• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

JohnnySilverhand

I just took the OAR for the first time and got a 57. I definitely could have prepared better. I probably did the worst on the reading comprehension portion because I didn't prepare for that at all. On the math section, I didn't get any acid solution questions, interest, DRT, weighted average questions, infinite series, or age questions. I got a bunch of simplifying radical equations, polynomials, and probability questions. I did get one multiplying matrices questions and one system of equations question where multiple x y values that satisfied the equations. The physics section didn't have any questions on screws, pistons, ramps, or circuit analysis. Quite a few of the questions were just short answer.

exNavyOffRec

Genuine question here. If aviation boards convene after a day why does it take 2+ weeks to hear back the results?
There is a lot of work on the back end, verifying a person was picked for another designator, making sure all the paperwork is actually in order, figuring out who is going in what OCS class. All this is happening at the same time the processors are still reviewing applications coming in, working on travel, commissioning documents and many other items.

Prior to the process change the aviation board would start on a Monday and results would be compiled, signed by everyone involved, approved for distribution by the admiral by Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning.

Does anyone know how they decide when you go to OCS? Like, if I submit for the October board and get selected, but am not available to leave to OCS until January 2025 or later, would that be doable? Or would I need to wait to submit till the December board to guarantee they won't tell me to leave earlier than I'm able?

andysurf

Hello everyone,

OAR: 45
Masters: 3.5
Bachelors: 3.7
All breakout evals/high EP's. Good letters of rec 2x 0-6s, 1x O-9. 3x PINs.
Active Duty: IS1

I have 1 more attempt on the OAR and I put in a ton of work to get a 45. I am at the bare minimum for a waiver for 1830. I am curious to what I should do. Should I submit a waiver and apply or look at other options.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does anyone know how they decide when you go to OCS? Like, if I submit for the October board and get selected, but am not available to leave to OCS until January 2025 or later, would that be doable? Or would I need to wait to submit till the December board to guarantee they won't tell me to leave earlier than I'm able?

Like 95 ish percent odds that will be honored. Few/ rare times you may be asked to ship sooner but it’s not a direct order.

CarterL

Future Aviators,

I have some information related to the ASTB Prep to pass on. Firstly, for those of you using the MacOS version, with the newest version of the application, you can now use your Thrustmaster T.Flight variant joysticks in the DLT and RC Simulators. They are fully functional with the emergency section in the RC simulator and include all of the custom instruction images you guys will need to practice effectively. I know a lot of you are using these joysticks to study, so this was important to me. However, please note that I could only test the program with the T.Flight Hotas One Variant. I am aware of two other variants of this model of the joystick. If you are using the other variants and the MacOS version, please tell me about your experience and whether the controller mapping is correct for your specific Thrustmaster T.Flight variant controller. I am getting some crash reports from my MacOS users, and I suspect it has something to do with these specific joystick models, hence why I haven't yet placed them on the approved controller list to use with the MacOS version. I will be waiting for your feedback. Thanks ahead of time.

Secondarily, I will continue to integrate more features into the Android version of the application. This includes more UAV, TI, and RC simulator features. I'm actively working on allowing you to connect X52 controllers to your Android devices to practice for the Stick and Throttle test with all the features you want. I will demonstrate how powerful a study tool is when you can connect the joystick to your phone or tablet once it is available.

Lastly, I have received many requests for free 1-on-1 virtual coaching sessions. I really enjoy doing these; feel free to DM me via Airwarriors if you are interested. However, you should realize I may not get back right away as my plate is a little full at the moment, but I will get back eventually.

Keep up the excellent work you guys!

Sincerely,
Two Scoops

ASTB Prep (iOS/MacOS)
ASTB Prep (Android)
I’m having issues with the Terrain ID section. About 3 months ago I was able to get 100% of the questions correct. However, now when I am practicing it seems I get the complete opposite of the correct answer every time.

Is this a bug? Or is it true that I am now misunderstanding how to get the correct answer?

I have added a photo from a recent test. Using the “pencil trick” to find a straight line on the reference map and then matching the direction of the straight line on the second picture to find the answer.

Attachments

• 1858C29B-C372-4CDF-A195-BCD05A6664A2.jpeg
    1858C29B-C372-4CDF-A195-BCD05A6664A2.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 28

mmandziak

I’m having issues with the Terrain ID section. About 3 months ago I was able to get 100% of the questions correct. However, now when I am practicing it seems I get the complete opposite of the correct answer every time.

Is this a bug? Or is it true that I am now misunderstanding how to get the correct answer?

I have added a photo from a recent test. Using the “pencil trick” to find a straight line on the reference map and then matching the direction of the straight line on the second picture to find the answer.
NNW is correct. It’s turned clockwise in right photo, which would give you NNW. I suggest using the 16-point compass trick, a lot more accurate than pencil trick.

JTayorinde

To people thats recently written the exam, can we have a consensus of how to prepare for the ANIT? noticed everyone has different experiences with it.
Any particular cram, quizlet or maybe anki that you followed?

mmandziak

Would you be able to explain the compass trick? I am unfamiliar with that one.
If you line up the reference line with north on a 16-point compass, and then turn it clockwise to match the rotated line, the “northernmost” cardinal direction would be NNW and that would be your answer.

mmandziak

To people thats recently written the exam, can we have a consensus of how to prepare for the ANIT? noticed everyone has different experiences with it.
Any particular cram, quizlet or maybe anki that you followed?
I studied the flashcards and the app and thought the ANIT portion of the test was easy.