• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Hi fellow Air Warriors! I just finished the test and I got 65 9/9/8. I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that posted information on here and especially to TwoScoops for his app and help and to the creators of the Jantzen sim. I believe every single ounce of information I used to study with originally came from this website.

Others posts on here breaking down the test are super helpful already so I don't feel the need to repeat what others have said.

I think something that really helped my score was splitting the test into two sections. I took the OAR first and then finished on a different date and that allowed me to really focus my studies.

I would suggest being prepared for the test to potentially glitch out (such as: randomly lose volume for one question/portion, or not present you with a practice session when it says it will). Just be extra conscious and thorough and take your time.

mmandziak

Hi fellow Air Warriors! I just finished the test and I got 65 9/9/8. I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that posted information on here and especially to TwoScoops for his app and help and to the creators of the Jantzen sim. I believe every single ounce of information I used to study with originally came from this website.

Others posts on here breaking down the test are super helpful already so I don't feel the need to repeat what others have said.

I think something that really helped my score was splitting the test into two sections. I took the OAR first and then finished on a different date and that allowed me to really focus my studies.

I would suggest being prepared for the test to potentially glitch out (such as: randomly lose volume for one question/portion, or not present you with a practice session when it says it will). Just be extra conscious and thorough and take your time.
Great score, killed it!

FastMiler

Question: I've been going through the forum for a while as I study for my second attempt at the ASTB.

I scored 61 6/5/5. Generally, I've noticed that the vast majority of people who have a similar OAR score to me(55-65) score 7/7/7+. So why did I bomb the actual ASTB but did well on the OAR? Is this likely because I did poorly on the PBM?

mmandziak

Question: I've been going through the forum for a while as I study for my second attempt at the ASTB.

I scored 61 6/5/5. Generally, I've noticed that the vast majority of people who have a similar OAR score to me(55-65) score 7/7/7+. So why did I bomb the actual ASTB but did well on the OAR? Is this likely because I did poorly on the PBM?
Yes. OAR is comprised of MST, RCT, and MCT. PFAR/FOFAR are comprised of mainly ANIT and PBM.

I got a 55 OAR score but a 8 PFAR and 7 FOFAR.

Hello, I have two quick questions:
1. I have read on hear and reddit that people are getting the UAV section in under 2 seconds everytime. Is that from memorizing the flashcards or using the compass trick? I would say I am pretty proficient at the compass but cannot imagine doing it under 2 seconds on every one for the exam.

2. I have also seen/read mixed advice for the hearing them being take the non listening ear off or tilt your head. Taking the ear off obviously seems like the more reliable way but is it allowed? Would hate for that to be cheating and me do it.

Thank you and thank you to all who have contributed to this thread!

mmandziak

Hello, I have two quick questions:
1. I have read on hear and reddit that people are getting the UAV section in under 2 seconds everytime. Is that from memorizing the flashcards or using the compass trick? I would say I am pretty proficient at the compass but cannot imagine doing it under 2 seconds on every one for the exam.

2. I have also seen/read mixed advice for the hearing them being take the non listening ear off or tilt your head. Taking the ear off obviously seems like the more reliable way but is it allowed? Would hate for that to be cheating and me do it.

Thank you and thank you to all who have contributed to this thread!
1. I used the compass trick and got under 1.5 seconds on each UAV question.

2. I used the ‘one ear off’ trick for dichotic listening without any issues.

jrbltf88

Hello all,

I am seeking SNA through NROTC and am retaking the ASTB for the second time on Tuesday after getting a 6/7/6 for my first attempt. I've been using the app to study and am averaging mid-90s on the tests for each of the sections (weakest is Mechanical) and 1.4 sec for UAV questions. I got my stick and throttle scores with the X52 down to around 90 to 120 on the hardest difficulty for the simulator. I've been going through Kyle's drive as well to work through practice tests, but I was wondering if anyone had any last-minute advice in helping me prepare for Tuesday.

Thanks!

mmandziak

Hello all,

I am seeking SNA through NROTC and am retaking the ASTB for the second time on Tuesday after getting a 6/7/6 for my first attempt. I've been using the app to study and am averaging mid-90s on the tests for each of the sections (weakest is Mechanical) and 1.4 sec for UAV questions. I got my stick and throttle scores with the X52 down to around 90 to 120 on the hardest difficulty for the simulator. I've been going through Kyle's drive as well to work through practice tests, but I was wondering if anyone had any last-minute advice in helping me prepare for Tuesday.

Thanks!
Those are good app and simulator scores. I think you are well prepared. Just get a good night of sleep, eat a nutrient dense breakfast, and kill it! Good luck.

flyORdie

Hello all,

Thanks!
-Bring your stick/throttle and leave it in your car in case the one they have sucks or is missing suction cups.
-I used hand sanitizer they had to clean the table and throttle suction cups to make them stick better.
-I used earplugs during the test which was very helpful because the office was loud.
-Use the breaks in between sections to use the restroom and walk around (I did pushups lol)

waldo675

Hello all,
For the maths section, which drive would you all use most related to the OAR? The same goes for the English and Mechanical sections. I've improved on my second attempt but it was not the score I was looking for as I was 4 pts away from getting 45. Thanks! 🙏

mmandziak

Gomez’s drive has plenty of worksheets for the kind of math you’ll see on the test. For reading I would use the ASTB Prep App. For mechanical I used the Barron’s Book and Kieno Thomas’s videos on YouTube.

Zombie

I'm struggling with the stick and throttle on the Jantzen sim. The sensitivity is driving me crazy—if I move the stick just a bit, it responds slowly, but if I push it slightly more, it shoots across the screen. Interestingly, using a game controller or even the keyboard is much easier for me. I have the X52 Pro and am curious if others have had similar experiences.

I can score in the low 40s using just the throttle and around 90 with just the stick after lots of practice. When using both together, my score usually ranges between 100-130.

Is the stick sensitivity in the sim comparable to the actual test? Will I get used to it with more practice? Also, I've heard that the actual test is easier than the sim. Is this true?

mmandziak

I'm struggling with the stick and throttle on the Jantzen sim. The sensitivity is driving me crazy—if I move the stick just a bit, it responds slowly, but if I push it slightly more, it shoots across the screen. Interestingly, using a game controller or even the keyboard is much easier for me. I have the X52 Pro and am curious if others have had similar experiences.

I can score in the low 40s using just the throttle and around 90 with just the stick after lots of practice. When using both together, my score usually ranges between 100-130.

Is the stick sensitivity in the sim comparable to the actual test? Will I get used to it with more practice? Also, I've heard that the actual test is easier than the sim. Is this true?
Keep practicing. The sensitivy of the stick and throttle on the test are quite high, similar to what you described. Slow at first and then it darts across the screen.

Zombie

Keep practicing. The sensitivy of the stick and throttle on the test are quite high, similar to what you described. Slow at first and then it darts across the screen.
Will do. If I'm aiming for 9's, what scores should I be achieving, and at what difficulty level do you recommend practicing to ensure I'm ready?