S. I haven't seen many people post about the minimum requirements for the Coast Guard, which is an AQR of 4 and a PFAR of 5.
At the end of the day, it could’ve been way worse. If you submit your packet and unfortunately don’t get accepted you still have two more attempts and at least now you are familiar with the test and will be able to hopefully increase your score! Good luck and I hope you get selected!

Latte44

At the end of the day, it could’ve been way worse. If you submit your packet and unfortunately don’t get accepted you still have two more attempts and at least now you are familiar with the test and will be able to hopefully increase your score! Good luck and I hope you get selected!
Absolutely could have been way worse. Thank you as well for your insight as well! That is another thing I want to highlight, I can not speak for everyone here, but most people if you reach out are more than willing to help.

FutureSailor07

GPA 3.4

I was not going to post here because my scores (mainly my OAR and AQR) were not anything to write home to mama about. However, I am still above the minimum requirement for my dream career (Coast Guard Aviator). If it was not for this forum I am convinced that I would NOT have been able to get the scores that I did receive and I am beyond grateful. @TwoScoops we have never spoken but thank you for your contribution to the community and it was the best money I spent in this process. I believe that I could have done better if I rounded out my studying with more from the Kyle & Gomez drives (as plenty of others have stated), and I also used the Barron's book. The main reason for my post is I doubted myself through this process if I would be smart enough to qualify given the company of the other members who have posted scores here. While many of them are better than mine, I do hope that someone reads this and gets the confidence that they can do it too. Study hard and you will shock yourself!

I’m taking it this upcoming week and have went through both Gomez and Kyle drives but have been focusing on studying on the app this past week.

Few have said math was very identical on the exam, reading was harder, and mechanical was easier. In your experience, would you say this is true, and can you explain if it is or isn’t?

I’m scoring a consistent 90%+ on the practice exam for MST on the app but the closer my date gets the more anxious I get lol no matter how much I’ve studied.

Thanks in advance

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
I’m taking it this upcoming week and have went through both Gomez and Kyle drives but have been focusing on studying on the app this past week.

Few have said math was very identical on the exam, reading was harder, and mechanical was easier. In your experience, would you say this is true, and can you explain if it is or isn’t?

I’m scoring a consistent 90%+ on the practice exam for MST on the app but the closer my date gets the more anxious I get lol no matter how much I’ve studied.

Thanks in advance
I have gotten the same feedback related to the Application. Getting 90% on the practice MST in the application is a great score. You may want to consider getting an ebook version of one of the test prep books for the ASTB and complete some of their practice tests.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Future Aviators,

I have some information related to the ASTB Prep to pass on. Firstly, for those of you using the MacOS version, with the newest version of the application, you can now use your Thrustmaster T.Flight variant joysticks in the DLT and RC Simulators. They are fully functional with the emergency section in the RC simulator and include all of the custom instruction images you guys will need to practice effectively. I know a lot of you are using these joysticks to study, so this was important to me. However, please note that I could only test the program with the T.Flight Hotas One Variant. I am aware of two other variants of this model of the joystick. If you are using the other variants and the MacOS version, please tell me about your experience and whether the controller mapping is correct for your specific Thrustmaster T.Flight variant controller. I am getting some crash reports from my MacOS users, and I suspect it has something to do with these specific joystick models, hence why I haven't yet placed them on the approved controller list to use with the MacOS version. I will be waiting for your feedback. Thanks ahead of time.

Secondarily, I will continue to integrate more features into the Android version of the application. This includes more UAV, TI, and RC simulator features. I'm actively working on allowing you to connect X52 controllers to your Android devices to practice for the Stick and Throttle test with all the features you want. I will demonstrate how powerful a study tool is when you can connect the joystick to your phone or tablet once it is available.

Lastly, I have received many requests for free 1-on-1 virtual coaching sessions. I really enjoy doing these; feel free to DM me via Airwarriors if you are interested. However, you should realize I may not get back right away as my plate is a little full at the moment, but I will get back eventually.

Keep up the excellent work you guys!

Sincerely,
Two Scoops

ASTB Prep (iOS/MacOS)
ASTB Prep (Android)

mwainwright21

Hi everyone,

I have been on airwarriors for quite some time now, but finally decided that it would be beneficial for me to make an account. I am scheduled to take my first ASTB attempt on August 8th. I have been studying using the google drives posted on here, ASTB prep app, and even the barrons and momentrix study books. I recently bought a thrustmaster T16000M joystick and thruster to begin preparing for the PBMB portion, but am having a hard time configuring it to my PC to use for the Jantzen simulator. I tried using it on the ASTB prep app last night, but the app crashed like TwoScoops mentioned. I have yet to try again today as he just posted an update on that issue. I am not super great with computers so any advice would be greatly appreciated to get the joystick up and running.

I also am having an interesting time preparing for the Terrain Identification and would be extremely grateful to anyone willing to share tips and tricks for that portion of the test. I have seen some posts mentioning the "pencil trick" and I have used that for the UAV portion which was a game changer, but I am not having the same luck using that for the terrain identification.

Thanks in advance for anyone reading this and willing to help. This website and all the posts on it have been incredible and have eased this process tremendously for me.