• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Echoing what's been said before, the stick and throttle practice is really not that important. It's less about having perfect control over the cursor and throttle with the exact equipment provided, and more about the general skill required to focus on multiple targets at the same time. Practice the jantzen sim on trackpad and keyboard with audio cues on, gradually increasing the difficulty as you improve. Once you get to the test, the practice session before the testing block should be enough to rewire those controls in your brain. MOST IMPORTANT TIP is just to stay calm. If you end up way off target just take a deep breath and lock back on. Don't get rattled and you'll score fine.

katef35

I got a 5,7,6 on my most recent ASTB. Would I be more competitive to pick up pilot or NFO? I have to decide by tomorrow.

exNavyOffRec

I got a 5,7,6 on my most recent ASTB. Would I be more competitive to pick up pilot or NFO? I have to decide by tomorrow.
If you want to put SNA then only put SNA and DO NOT PUT SNFO anywhere, historically they have more people apply for SNA than SNFO. There have been several multiple instances where a person had better scores for SNA but was picked up SNFO, it is quite possible if they had only put SNA that is what they would have selected for.
Based on information from the last few boards, from this spreadsheet, these scores will probably get you in. Go for whichever you would rather do, and remember you can go SNA for top pick and SNFO for second choice.
The boards changed several years ago and before that it was recommended to put both as the board would select your for both and you could pick, they no longer do that. A person going for aviation should only put one or the other not both, too many times people have put both and been disappointed or wondered if they would have been picked for SNA instead of SNFO if they only put SNA.

AE35-17

If you want to put SNA then only put SNA and DO NOT PUT SNFO anywhere, historically they have more people apply for SNA than SNFO. There have been several multiple instances where a person had better scores for SNA but was picked up SNFO, it is quite possible if they had only put SNA that is what they would have selected for.

The boards changed several years ago and before that it was recommended to put both as the board would select your for both and you could pick, they no longer do that. A person going for aviation should only put one or the other not both, too many times people have put both and been disappointed or wondered if they would have been picked for SNA instead of SNFO if they only put SNA.
I have asked this exact question multiple times to two different recruiters. Both told me to put down SNA and SNFO, assuring me that it will not effect how I am evaluated for SNA. I am not sure which is true. If anyone else has insight on this, I would appreciate more input!

exNavyOffRec

I have asked this exact question multiple times to two different recruiters. Both told me to put down SNA and SNFO, assuring me that it will not effect how I am evaluated for SNA. I am not sure which is true. If anyone else has insight on this, I would appreciate more input!
If you search you will find people that put both down, were selected for SNFO and were not happy, some had better scores for SNA than others selected for SNA. Many of us have said do not put SNFO down if you really want SNA including @FormerRecruitingGuru and those that are currently pilots.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Doing that essentially tells the board you are fine going SNFO.

Only put SNA as your first and only choice if you only want to be a Pilot. Applying for multiple programs only tells the board you are fine taking other opportunities if offered/selected, it does NOT give you bonus points for selection.

Don’t be “that guy” (or gal) who applies for both then gets selected for SNFO and then makes a lengthy post about not wanting to be one. It happens.

I took the ASTB this morning, 44/5/7/7. I feel I did pretty well, little to no flight sim experience (however I just got a stick and throttle last week and started prating on the Jantzen sim) and I am very happy with the 7/7 but not too pleased with AQR. I feel I did alright with the Math, Reading and ANIT but the Mechanical Comp was nothing like what I expected. I never took physics so I just studied basics of simple machines, SI's, mechanical advantage and some related things.

I feel I can do better with the AQR if I study for the next month until I can retake; I also feel like since I have very little experience with the stick and throttle but still went 7/7, I could raise those scores no question. I am just wondering if I should retake it to make myself more competitive or try to go before the board as is?

3.51 GPA, Cum Laude. Pretty solid extracurricular involvement and leadership experience. I was arrested my sophomore year of college but all charges have been expunged so my record is clean.

I know 6/6/6 is automatic selection for NFO's and 7/7/7 is automatic selection for Pilot. I am so close, should I take it again and try to get to get my AQR score to the threshold for automatic selection so I can just forgo the board or ride with what I have?

Going for Pilot first, NFO second.

asmith04

Just took my first ASTB this afternoon, 72 9/8/8. I'm a 3rd year aerospace major in NROTC.

Biggest takeaways from the exam are definitely to relax and just do your best. I was super nervous going into the exam, but if you care enough to do your research and be on this forum, then you probably care enough that you'll do just fine. Study hard with the drives and do practice tests. I never did a full on practice test, mostly just a few questions at a time and then checking my work. I studied on and off for 3 or so months, maybe 30 mins tops every other day. Test week I went hard in the paint and studied all day for three or four days straight. Probably not a good strategy as this really stressed me out and made me feel unprepared.

