• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Jowen872

you need to use a gamepad key mapper to set it up. It's not plug and play. There's plenty of posts on here going over it.
Ive tried but still got nowhere. Got a few virus warnings so I just stopped trying. Don’t wanna wreck my computer. Just gonna use the mouse it’s fine. The issue wasn’t that I don’t know how a hotas feels it was just that I went into that section of the test not knowing how the controls really worked or what the test was gonna ask me to do

mmandziak

Ive tried but still got nowhere. Got a few virus warnings so I just stopped trying. Don’t wanna wreck my computer. Just gonna use the mouse it’s fine. The issue wasn’t that I don’t know how a hotas feels it was just that I went into that section of the test not knowing how the controls really worked
then I don't know what to tell you. prepare, don't prepare, I can't force you to do anything. But if you want a better score I would highly suggest figuring it out.

Jowen872

then I don't know what to tell you. prepare, don't prepare, I can't force you to do anything. But if you want a better score I would highly suggest figuring it out.
I actually managed to figure it out. Any way to sorta fix the all or nothing problem on the throttle? It seems to just wanna stay going one direction at one speed whenever it receives input.

dasilkysmooth

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for the past few weeks. Just took the OAR and scored 63 I mostly just studied using Kyle's, Holly's, and Gomez's drives which I found throughout this forum. If you have any specific questions let me know I'd be happy to help.
I need some study guides please

chonnydesu

I actually managed to figure it out. Any way to sorta fix the all or nothing problem on the throttle? It seems to just wanna stay going one direction at one speed whenever it receives input.
thats actually how it is on the test, it isn't how throttles are supposed to be, but for some reason it's like that on the astb.

emutoez

Hi all, I took the ASTB today for the first time and scored 51, 6, 7, 7. My recruiter said not to retake it as I have "decent" scores and a 3.9 GPA. Not as good as I had hoped to do. Hopefully I have a shot because all of your scores are amazing. However, I hope my experience can help people in the future.

Math: Was a lot easier than I expected. Mostly basic probability to be honest, roots, and exponent's. I think I only got 14 questions. I Just practiced all of these questions. But for the most part most of these were not on the exam for me:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12s7iEBfaOwwfu2wv0XI66KdLr6wATTk2/edit

Reading: This section killed me to be honest. I have no idea on how I did.

Mechanical: I think I should have focused on the kyle and gomez drives because I mainly studied off of the Trivium test book and Barrons, but I did not feel adequately prepared. There was a lot more solving, than basic conceptual physics than I had anticipated.

ANIT: This went very smooth for me. I made my own flashcards, but most of it was in the CRAM cards. Some questions were the exact same. One boat question. Nothing about lights, runways, history etc. Just mostly about the aircraft itself and how it works.

For the PBM sections I think the Terrain ID, UAV, Dichotic Listening, and Emergency procedures hold the most weight. During the test the throttle worked great, but the joystick I used was not even close to the target at any time (it would get stuck and not move no matter what I did). So it is safe to assume that a good portion of the scores are not heavily dependent on the flight sim. However, if I wanted to get 8's or 9's I would definitely need a working joystick lol. Anyway, definitely try to perfect the Terrain ID, UAV, Dichotic Listening, and Emergency procedures. Hope this helps anyone who absolutely sucks at the flight sim.

Last edited:

Jowen872

thats actually how it is on the test, it isn't how throttles are supposed to be, but for some reason it's like that on the astb.
It most definitely wasn’t like that on my ASTB. It changed based on your throttle input Im almost certain, I took it yesterday. I increased the throttle DZ on mine which makes it a lil better. That still kinda sucks but I have calibrated the joy perfectly and took a spring out of my Hotas to make it looser like the one on the test (I had 2 in there before for extra stiffness flying in sims). Also increased joy sensitivity for more difficult practice. Mapping wasn’t bad at all. I’ll tell u I’ve had to map out 20x more buttons for every different plane I’ve flown in DCS so that wasn’t too unfamiliar once I found the right interface for it.

chonnydesu

It most definitely wasn’t like that on my ASTB. It changed based on your throttle input Im almost certain, I took it yesterday. I increased the throttle DZ on mine which makes it a lil better. That still kinda sucks but I have calibrated the joy perfectly and took a spring out of my Hotas to make it looser like the one on the test (I had 2 in there before for extra stiffness flying in sims). Also increased joy sensitivity for more difficult practice. Mapping wasn’t bad at all. I’ll tell u I’ve had to map out 20x more buttons for every different plane I’ve flown in DCS so that wasn’t too unfamiliar once I found the right interface for it.
Whoops I misunderstood his question then, but yeah the speed should increase with the angle

Hey y'all! I'm a sophomore in HS and I am going into my first year of JROTC this year, my dream is to be a Navy Pilot, what right now can I do to prepare and get ahead (other than that "get good grades" bs I already know. I didn't have any future plans in freshman year so my GPA is fucked up, I have a 2.5 but will be bringing that up. I am physically fit but because of JROTC rules I am not playing a sport this year, I played jv baseball last year and am confident that I will be varsity junior and senior year. I want to get into The Naval Academy and I'm getting my pilots license when I turn 16. Anyways the real question I'm asking here are what can I do to start studying for OCS, ASTB, etc right now. EX: books to buy, online courses to take, places to go, people to talk to.... Hope someone can help me out, thank you!

Hey y'all! I'm a sophomore in HS and I am going into my first year of JROTC this year, my dream is to be a Navy Pilot, what right now can I do to prepare and get ahead (other than that "get good grades" bs I already know. I didn't have any future plans in freshman year so my GPA is fucked up, I have a 2.5 but will be bringing that up. I am physically fit but because of JROTC rules I am not playing a sport this year, I played jv baseball last year and am confident that I will be varsity junior and senior year. I want to get into The Naval Academy and I'm getting my pilots license when I turn 16. Anyways the real question I'm asking here are what can I do to start studying for OCS, ASTB, etc right now. EX: books to buy, online courses to take, places to go, people to talk to.... Hope someone can help me out, thank you!
If you take the traditional 4 years to graduate college, then you have 6 more years of school. Most people only prep for the exam for 2 weeks to 3 months. Let's just say you have time. I would prep hard for the SAT because that will translate well when you start studying again in 6 years. The BS about just get good grades and stay in shape is exactly what you want to do right now. Not only will that make competitive for SNA, it will make you competitive for other jobs if you get tripped up my medical. You got time, enjoy high school and college for what it is.

lunter

I scored a 63 OAR, 8/7/8 last Thursday on my first try. 3.85 computer science GPA. Is it worth retaking to get an 8+ on PFAR or is a 7 still good for SNA with the rest of my numbers? The throttle knobs were completely broken for the emergency procedures section so it ended after like 30 seconds for me.

I scored a 63 OAR, 8/7/8 last Thursday on my first try. 3.85 computer science GPA. Is it worth retaking to get an 8+ on PFAR or is a 7 still good for SNA with the rest of my numbers? The throttle knobs were completely broken for the emergency procedures section so it ended after like 30 seconds for me.
Do you have the excel sheet with historical averages? You can use that to see how you stack up. Plenty of people have been accepted recently with similar scores to you.

exNavyOffRec

You should be good and unless you have waivers should qualify for immediate selection.