• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Mbreitzman

You need to understand the basics. Exponent rules, radical rules, working with algebra. Pulleys, levers/torque and electricity is where I would start. Have you checked out the Gomez and Kyle drives?
Yes I’ve been studying those things thank you and I have with Kyles , but not Gomez

Marcus4clark

Failed my first attempt a year ago with OAR:49 AQR:3 PFAR:2 FOFAR:3, I went on deployment had nothing but time. Took my second test scored a OAR: 58 AQR: 7 PFAR/FOFAR:8. Study math and science. If you aren’t prior enlisted or Aviation then sprinkle in that Aviation Naval knowledge. I didn’t spend money on any X52. The listening is legit the most important part. I felt like I was behind the whole time i missed one number combination I know for a fact bc I was pissed. I used the app that two scoops made. My entire deployment. I graduated with a 3.18 gpa but I messed around at my previous college and had a 2.6 there or something like that. My average GPA between the two is a 2.93. Roughly. Plan on submitting this September.

Mat24

I plan on getting the X52 joystick to practice , but I have a Mac and they're not compatible. Is there any way to get around this? Thanks in advance.

CoMa

I plan on getting the X52 joystick to practice , but I have a Mac and they're not compatible. Is there any way to get around this? Thanks in advance.
You can get a USB Type C to USB adapter and if you have the ASTB Prep App it should be a simple plug and play.

MARTY TARTY

This is the sheet, it doesn’t so much give you factors that will qualify you or disqualify you but it’ll give you a good gauge of what other applicants are applying with and who is getting selected.
If I want to put my info in could I just create a column for myself or do i need to message someone and they'll add it for me? I was meaning to find this cause I just took mt ASTB and just want to see how I am compared to the others here.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Using the MacOS version of the ASTB Prep app, you can connect your X52 to the computer without any additional drivers. You need to buy the USB-C to USB Classic adapter. Reach out to me if you have any issues.

florabamaline

Hi everyone! I just took my first ASTB and scored a 64 9/9/9. I’m a 1/c ROTC MIDN with a Tier 3 major trying for an SNA assignment. I wanted to throw in general advice and random tips I don’t recall seeing on recent pages of the forum.

Math: PROBABILITY, simplifying complex expressions, interest rate problems, radicals, and logarithms. The prep app practice tests focused a lot on basic arithmetic and rate problems but less on the abovementioned topics. I did not think it was sufficient – I used Khan Academy and the Gomez file worksheets to practice. Also, know the area of an equilateral triangle bc I almost blanked on it. Most of my studying was just recalling SAT-style math prep. If you get confused simplifying complex expressions, pick random numbers to plug in for the variables, plug the same values into the answer choices, and see which one matches. Similarly, for radicals that you don’t have memorized, raise the answer choices to the same power you’re using to take the root and see which one matches. Don’t skip a question; even if it seems complicated, you most likely know how to work through the problem or at least make an educated guess!

Reading: Pretty straightforward. Pay careful attention to the wording of the answer choices. Avoid choices that use words like “always”/”never”/etc. Read the answer choices before the paragraph so you have a better idea of what to look for.

Mech: USE THESE FLASHCARDS: ASTB Mechanics Comprehension Questions !! I went through these until I had all of them memorized. SO good for getting the conceptual stuff down. Prep app notes are also great for learning concepts. The practice test on the app had a lot of calculations, but my test seldom had problems that required math – it was almost exclusively conceptual. Most questions can be answered with common sense/intuition, so don’t overthink. Just go with your gut feeling.

^^Keep track of how many questions you have done/have left. It won’t say which question you are on. I thought I would run out of time on the math and started rushing the questions, but ended up having ~5 min to spare.

ANIT: GRIND THE CRAM CARDS AND THE PREP APP UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERYTHING DOWN. Majority of my questions were aviation and not nautical-related. This is rote memorization. You’ll either know the answer or have to make a complete crapshoot guess.

