• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1W vs Mi24

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For you IFS types, look for the Mi-24 and the Antonov transport on the ramp at DTS . . . or maybe they've been moved but they were there when I went through. And I remember the British Hercs flying out of CEW as well, although my primary memory of the Herc was when one of them flipped an Aero Club 172 that taxiied too close . . .

Edit:
Dang, Fly, beat me to it! :)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
There is a white Mi-24 and a white Mi-8 at Destin-Ft Walton Beach. I think the Mi-8 is called Vodka 1 :)

The Mi-8 is painted cammie... I think the -24 is too. There's also an old C-23 Sherpa on the flight line.

c-23-dfst8906273.jpg

The C-23

phrogpilot73

For those of you going "in country", expect to see those C-23's relatively regularly... Operated by OGAs and Blackwater... For some reason they like to fly at helo altitudes. First couple of times, the reaction was "what the fvck was that?!?"

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly,

Do you know if those two birds are privately owned?

The way it was explained to me was they were privately owned, either by person or corporation, and get leased to Eglin for Agressor type training.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a lot of that, as it's cheaper for someone else to operate them rather than the military (like the L-39s). Another interesting thing to do is go to the FAA website and look up MI-8/17 registration numbers. There are several that are registered in MD or VA. Hmmm, I wonder what's there?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
A little over a year ago I flew into Florala during HT's for some BBQ and a coke and there was a Mi-8 (camo pattern) on the ramp. This one was operated by some US Army types.

On a side note, couple of months ago our Sqdn did some DM (defensive Maneuvering) against some A-10s and got absolutely raped. Good times.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On a side note, couple of months ago our Sqdn did some DM (defensive Maneuvering) against some A-10s and got absolutely raped. Good times.

I'd hate to see the mince-meat that 30mm would make of another aircraft... or maybe I WOULD like to see that. It'd be pretty bad ass :)

Ever see this picture? Tank vs Helicopter. Tank won.

m830_h3.jpg

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bet I can find more pictures where the helicopter came out on top.

A-10s are fun to fight becasue they actually have an anti-helo syllabus and come down low to play.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I bet I can find more pictures where the helicopter came out on top.

I don't doubt that one bit.

How great is that threat though, of a tank giving you effective return fire?

A-10s are fun to fight becasue they actually have an anti-helo syllabus and come down low to play.

I did not know that. That's pretty cool.

phrogpilot73

Agree wholeheartedly, once you call A-10 squadrons at Seymour Johnson and ask about Fixed Wing DM, they fall over themselves. I guess the AF rotorheads don't like to play with them that much... The only hard part is getting your CO to buy off on it ("Why don't we use Harriers?!?").

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A little over a year ago I flew into Florala during HT's for some BBQ and a coke and there was a Mi-8 (camo pattern) on the ramp. This one was operated by some US Army types.

ThreadJack - I miss Florala! Man that was my oasis - I take credit for being one of the early adopters of Florala for gas, food, etc. I had a fuel card/RON pack permanently checked out in my name from pubs issue - kept the fuel card in my wallet the whole 36 months I was an IP. Double pump BI's with lunch inbetween? No problem!

The popcorn, the burritos, ... ahhhhh! About as good as it gets in the TH-57!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For those of you going "in country", expect to see those C-23's relatively regularly... Operated by OGAs and Blackwater... For some reason they like to fly at helo altitudes. First couple of times, the reaction was "what the fvck was that?!?"

The C-23 is also known as the Shorts 360 - and there are a ton of them on the used market right now. Perfect for logitical work over there.

When you think of all the aviation services contracts open right now - in theatre - it boggles the mind. Literally if you have a spare aircraft, pilots, and mechanics - it seems you can get a 12 or 18 month contract flying log runs. Check the DOD RFP web sites...