• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

exNavyOffRec

I was told as long as you have the scores that qualify for the position not to retake it because if you don't qualify the last time, you're done. The whole package has a big influence. Idk why I wasn't picked unfortunately but applying to both nfo and sna may help increase my odds possibly
The PFAR and FOFAR give the indicator what your chance of getting through the initial pipeline is, the better you do on the PFAR and FOFAR the better chance you have of being selected, nothing else really matters.

If a person has a lower PFAR or FOFAR and they are not picked they should look at retaking, not if you have an 8 or 9 but if you have a 5 or 6 definitely, a 7 is a bit tricky.

What has been seen recently is if a person puts down both they will most likely be picked for SNFO, if a person is fine with that then they should do it.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
The PFAR and FOFAR give the indicator what your chance of getting through the initial pipeline is, the better you do on the PFAR and FOFAR the better chance you have of being selected, nothing else really matters.

If a person has a lower PFAR or FOFAR and they are not picked they should look at retaking, not if you have an 8 or 9 but if you have a 5 or 6 definitely, a 7 is a bit tricky.

What has been seen recently is if a person puts down both they will most likely be picked for SNFO, if a person is fine with that then they should do it.
In the case of a 7, would the other scores, references, GPA, etc. be considered as tie-breakers in a way? I can see how the board would want to consider the whole package if they're unsure.

Last edited:

BDavis11

Contributor
So what happens to us old folks if we get selected? Do they give us priority class dates so that we don't age out? Or are they not looking that far ahead? I will be 32 in October 2023 and commissioning by then is looking pretty slim at this point.
Yes we would get priority. I’m in the same situation. Just a few months earlier than you

WhiteLotus5125

I didn't know this even existed lol good to look at if I get selected for NFO and decide to go the pilot route
I've heard it's very rare for NFOs to actually get selected for Pilot through that program though.

If you're not 100% about being an NFO and making that your career, don't put it on your application. If your plan and your dream is to be a pilot, apply as SNA. Because getting stuck with a designator that you were not fully committed to in the first place will backfire on you and create resentment.

I say this because I was planning on doing the same thing, and after someone told me what I just told you above, I realized I wouldn't be fully committed to my career as an NFO. But, if you don't mind the NFO duties if the Pilot route doesn't end up working out for you, then sure.

exNavyOffRec

In the case of a 7, would the other scores, references, GPA, etc. be considered as tie-breakers in a way? I can see how the board would want to consider the whole package if they're unsure.
GPA and degree can be a factor, but really it is if the others on the board are better than you and also just plain luck. ASTB goes to aptitude for getting through training, degree and GPA are an indicator or a persons commitment by using time management, study habits, etc..... but references are really useless when it comes to aviation as the person doing the reference can't help you in flight training.

davidc1220

Would you say that it would be a bad idea to include putting NFO to increase my chances of being selected? In all reality I want to fly, but I'm afraid that I'm going to run into the same situation of last board where I only applied SNA and didn't get anything

exNavyOffRec

Would you say that it would be a bad idea to include putting NFO to increase my chances of being selected? In all reality I want to fly, but I'm afraid that I'm going to run into the same situation of last board where I only applied SNA and didn't get anything
If you are fine being a SNFO or SNA than put both, the important thing is that you don't put something down you don't want to do.

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
It’s really all up to you man. Like @exNavyOffRec said. If you put both, it does increase your chance of being selected but you’re also saying you’re willing to go SNA or NFO. Of course being an officer comes first, but ultimately this will be your life for a good amount of time. So if you don’t see yourself being an NFO don’t put NFO. You don’t want to be stuck doing something you aren’t enjoying in life

davidc1220

I will definitely take those things into consideration until September. Too bad NFOs don't get flight hours for the airline route lol we'd be out of a pilot shortage ?

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
It’s really all up to you man. Like @exNavyOffRec said. If you put both, it does increase your chance of being selected but you’re also saying you’re willing to go SNA or NFO. Of course being an officer comes first, but ultimately this will be your life for a good amount of time. So if you don’t see yourself being an NFO don’t put NFO. You don’t want to be stuck doing something you aren’t enjoying in life
This right here is why I decided to only put SNA on my application. Yeah, to me, being an NFO would be nice, but I don’t want to be selected for something I’m not 100% interested in.

davidc1220

Now let's say you put both on the line or even as some in the last board, you get picked for NFO even though you wanted or applied for pilot. How would you make that work if you wanted me a pilot later on in the airlines(let's assume that you can't do another board due to age cut off, or you don't want to risk turning down a PRO REC Y) What do you do then?
Sounds like a crazy situation but I've heard of it in previous boards

exNavyOffRec

Now let's say you put both on the line or even as some in the last board, you get picked for NFO even though you wanted or applied for pilot. How would you make that work if you wanted me a pilot later on in the airlines(let's assume that you can't do another board due to age cut off, or you don't want to risk turning down a PRO REC Y) What do you do then?
Sounds like a crazy situation but I've heard of it in previous boards
It starts by not putting SNFO down on the application, and making sure your recruiter isn't shady.