• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

CoMa

How do I solve questions like this especially when it clearly needs a calculator. If a question like this came out in the exam I'm more worried that I'll spend more time on it thinking I got it wrong somewhere than me getting the answer wrongView attachment 40848
I am almost certain that once you finish the practice test, if you get the answer wrong, it will give you the option to look at the explanation for how to solve it.

I bought an x52, downloaded the AntiMicroX and input MotorCookie's zip file for settings. When using it on the Jantezn sim, they almost feel sluggish. Like both the joystick and throttle won't move the cursor unless I really push it in the direction (I have to lean the stick halfway down before it will start to move) and then at that point I way overshoot the target because the cursor goes fast. Is this what it's supposed to be like for the test??

mmandziak

I bought an x52, downloaded the AntiMicroX and input MotorCookie's zip file for settings. When using it on the Jantezn sim, they almost feel sluggish. Like both the joystick and throttle won't move the cursor unless I really push it in the direction (I have to lean the stick halfway down before it will start to move) and then at that point I way overshoot the target because the cursor goes fast. Is this what it's supposed to be like for the test??
the throttle has a deadzone on the test where you must push past a certain threshold to get it to move. The stick does not on the other hand, it moves as soon as you adjust its direction.

the throttle has a deadzone on the test where you must push past a certain threshold to get it to move. The stick does not on the other hand, it moves as soon as you adjust its direction.
Okay, thank you! In most of the posts on here, I see people suggesting leaving the dead zone setting at 6000 in AntimicroX for all axises (stick and throttle). Does anyone know the ideal number to adjust the stick deadzone to replicate the exam?

FutureSailor07

Hello, been on this website for a while now but just created an account today. I have been preparing to take the OAR and have made a lot of progress. For those that took it recently, are equations/formulas given to you? I've found different answers to this question. Specifically, are the formulas for area, circumference, perimeter, and volume of shapes given, or should I memorize them? Thanks

DivinePistachio

Hello, been on this website for a while now but just created an account today. I have been preparing to take the OAR and have made a lot of progress. For those that took it recently, are equations/formulas given to you? I've found different answers to this question. Specifically, are the formulas for area, circumference, perimeter, and volume of shapes given, or should I memorize them? Thanks
I took the OAR last May. Yes, there is a little tab that gives you the formulas for shapes. I can't remember if they give you any others but def the shapes.

Da200219

I just took the ASTB today for the first (and last) time and scored a 69 9/9/9. I studied a little bit at a time with the ASTB Prep app over the last couple months, but wasn't able to do as much as I planned due to final exams. I found the ASTB Prep app to be very helpful, especially for terrain identification and UAV, but there are many different things that can be on the test, so the app doesn't cover everything. It is great for the general things you need to know though. I also studied some of the mechanical stuff with the videos linked by user mattdavid123 on post #5129. I studied for a couple hours a day the last few days to brush up on math, ANIT, and mechanical comprehension concepts. I used the cram flashcards, but could never get through all of them. I also practiced with an X52 using the remade jantzen sim: https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

General Advice:
Do not worry if the questions seem harder than expected. That is a good thing and means you are doing well. The key is to stay focused and keep working and do not panic. I got cut off for time on the math and reading sections, so I think correct answers may hold more weight than speed, but you still want to get through as much as possible.

Math:
KNOW ALGEBRA WELL
You should be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide any numbers relatively quickly.
The geometry concepts were less involved and mostly were about finding areas. I did not find any need to use the formula tab. I ended up getting a lot of logarithm questions, but no matrices. You should know how to convert between exponential and logarithm form and have a good understanding of exponents, specifically exponents with fractions ex. x^(3/4).

Reading:
There is really nothing to note here studying-wise because it is just reading. The passages were very boring and were all related to naval procedures and instructions, but you wouldn't need to know any naval jargon. It is difficult to stay engaged and focused in this section because of the way the passages are, but you just have to keep working and choose the answer that is most consistent with what is in the paragraph.

Mechanical Comprehension:
Most of these questions are purely conceptual, so it is important to know the concepts behind things like flow rate, particle motion, momentum, simple machines, etc. Solving problems will help understand these concepts, but knowing the relations between variables and having a general understanding of physics concepts is sufficient.

ANIT:
This section is tough because there are so many things that can be on it. Some things you definitely need to know of course like which control surfaces control what motion over which axes because you are pretty much guaranteed to have questions on this. There were a couple questions on parts of a ship. There were definitely questions that were covered on the cram flashcards, so if you can go through those, it would be helpful.

NAFTI:
As others have said, just pick the option that you think best describes you. Definitely a weird section because it feels like the answer choices aren't really relevant to each other and there is no right answer.

PBM:
If you can get a stick and throttle setup to practice, do it, but I don't think it is necessary to do well. I did not find dichotic listening to be very difficult, but I did make a couple mistakes during the part with all 3 (stick, throttle, and listening). I don't think I am particularly outstanding when it comes to tracking the targets with the stick and throttle, so just do the best that you can and try to do well on the emergency procedures and listening parts. For UAV and terrain identification parts I will deviate from what others have said. Practice with the ASTB prep until you can get the right answer quickly pretty much every time. There is no need to use the pencil/compass trick for these sections as I feel that it just takes up extra time. Just practice it until you understand it well.

