• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1W vs Mi24

bobbybrock

None
Been in country for about 11 months. The only Sherpa's I've seen have been Army. And they do fly pretty low. That airframed is slated to be replaced by the C-27 Spartan.

Reactions: E5B

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Been in country for about 11 months. The only Sherpa's I've seen have been Army. And they do fly pretty low. That airframed is slated to be replaced by the C-27 Spartan.

How long of a tour do they have you slated for Bobby? What's next for you after you come back to the world of Wal-Mart and Women?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ThreadJack - I miss Florala! Man that was my oasis - I take credit for being one of the early adopters of Florala for gas, food, etc. I had a fuel card/RON pack permanently checked out in my name from pubs issue - kept the fuel card in my wallet the whole 36 months I was an IP. Double pump BI's with lunch inbetween? No problem!

The popcorn, the burritos, ... ahhhhh! About as good as it gets in the TH-57!

Hate to continue the threadjack, but whoever decided to combine pulled pork and burritos was a fricking genius. Discovered Florala on my last day in Primary and wished I'd gone there instead of Mobile for my other out and ins. Those burritos simply ROCK . . .

Lawman

None
Man you'd be suprised but we actually have some Amazing Asian and Mexican food in the Greater Cleveland Area. But then when you look at the Minority demographic you quickly find out why.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Florala did have some good chow, but I always liked the chick with the tank top in the golf cart...with the tatoo on her lower back...who when she spoke removed all possibility that she was working on her thesis after hours.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ahh... Florala... heh... great place. Never got in on the Florala Eatin' Contest tho...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gotta love the eyeball liberty at florala

And somehow I bring up the food and forgot that . . . I think I'm losing what little touch I had to begin with . . .

bobbybrock

None
I have some friends down in Texas flying some old Mi-8 and 24's. They say they are trucks. I think the 24 comes in like at 26 bills. Great protection for the pilots though. I think the windscreen can take up to 12.7 mm hit.
Chuck I'm on the down slide. Only a few more weeks left here. Then back to home station. I was planning on going to the Cali Air Guard ( HH-60G) a few years back but the Army had other plans for me. I'm pretty sure I'll be a civilian though.
I've totally enjoyed the opportunity the Army has given me, but it time to move on. I've got just over 3000 hrs so I might give the EMS gig a try. If not that maybe some line of work for a defense contractor.

bobbybrock

None
Chuck,
Here's a question for you or some of the other helo community savy guys.
I was at Balad Air Base the oehtr night and I ran into some Navy reserve (H-60)types from San Diego. I won't mention the unit but they have a sister unit in Norfolk. A few months ago I was looking on baseops.net and saw a posting that mentioned the need for pilots. They welcomed guys from other services.
I was told by a few of there maintainers that the unit was going away. Does anyone know what the unit will become? Will it be active , reserve or a mixture. My wife is intrested in relocating to So Cal and I'm just looking at reserve/ guard options.
I've got just over 3000 hrs tt with about 650 hrs goggles and about 1000 hrs combat/danger time. Would this be competitive ?I would appreciate any advice from those in the know.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I ran into some Navy reserve (H-60)types from San Diego. I won't mention the unit but they have a sister unit in Norfolk.

Well, I think I figured out what unit you are talking about. My biggest clue is that there are only 2 Navy H-60 Reserve squadrons. There might be more after the Helo Master Plan is finished.

To actually answer your question: I think you would be extremely competitive. You almost certainly have more time (of all kinds) than all of them, atleast those that started out Navy. I am not sure of their future though. They fly the same aircraft you see in my avatar, and I imagine they will eventually switch to the 60S, if they stay around.