LPSS: Answer as honestly as possible, even if your choice makes you sound like a ****. Pick the one that seems even remotely more likely to pertain to you. Try NOT to game the questions (it tracks consistency in your responses to gauge whether you are being honest), but I tended not to pick answers that said “always” and would instead pick the ones that said “would” or “sometimes.”

PBM: *PUT MOST OF YOUR PREP TIME INTO THESE*

-UAV: DO THE PREP APP PRACTICE ON RAPID FIRE MODE. Do it until you consistently get everything correct with a sub-1-second reaction time. I was averaging 42/42 correct with a reaction time in the low .80s. I only got one incorrect on the test and mostly took 0.9 or 1 second to respond. You’ll be using a mouse, so expect reaction times to be longer than what you have on the app.

-Dichotic Listening: Read the instructions carefully and write down which numbers correspond to which hands/buttons. Tilt your head toward the side of the target ear. I also repeated the target ear inputs out loud. I messed up a handful of times but ended up being fine, so if you hear you've missed a handful, don't freak out.

-Stick/Throttle: USE THE *NEW* JANTZEN SITE: https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/. *Borrow or buy a stick and throttle to practice.* I practiced on the hardest setting for 3-5 minutes each time and consistently got in the 90s/low-mid 100s. I know others who would use their peripheral vision to play while watching TV or YouTube, and they also scored a 9 for the pilot section. Rip it as often as you are able. Emergency procedures were very straightforward.

-Terrain ID: Draw a compass with all of the cardinal directions. Find a line or landmark you can associate with a direction, then turn the paper to its correct orientation on the righthand picture. The direction pointing directly upwards is the heading. It’s the same trick described in this video: New ASTB Spatial Appreciation TrickYouTube · Neil Davis2 minutes, 34 secondsDec 28, 2016

If you put in the effort, you will see great results! I truly believe the ASTB reflects a person’s work ethic more than raw intelligence or skill, so work hard and be confident in your abilities. I was grinding for ~2.5 weeks straight and don’t regret an ounce of the effort I put in!! Lean on this forum and any peers you know who have also taken the exam. Good luck; y’all got this!

NKMess

Hi everyone! I just took my first ASTB and scored a 64 9/9/9. I’m a 1/c ROTC MIDN with a Tier 3 major trying for an SNA assignment. I wanted to throw in general advice and random tips I don’t recall seeing on recent pages of the forum.

Math: PROBABILITY, simplifying complex expressions, interest rate problems, radicals, and logarithms. The prep app practice tests focused a lot on basic arithmetic and rate problems but less on the abovementioned topics. I did not think it was sufficient – I used Khan Academy and the Gomez file worksheets to practice. Also, know the area of an equilateral triangle bc I almost blanked on it. Most of my studying was just recalling SAT-style math prep. If you get confused simplifying complex expressions, pick random numbers to plug in for the variables, plug the same values into the answer choices, and see which one matches. Similarly, for radicals that you don’t have memorized, raise the answer choices to the same power you’re using to take the root and see which one matches. Don’t skip a question; even if it seems complicated, you most likely know how to work through the problem or at least make an educated guess!

Reading: Pretty straightforward. Pay careful attention to the wording of the answer choices. Avoid choices that use words like “always”/”never”/etc. Read the answer choices before the paragraph so you have a better idea of what to look for.

Mech: USE THESE FLASHCARDS: ASTB Mechanics Comprehension Questions !! I went through these until I had all of them memorized. SO good for getting the conceptual stuff down. Prep app notes are also great for learning concepts. The practice test on the app had a lot of calculations, but my test seldom had problems that required math – it was almost exclusively conceptual. Most questions can be answered with common sense/intuition, so don’t overthink. Just go with your gut feeling.

^^Keep track of how many questions you have done/have left. It won’t say which question you are on. I thought I would run out of time on the math and started rushing the questions, but ended up having ~5 min to spare.

ANIT: GRIND THE CRAM CARDS AND THE PREP APP UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERYTHING DOWN. Majority of my questions were aviation and not nautical-related. This is rote memorization. You’ll either know the answer or have to make a complete crapshoot guess.

