• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

DivinePistachio

Hello all. I'm practicing with a joystick and throttle for the PBMB and I was wondering how loose or tight should my joystick be? I'm assuming that I shouldn't mess with it at all and just leave the resistance as is.

mmandziak

Hello all. I'm practicing with a joystick and throttle for the PBMB and I was wondering how loose or tight should my joystick be? I'm assuming that I shouldn't mess with it at all and just leave the resistance as is.
You are correct. Leave it as is. I will say the sensitivity of the joystick on the actual test is quite high, and that’s where I made a mistake practicing on low sensitivity. I was able to adjust just fine on the practice portion so no big deal, but it’s something to consider when practicing.

Chimchi

LiveLifeFull
The stick and throttle are fairly loose but if you're mainly concerned about how quickly the actual cursor moves on the screen compared to your inputs it's not much, and rather smooth! Key is to practice using both controls at same time and getting as close to targets.

Chimchi

LiveLifeFull
I did. Very basic though. John does a job in 6h, Karen does a job in 4h, how long will it take for them to do it together?
Yes mmandziak nailed it right on the head. But don't let simple questions fool ya! Use Barrons study guide and ASTB Prep app. Study the math portion like your life depends on it!

Jowen872

I’m writing this in hopes someone will see it and give me an honest answer. I’ll explain my situation. I am an incoming college senior majoring in quant finance. I have made the ultimate decision that I do not want to begin sitting behind a computer right out of school (or worse just not having a job, it’s so needlessly competitive out there for this). I do quite well in school with just over a b+ average (roughly 3.3/4.0). I’m also a competitive sailor, I race in college sailing, and I have been competing for most of my life (id say I likely have somewhere between 1000-2000 days at sea). My interest in the military is with the navy. Now, I would totally be happy taking to other positions, but I have an extreme interest in flying. I’m quite fit, there’s nothing wrong with me medically, I’ve never done drugs, and my practice ASTB scores are very good for the preparation I have done thus far. I’ve talked to an officer recruiter about this and he told me that I should call him back when I am ready to take the ASTB to plan a day to take it and that if I qualify I can go straight to OCS when I graduate with a guaranteed pilot contract. I am ready to fully commit to this. I just want to know how realistic this is for me. I was told major doesn’t matter too much but I wanted to know what this forum thought.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m writing this in hopes someone will see it and give me an honest answer. I’ll explain my situation. I am an incoming college senior majoring in quant finance. I have made the ultimate decision that I do not want to begin sitting behind a computer right out of school (or worse just not having a job, it’s so needlessly competitive out there for this). I do quite well in school with just over a b+ average (roughly 3.3/4.0). I’m also a competitive sailor, I race in college sailing, and I have been competing for most of my life (id say I likely have somewhere between 1000-2000 days at sea). My interest in the military is with the navy. Now, I would totally be happy taking to other positions, but I have an extreme interest in flying. I’m quite fit, there’s nothing wrong with me medically, I’ve never done drugs, and my practice ASTB scores are very good for the preparation I have done thus far. I’ve talked to an officer recruiter about this and he told me that I should call him back when I am ready to take the ASTB to plan a day to take it and that if I qualify I can go straight to OCS when I graduate with a guaranteed pilot contract. I am ready to fully commit to this. I just want to know how realistic this is for me. I was told major doesn’t matter too much but I wanted to know what this forum thought.

Welcome to the forum. Take a few mins to dive into the forums, you’ll easily find your answer and then some.

JTayorinde

How do I solve questions like this especially when it clearly needs a calculator. If a question like this came out in the exam I'm more worried that I'll spend more time on it thinking I got it wrong somewhere than me getting the answer wrongScreenshot_20240708_145213_ASTB Prep.jpg

mmandziak

It’s realistic, you just need to score well on the ASTB. Anything above a 3.0 is considered competitive and for SNA (pilot) anything at or above a 7 on the PFAR is also considered competitive.