The math section was not really what I was expecting. Questions weren't super easy from the start, but they still doable (basic algebra and whatnot). being the first section on top of being super nervous didnt help either. I had one question on perfect numbers that I guessed on. Problems got really hard really fast (matrix multiplication, long convoluted log equations etc.) and then it ended. it felt like i had only 10 questions or so and i was done pretty quick. that threw me for a loop because I couldn't tell if it ended because I was doing good or because I bombed it.

Didnt study at all for reading, just read this forum and went in blind. Already been mentioned but its all really boring articles, and just eliminate choices that arent explicitly in the text. I took the full time for this one, it only ended when I had like 20 seconds left. not sure how many questions I got through either. i dont think you really need to stress out time wise for this one.

Mechanical was pretty easy, its not really like the prep app if youve been using it. There was no math or anything like that, just purely conceptual. I didnt get any circuits or electrons like some people mentioned, mostly pulleys, work, bernoullis, etc. If you've taken any sort of physics and gone through the practice tests you'll be fine.

ANIT wasnt what I expected either. No airspace, lights, or navy rates questions. im sure theyre in the bank but i didnt see any myself. Mostly basic airplane info ie "what happens when you pull back on the stick" 'what is an empennage" etc. I got one curveball on carburetor icing that i made my best guess on. If you like planes at all or play flight sims this section will probably not be an issue.

The UAV section messed me up the most. I used the prep app non stop for like a week before the exam and was getting 41-42 out of 42 every time, averaging around ~1s using my phone. I thought this would be the easiest part of the exam. When I got to the actual portion though its not 100% like the app as I had been told. definitely very similar but the biggest thing was its not a picture of a drone like the app, its just a little ball and an arrow. I based most of my muscle memory off of using the drone wings as quadrants so this definitely messed me up. I got 2 wrong and my reaction time was abysmal, in the 2-4 second range for some. I convinced myself i was doing terrible after that, which didnt help.

The stick portion is pretty much the same as the prep app other than the ancient early 2000s UI on the actual exam. looks a lot like the jantzen sim though if you use that. I found it much harder than the prep app in terms of speed but it wasnt terrible. Write your emergency procedures down legibly because I messed one up due to labeling it wrong. also, the stick at my testing center sucked. I used a thrustmaster to study so I wasnt used to how loose the X-52 stick would be, or how stiff the throttle would be. there was a knob to adjust the throttle but it was broken, so you really had to muscle that thing to get it to move, all while trying not to knock it off the table.

try and ace the listening section. I had heard it was heavily weighted so most of my attention went to that and i think i got all of them, which might explain how i still got an 8 after goofing up the EPs. Use the prep app or the jantzen sim and youll be fine, just focus mostly on the sounds when you get to that portion.

terrain identification is way easier than the prep app. way less zoomed in and with very noticeable landmarks. draw a compass and use landmarks and youll be fine. I dont think i missed any of them and I barely practiced it.

Overall, I thought I did terrible before I saw my score. missing two UAV sections and butchering one of the EPs, as well as only having like 10 math questions really made me think I was gonna bomb it. I read on this forum that missing two on the UAV would bring you down to like a 6 or something but that's not true. Take what you read with a grain of salt and just do your best.

Good luck to anyone taking it soon. keep your head up and go easy on yourself, the exam is only as hard as you make it.

jsnchwen

Can anyone confidently answer this MCT question?

Assuming that A refers to the pulley on the left and B refers to the pulley on the right, I chose B, but apparently the answer is A.

1726170060671.png

addison.renfroe

Can anyone confidently answer this MCT question?

Assuming that A refers to the pulley on the left and B refers to the pulley on the right, I chose B, but apparently the answer is A.

View attachment 41105
Put yourself as the person pulling at the end of the arrows. Pulling up trying to lift an object is going to require significantly more than pulling down on it. It’s just like it requires less effort to push something downward than it does going up. Hope that helps.

Andre12

I really think B requires less force. Pulling the rope 1 foot on B only move the weight 6". Where as pulling the rope 1 foot on A moves the weight 1 foot so no mechanical advantage.

Isn't that right on how the pulley would work on B?

jsnchwen

Put yourself as the person pulling at the end of the arrows. Pulling up trying to lift an object is going to require significantly more than pulling down on it. It’s just like it requires less effort to push something downward than it does going up. Hope that helps.
I originally had this same line of reasoning, but fixed pulleys don't have as much of a mechanical advantage as movable pulleys.

Seeing both pulleys are moving the same weight across the same distance on the same ramp, I'd figured the one with the greater mechanical advantage would require less force (i.e. pulley B because it's a movable pulley with a MA = 2 (the two string segments) whereas pulley A has an MA of 1 (fixed pulley always has MA = 1)