LPSS: Answer as honestly as possible, even if your choice makes you sound like a ****. Pick the one that seems even remotely more likely to pertain to you. Try NOT to game the questions (it tracks consistency in your responses to gauge whether you are being honest), but I tended not to pick answers that said “always” and would instead pick the ones that said “would” or “sometimes.”

-UAV: DO THE PREP APP PRACTICE ON RAPID FIRE MODE. Do it until you consistently get everything correct with a sub-1-second reaction time. I was averaging 42/42 correct with a reaction time in the low .80s. I only got one incorrect on the test and mostly took 0.9 or 1 second to respond. You’ll be using a mouse, so expect reaction times to be longer than what you have on the app.

-Dichotic Listening: Read the instructions carefully and write down which numbers correspond to which hands/buttons. Tilt your head toward the side of the target ear. I also repeated the target ear inputs out loud. I messed up a handful of times but ended up being fine, so if you hear you've missed a handful, don't freak out.

-Stick/Throttle: USE THE *NEW* JANTZEN SITE: https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/. *Borrow or buy a stick and throttle to practice.* I practiced on the hardest setting for 3-5 minutes each time and consistently got in the 90s/low-mid 100s. I know others who would use their peripheral vision to play while watching TV or YouTube, and they also scored a 9 for the pilot section. Rip it as often as you are able. Emergency procedures were very straightforward.

-Terrain ID: Draw a compass with all of the cardinal directions. Find a line or landmark you can associate with a direction, then turn the paper to its correct orientation on the righthand picture. The direction pointing directly upwards is the heading. It’s the same trick described in this video: New ASTB Spatial Appreciation TrickYouTube · Neil Davis2 minutes, 34 secondsDec 28, 2016

If you put in the effort, you will see great results! I truly believe the ASTB reflects a person’s work ethic more than raw intelligence or skill, so work hard and be confident in your abilities. I was grinding for ~2.5 weeks straight and don’t regret an ounce of the effort I put in!! Lean on this forum and any peers you know who have also taken the exam. Good luck; y’all got this!
Good stuff, I appreciate the feedback and advise - I'm taking my test in about three weeks.

JTayorinde

For the

For the stick and throttle did you practice them together or seperately?
3-5 min for stick and the same for throttle?

I've been a lurker on here for about two months while studying on and off for the ASTB which I took today. I am an Active Duty Naval Aircrewman with a little over 11 years in. I am going to try and keep this short and sweet. I got a 48 5/7/7. I certainly did better than I thought I would do, and better than I thought I was doing during the PBM. Obviously these scores are not neck-breaking and I am positive you all are capable of scoring much higher, with the appropriate commitment. My biggest advice is to commit 100% to this exam, because if you do not, this exam will chew you up and spit you out. I like to think I am above average aptitude with plenty of room to grow, and with studying somewhere around an hour a day and a lot more during boring flights, I was able to score above average after a month.

Kyle's drive was probably most helpful to me, along with the prep app and some occasional youtube videos for things I wasn't understanding. Study everything you can because there is absolutely no way to predict what you will see or how much of it. I saw some things I studied, and saw some things never even mentioned. The UAV and Terrain ID are very straight forward and super easy, so try and do well on those. The stick and throttle is damn near impossible, between the slipping and sliding of the equipment, and the sheer speed of the targets. You can tell priority is placed on your ability to do well on listening and EP's versus sheer accuracy of the stick and throttle. I am not kidding when I say I was barely tracking this thing the entire time.

I had precisely 0.0 minutes of practice with the stick and throttle prior to the exam btw. So those of you with plenty of practice should do significantly better.

Gouge was right on the UAV. Do not wear the headset during. It is so loud and slow it was way easier with it off and just reading the target building.

The NATFI is horrible and you will be second guessing most of your answers because they are both terrible and you won't remember what you picked prior to seeing it again. Just be as honest as you can. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Last edited: