• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

brynaranjo

Were the mech questions pretty simple or were the test in Barrons fairly similar, I’m only worried about the mech
I just got done taking the ASTB for the first time this morning and I was more or less feeling the same as you are. I scored a 62 OAR and 8/9/8 for the PBM portion thanks to all the study material in the Gomez drive (some of the material is a bit dated as mentioned by NKMess), the ASTB Prep App, and the most recent version of the original Jantzen simulator.

The mechanical portion was essentially all conceptual and hardly any calculations other than multiplying two numbers for one or two questions which was pretty relieving as it didn't seem as difficult. That being said, I felt like I was least prepared for this part of the test and I even ran out of time because I completely let the timer slip my mind. If you're having a hard time understanding the concept, I would recommend going over each lesson in the ASTB Prep app as this would probably give you a decent amount of base knowledge. As long as you have a basic understanding of the mechanical concepts and do okay on the reading and math, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I do want to stress the importance of practicing for the PBM section which the ASTB App is great for, specifically the UAV and terrain identification parts. The Jantzen simulator helped a ton with the rest.

GunnarB

I just got done taking the ASTB for the first time this morning and I was more or less feeling the same as you are. I scored a 62 OAR and 8/9/8 for the PBM portion thanks to all the study material in the Gomez drive (some of the material is a bit dated as mentioned by NKMess), the ASTB Prep App, and the most recent version of the original Jantzen simulator.

The mechanical portion was essentially all conceptual and hardly any calculations other than multiplying two numbers for one or two questions which was pretty relieving as it didn't seem as difficult. That being said, I felt like I was least prepared for this part of the test and I even ran out of time because I completely let the timer slip my mind. If you're having a hard time understanding the concept, I would recommend going over each lesson in the ASTB Prep app as this would probably give you a decent amount of base knowledge. As long as you have a basic understanding of the mechanical concepts and do okay on the reading and math, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I do want to stress the importance of practicing for the PBM section which the ASTB App is great for, specifically the UAV and terrain identification parts. The Jantzen simulator helped a ton with the rest.
Thanks bro, congrats on ur score

ausername

Took the OAR and got 67. The math section took me the whole 40 mins, the questions were never ending, and I thought I was doing okay with my answers. But both the reading and the mechanical section ended before the allotted time, and I was iffy about my choices. So is running out of time in one section not totally a bad sign?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took the OAR and got 67. The math section took me the whole 40 mins, the questions were never ending, and I thought I was doing okay with my answers. But both the reading and the mechanical section ended before the allotted time, and I was iffy about my choices. So is running out of time in one section not totally a bad sign?
That's a solid score. I'm assuming you will apply with that score?