• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

Skylanepilot1981

“As usual, the board applicants were competitive with most selects possessing above average scores as well as prior flight time and leadership experience. Additionally, we reviewed the quality of each applicants’ AirWarriors posting history in order to further eliminate individuals, resulting in a shortage of selects for FY22”
I started reading that was like damn is he quoting the actual board statements?!

GoldLeaf

Gosh I hope prior flight experience isn't THAT big of a deal. On that note, would passing the FAA ground test count for anything?
It would only matter if you have your Recruiter Scan the Certificate ?. You can submit certificates, licenses, and achievements.

GoldLeaf

Gosh with all the studying I've done for the ASTB on that material I might as well haha
If I'm not mistaken if you are applying for the next board I'd go ahead and do a Ground School. Sporty's is what I did, and I'd go do some flying if you can afford it. If not at least go do a discovery flight and get your first logged Flight Hour :) fun experience.

FloridaDad

If I'm not mistaken if you are applying for the next board I'd go ahead and do a Ground School. Sporty's is what I did, and I'd go do some flying if you can afford it. If not at least go do a discovery flight and get your first logged Flight Hour :) fun experience.
Ya I'm applying for the next board and a pilot friend already gave me access to the online ground school he bought so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that!

GoldLeaf

Ya I'm applying for the next board and a pilot friend already gave me access to the online ground school he bought so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that!
If you complete it, the certificate would most likely have his name ? just keep your eyes peeled. I got my sportys one for like 60% off through the honey coupon web extension. They run deals every so often.

also

Exams4pilots.com is a great resource to test your knowledge :p

FloridaDad

If you complete it, the certificate would most likely have his name ? just keep your eyes peeled. I got my sportys one for like 60% off through the honey coupon web extension. They run deals every so often.

also

Exams4pilots.com is a great resource to test your knowledge :p
Thanks for the heads up! I guess they do that to keep people from doing exactly what I was suggesting hahaha

GoldLeaf

Thanks for the heads up! I guess they do that to keep people from doing exactly what I was suggesting hahaha
As much as there is a debate on flight experience vs none

If you can add extra certs, ratings, hours of experience, it'll only make you more marketable especially if it comes down to two people with same scores and one has certs etc.

that being said ASTB is still King

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
On this topic I wonder as someone who has practically no flight experience, if I get a prorec-y, should I take classes just enough to skip the new intro that the Navy does for SNA? I can't remember the acronym but it sounded like a series of 10 cessna flights to attrite you if you really suck. Of course "it couldn't hurt" except taking flight lessons before OCS will cost me time and money which I won't have much of.

GoldLeaf

On this topic I wonder as someone who has practically no flight experience, if I get a prorec-y, should I take classes just enough to skip the new intro that the Navy does for SNA? I can't remember the acronym but it sounded like a series of 10 cessna flights to attrite you if you really suck. Of course "it couldn't hurt" except taking flight lessons before OCS will cost me time and money which I won't have much of.
Personally, in the described situation. I would at least do the discovery flight. I have a friend that was gungho about doing flight training. (not pursuing military aviation) but got to ground reference maneuvers and could not stomach it. He puked all over the plane. I'd make sure you can handle it mentally and physically in a cessna. Once you start the training, maybe @Skylanepilot1981 can attest to this, but when you begin cross country stages. It can get daunting being alone in a plane having to go 150nm etc by yourself. Some people do not have the nerves for it.

You have to have your mind in the right place essentially is what I'm saying. So go see if you have the nerves for it if you want.
I only began the process because I wanted a PPL regardless, and at the time I was applying AF (Which hours weigh HEAVILY on your scores).