• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

mmandziak

Will do. If I'm aiming for 9's, what scores should I be achieving, and at what difficulty level do you recommend practicing to ensure I'm ready?
I’m not sure about scores. I used the ASTB Prep App stick and throttle sim to prepare. I was averaging 32-35% ‘time on target’ and scored an 8 PFAR and 7 FOFAR.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Will do. If I'm aiming for 9's, what scores should I be achieving, and at what difficulty level do you recommend practicing to ensure I'm ready?
ASTB-E scores are percentile based so they represent how you scores compared other who take it that year. Just do your best and your scores will be what they.

exNavyOffRec

ASTB-E scores are percentile based so they represent how you scores compared other who take it that year. Just do your best and your scores will be what they.
They don't adjust year for year, that is why the scores are good for life. They will do an adjustment when they come out with a new version.

inflictedpilot

Hello all, I am prepping for the ASTB in two weeks and just started yesterday. I am a Mechanical Engineering senior and very comfortable with the math part of the exam (have gone through several practice problems) but am most ignorant of the ANIT part of the exam. I have the ASTB prep app as well as purchased the study guide linked below.

I am feeling quite overwhelmed (especially because of the sheer volume of information that I need to memorize for the ANIT portion). I have looked through this thread but am confused as to what is considered up to date information. I have downloaded all of the Kyle's google drive stuff but am still wondering if there are any good places to start or bits of information I am missing. Any suggestions are appreciated. I dont even know what gouge means lol :)

mmandziak

gouge = "inside information"

I believe studying the ANIT syllabus on the app is sufficient enough to learn, but one should practice extensively using the CRAM flashcards. Common consensus from recent test breakdowns show a trend of very little history or naval/boat questions. You'll get a ton of questions regarding parts/axes of a plane and their functions, runway/taxiway/glideslop/ATC lights and signals, and possibly some questions about rates/jersey colors.

The good thing about ANIT is it's totally memorization based...so if you PREPARE well you will DO well.

Last edited:

inflictedpilot

gouge = "inside information"

I believe studying the ANIT syllabus on the app is sufficient enough to learn, but one should practice extensively using the CRAM flashcards. Common consensus from recent test breakdowns show a trend of very little history or naval/boat questions. You'll get a ton of questions regarding parts/axes of a plane and their functions, runway/taxiway/glideslop/ATC lights and signals, and possibly some questions about rates/jersey colors.

The good thing about ANIT is it's totally memorization based...so if you PREPARE well you will DO well.
Thank you! So in that case I have everything I need for the ANIT portion of the exam. Would you say the math, reading, and mechanical bits on the app do a good job of preparing you or are a book and the google drive materials required to get a decent understanding of the exam questions? I’m not as worried about these but I just wanna be sure (especially with the mechanical).

Average Monke

They don't adjust year for year, that is why the scores are good for life. They will do an adjustment when they come out with a new version.
Interesting, I got bad information then. Would the addition of the terrain orientation section be considered a new version?

exNavyOffRec

Interesting, I got bad information then. Would the addition of the terrain orientation section be considered a new version?
If they are still using versions 7, 8, and 9 then it wouldn't.

Many years ago our test coordinator asked as there have been many rumors concerning the test and scoring. The answer was essentially what I posted so you have a background.

Does the terrain orientation actually go into the score or are they using it to test for a potential new version?

Average Monke

If they are still using versions 7, 8, and 9 then it wouldn't.

Many years ago our test coordinator asked as there have been many rumors concerning the test and scoring. The answer was essentially what I posted so you have a background.

Does the terrain orientation actually go into the score or are they using it to test for a potential new version?
If you are asking me, I have no idea

mmandziak

Thank you! So in that case I have everything I need for the ANIT portion of the exam. Would you say the math, reading, and mechanical bits on the app do a good job of preparing you or are a book and the google drive materials required to get a decent understanding of the exam questions? I’m not as worried about these but I just wanna be sure (especially with the mechanical).
from my experience studying, the app covers math and reading very well. Mechanical on the app is a lot more advanced than on the test, as the test is all theory based so a basic understanding of the concepts covered in the app is sufficient. I personally used the Barron's test prep book to study for mechanical.

