• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

flatspinturkeyb

69 9/9/9 GPA: b4d
Personally, in the described situation. I would at least do the discovery flight. I have a friend that was gungho about doing flight training. (not pursuing military aviation) but got to ground reference maneuvers and could not stomach it. He puked all over the plane. I'd make sure you can handle it mentally and physically in a cessna. Once you start the training, maybe @skylane
I did a discovery flight earlier this year knowing I can get motion sick easily. The few times the pilot bunted the nose I did get sick but didn't barf. I figured a few barfing sessions would fix it but maybe I'll be like your buddy who just can't deal.

GoldLeaf

I did a discovery flight earlier this year knowing I can get motion sick easily. The few times the pilot bunted the nose I did get sick but didn't barf. I figured a few barfing sessions would fix it but maybe I'll be like your buddy who just can't deal.
Go do another or an actual lesson and have them teach ground reference maneuvers. If it's what I think you're describing I felt it too but after multiples times it was mostly just nerves. Never nausea in my stomach. There are MANY nervous things to overcome especially if you didn't grow up around it ( I did not ).

Example: The first time I left the safety of the Traffic Pattern of my Airport my nerves were shot. I had to turn around and go back at it another day. Granted it was peak gusts of 15kts and I was maybe 15-20hrs in.

bcal

Typically you will overcome air sickness. Sometimes when you begin flight training your body just isn’t used to it

Mike D.

Contributor
On this topic I wonder as someone who has practically no flight experience, if I get a prorec-y, should I take classes just enough to skip the new intro that the Navy does for SNA? I can't remember the acronym but it sounded like a series of 10 cessna flights to attrite you if you really suck. Of course "it couldn't hurt" except taking flight lessons before OCS will cost me time and money which I won't have much of.
If you are short on time after a Pro Y, you should probably use that time for Bravo knowledge. Like you said though, flight hours can't hurt...but Bravo is far more important at the moment!

GoldLeaf

If you are short on time after a Pro Y, you should probably use that time for Bravo knowledge. Like you said though, flight hours can't hurt...but Bravo is far more important at the moment!
Agree 100% with this. The flight part should be a pre req before flying becomes a thought personally (not a pre req for applying) ?
Bravo is definitely the best thing to do post Pro Rec Y

flatspinturkeyb

Go do another or an actual lesson and have them teach ground reference maneuvers. If it's what I think you're describing I felt it too but after multiples times it was mostly just nerves. Never nausea in my stomach. There are MANY nervous things to overcome especially if you didn't grow up around it ( I did not ).

Example: The first time I left the safety of the Traffic Pattern of my Airport my nerves were shot. I had to turn around and go back at it another day. Granted it was peak gusts of 15kts and I was maybe 15-20hrs in.
Just looked up ground reference maneuvers. It looks pretty fun!
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/media/08_afh_ch6.pdf

flatspinturkeyb

Typically you will overcome air sickness. Sometimes when you begin flight training your body just isn’t used to it
Thanks!

Skylanepilot1981

Personally, in the described situation. I would at least do the discovery flight. I have a friend that was gungho about doing flight training. (not pursuing military aviation) but got to ground reference maneuvers and could not stomach it. He puked all over the plane. I'd make sure you can handle it mentally and physically in a cessna. Once you start the training, maybe @Skylanepilot1981 can attest to this, but when you begin cross country stages. It can get daunting being alone in a plane having to go 150nm etc by yourself. Some people do not have the nerves for it.

You have to have your mind in the right place essentially is what I'm saying. So go see if you have the nerves for it if you want.
I only began the process because I wanted a PPL regardless, and at the time I was applying AF (Which hours weigh HEAVILY on your scores).
@flatspinturkeyb
I some people have it, other people don’t, someone people can get over it.

but your body will eventually get used to most of it. Once you start taking control and concentrating your mind will be taken off the forces of flight more and you’ll forget to get sick ?

parthvader

unloadingforknots
On this topic I wonder as someone who has practically no flight experience, if I get a prorec-y, should I take classes just enough to skip the new intro that the Navy does for SNA? I can't remember the acronym but it sounded like a series of 10 cessna flights to attrite you if you really suck. Of course "it couldn't hurt" except taking flight lessons before OCS will cost me time and money which I won't have much of.
NIFE is pretty much mandatory, even if you have certificates you get an option to check out with the navy examiner. From my understanding, having experience just lets you fastrack it rather than skip it. I have my CFI and I still plan to go through the whole thing if accepted. Doesn’t hurt to grab extra flight hours.

GoldLeaf

NIFE is pretty much mandatory, even if you have certificates you get an option to check out with the navy examiner. From my understanding, having experience just lets you fastrack it rather than skip it. I have my CFI and I still plan to go through the whole thing if accepted. Doesn’t hurt to grab extra flight hours.
Welcome to the Sh*t Show of AW 1 NOV 21 Board ?

FloridaDad

@flatspinturkeyb
I some people have it, other people don’t, someone people can get over it.

but your body will eventually get used to most of it. Once you start taking control and concentrating your mind will be taken off the forces of flight more and you’ll forget to get sick ?
I know it's different from flight but my brother and I were talking about this recently (having control negating motion sickness). Both of us as teens could ride roller coasters over and over and over again and not feel a thing but as adults have found that motion sickness actually happens from time to time. Our hypothesis is that since we both drive and are never really passengers in cars we've become more used to having input on motion. My wife, for example, hardly ever drives and she feels the same about rides now as she did as a teenager. When I drive I tend to make both my sisters feel sick but it doesn't bother me in slightest. Having control of the vehicle makes all the difference and I suspect aircraft would be similar.

Skylanepilot1981

I agree with you there, let the navy show you how to fly even if you’re a pilot already. Civilians pick up bad flying habits

GoldLeaf

I know it's different from flight but my brother and I were talking about this recently (having control negating motion sickness). Both of us as teens could ride roller coasters over and over and over again and not feel a thing but as adults have found that motion sickness actually happens from time to time. Our hypothesis is that since we both drive and are never really passengers in cars we've become more used to having input on motion. My wife, for example, hardly ever drives and she feels the same about rides now as she did as a teenager. When I drive I tend to make both my sisters feel sick but it doesn't bother me in slightest. Having control of the vehicle makes all the difference and I suspect aircraft would be similar.
I'm terrified of heights but it doesn't bother me in planes. ATC says climb to 7,000ft Roger that. Rock climb a wall, that's a negative there ghost rider.