Lastly, thanks to everyone on here for posting your resources and strategy as it has been very helpful.
Where did you hear about the remade jantzen sim? With it being new i’ve experienced a few bugs with the X52 compatibility-hoping to get in touch with the creator

Martini44

Just want to say thank you all of you guys posting your experience, knowledge, and general advice for nailing this exam! 15 point improvement since finding this forum!

First attempt: 39, 2, 3, 4
Second attempt: 36 (OAR ONLY)
Third attempt: 51, 5, 5, 6

Just raw dogging with a test prep book for months. I was confused and pissed on how I got a lower score my second time. Then my recruiter said, spend time on the forums. I had never used Reddit before, and through Reddit and AirWarriors explaining how the test worked, I was able to understand how I needed to train for the test, I Locked in!

Bought a iPad, became a substitute teacher so I could study at work lmao, and committed to 8 hours a week. I clocked in and out on my iPad. Literally kept a time sheet. 80 hours in I call my recruiter and tell him I’m ready.

The week leading up:
- In bed at 10, up at 7
- Study for two hours,
- Work,
- Go to the gym or BJJ
- No Booze (I’m a bartender)
- No sex (but I was having trouble sleeping so you know daddy had to take the dog to the pound)

The morning of:
- up at 6
- ran two miles
- took a Power Nap

The Breakfast:
- 4 eggs
- 1 small carton of organic blueberries
- 1 can of sardines (Omega 3zz baby)
- 1 cup of Coffee
- 4 Alpha Brain (thanks Joe)

Shown up, shook hands, said a prayer, and fucking Killed it. Big thank you to my redditors who where there posting all the tips and tricks or about the test in general!

23brooks23

Retired Wr
Just want to say thank you all of you guys posting your experience, knowledge, and general advice for nailing this exam! 15 point improvement since finding this forum!

First attempt: 39, 2, 3, 4
Second attempt: 36 (OAR ONLY)
Third attempt: 51, 5, 5, 6

Just raw dogging with a test prep book for months. I was confused and pissed on how I got a lower score my second time. Then my recruiter said, spend time on the forums. I had never used Reddit before, and through Reddit and AirWarriors explaining how the test worked, I was able to understand how I needed to train for the test, I Locked in!

Bought a iPad, became a substitute teacher so I could study at work lmao, and committed to 8 hours a week. I clocked in and out on my iPad. Literally kept a time sheet. 80 hours in I call my recruiter and tell him I’m ready.

The week leading up:
- In bed at 10, up at 7
- Study for two hours,
- Work,
- Go to the gym or BJJ
- No Booze (I’m a bartender)
- No sex (but I was having trouble sleeping so you know daddy had to take the dog to the pound)

The morning of:
- up at 6
- ran two miles
- took a Power Nap

The Breakfast:
- 4 eggs
- 1 small carton of organic blueberries
- 1 can of sardines (Omega 3zz baby)
- 1 cup of Coffee
- 4 Alpha Brain (thanks Joe)

Shown up, shook hands, said a prayer, and fucking Killed it. Big thank you to my redditors who where there posting all the tips and tricks or about the test in general!
Nice, what are you wanting to apply for?

Just took the ASTB this morning, applying for SNA. I first spoke to my officer recruiter on Tuesday of this week, and got signed up to take the ASTB for today on Friday. Ended up scoring 66 on the OAR and 8/8/8. I used the ASTB prep app for studying, which I highly recommend especially for the drone and terrain simulations. I'm an Engineering major and found the Math segment quite easy, and saw easy topics as well as hard ones including matrix multiplication, logarithms, exponents, probability, and infinite series. I did not see any rate type questions. The ones that were hard for me were where I had to expand a super long equation, some of them just took forever to solve but that's probably just because I was getting difficult questions. The reading section is the one I think I did the worst in, a lot of the stuff was super dry and I kept having to re-read the question and didn't feel confident in a lot of my choices. I had like 4 questions to go with one minute remaining also so I basically just skimmed and guessed for the last ones. For the mechanical section, it was easy all I had to study were the simple machines and pulley type questions. The aviation knowledge section was pretty much all aviation stuff, that's one part where I would recommend other materials than the ASTB prep app as I feel like a lot of the questions I encountered were stuff I hadn't seen on the questions there. The drone section was easy, draw a compass rose and use that. I missed one just because I got a little excited and sped up when I really should have made sure I had the compass pointing the right way, but prob averaged about 2 seconds each. The joystick test felt really easy, I practiced the web simulation for a couple days with a joystick and Antimicro which helped a bit but honestly you just need to get a feel for it no need to spend hours practicing IMO. The hearing part was also easy think I missed one or two. The emergency section really screwed me over as I feel as though the direction you have to turn the dials to get to 0 or 100% were inversed from what I intuitively thought it would be, and really messed up there and got off target a lot too. Lastly the terrain part felt pretty easy, also used the compass to point and figure out the way it oriented but I really had to make sure I was precise with my pointing to make sure it was the correct heading. From my experience I have no flight time and have played a lot of flight simulators which I think definitely helped.

MARTY TARTY

ASTB coming next week. I've been more confident in the math portion compared to the first time around, but I'm still not 100%. How important is the AQR compared to the other portions, such as the PFAR and FOFAR if those can be higher if I know I am nailing the PBM such as UAV, Terrain, and Stick n Throttle.