amr3991

Hi y’all! So I’ve taken my first astb today… Embarrassed by my scores as the other posts i have seen have higher/competitive scores.
43 4/4/5 38
The last score (LPSS) is one i haven't heard of but seems low after little research.
It’s been 11 years since ive been out of college so I am pretty out of practice. Use mometrix and barrons practice tests for the math (didnt do s*** for me but i didn’t study enough basics from the books). Logs, simplify the expression… those messed me up and didn’t prepare for. Reading was SUPER mundane, Ive never read anything in my life that was so boring. ALL reading was military affiliated for me. Focus is super key on that part and i know i bombed it. Mechanical was a bit easier and i finished that section before time, but that was the only section in the OAR i finished before time.
I found this site two days before my test which sucks because I’ve found really helpful info as everyone else did. I bought the astb app the day before the test, which I’m glad i did because it was super beneficial in the UAV/ terrain id portion. But that was the only portion I really got into on the app. I’m sure i would have scored even lower if i didnt. I was pretty confident in ANIT portion to find i only knew maybe 60% of the answers off the bat. The throttle and stick were extremely sensitive to me, as i have never played video games in my life. I’m going to purchase a throttle and stick.

My concern is that my scores are pretty low to improve to at least 7s. That is my goal and i feel it’s attainable as i really want this and have my mind set. Does this seem wild?

mmandziak

N
Hi y’all! So I’ve taken my first astb today… Embarrassed by my scores as the other posts i have seen have higher/competitive scores.
43 4/4/5 38
The last score (LPSS) is one i haven't heard of but seems low after little research.
It’s been 11 years since ive been out of college so I am pretty out of practice. Use mometrix and barrons practice tests for the math (didnt do s*** for me but i didn’t study enough basics from the books). Logs, simplify the expression… those messed me up and didn’t prepare for. Reading was SUPER mundane, Ive never read anything in my life that was so boring. ALL reading was military affiliated for me. Focus is super key on that part and i know i bombed it. Mechanical was a bit easier and i finished that section before time, but that was the only section in the OAR i finished before time.
I found this site two days before my test which sucks because I’ve found really helpful info as everyone else did. I bought the astb app the day before the test, which I’m glad i did because it was super beneficial in the UAV/ terrain id portion. But that was the only portion I really got into on the app. I’m sure i would have scored even lower if i didnt. I was pretty confident in ANIT portion to find i only knew maybe 60% of the answers off the bat. The throttle and stick were extremely sensitive to me, as i have never played video games in my life. I’m going to purchase a throttle and stick.

My concern is that my scores are pretty low to improve to at least 7s. That is my goal and i feel it’s attainable as i really want this and have my mind set. Does this seem wild?
Not at all man 7’s are very achievable. Lots of kind people on this forum helped me get a good score so shoot me a message and I’ll gladly help!

emutoez

Hello All! I am gearing up to take the ASTB in the next two weeks, hopefully, but my recruiter is sort of ghosting me. I want to be prepared just in case. I have the Barrons Military Aptitude book and have also been using the ASTB prep app. I have only been studying for a week and a half. However, I have a couple of questions.

1. The mechanical comprehension practice test I have taken this far have been pretty easy, but the test on the ASTB app is much harder and technical. Which has me pretty worried. I was wondering if the real test is more similar to the prep app? I saw someone mention earlier that studying the Barrons book is sufficient, but I just want to make sure. This is my first time taking it.

2. I have practiced the UAV component of the test and I have gotten my time down to 2-3 seconds. How can I get faster? I have been using the compass trick. I was wondering if I should rely on the voice dictating what target I should pick or just use the what is written and attempt to get faster.

3. I cannot seem to get the Terrain ID down. I am frankly quite terrible at it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4. For the ANIT what resources can I use to best prepare myself for the questions. The cram flashcards have been helpful, but is there a source I should focus on?

mmandziak

1. Barron’s is sufficient. Mechanical syllabus on the app is overly complicated. It’s being revamped but TwoScoops is a busy man so give him time.

2. Practice practice practice and then practice some more. Compass trick is sufficient. Anything under 2 seconds is good. Listen, don’t listen…do whatever is fastest.

3. Message me for terrain ID help. I’ve been teaching a bunch of people on here the method that I used.

4. The prep app syllabus is sufficient to learn ANIT but the cram flashcards are an easy way to get your repetitions in. ANIT subtest performance is all about how well you memorized the information.