• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1W vs Mi24

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Chuck,
Here's a question for you or some of the other helo community savy guys.
I was at Balad Air Base the oehtr night and I ran into some Navy reserve (H-60)types from San Diego. I won't mention the unit but they have a sister unit in Norfolk. A few months ago I was looking on baseops.net and saw a posting that mentioned the need for pilots. They welcomed guys from other services.
I was told by a few of there maintainers that the unit was going away. Does anyone know what the unit will become? Will it be active , reserve or a mixture. My wife is intrested in relocating to So Cal and I'm just looking at reserve/ guard options.
I've got just over 3000 hrs tt with about 650 hrs goggles and about 1000 hrs combat/danger time. Would this be competitive ?I would appreciate any advice from those in the know.

Bobby - I agree with "HH" above. My best guess is you could direct commission to either squadron. These are reserve squadrons remember (not unlike Cali ANG) - so there existance has a political spin as well. There may be a master plan for both these squadrons but I bet they are both around for the forseable future. You should serioulsy look into it - and a good deal of personal networking would do some good - by that I mean a professional friendly phone call with the Active Duty component OIC and the Skipper or XO. Tell your storyt, let them get to know you, say what you want to do and how you can contribute and ask them for their help. I'm sure someone here on this board can get you an introduction to the players. But even a cold call and a follow up visit would be totally fine. The informal network in the Navy - and Naval Aviation - is very muchy alive and well.

I flew EMS for a while. As much as I'd love to encourage you to pursue, I could only recommend it as a place to park yourself in between deciding what you really want to do. It's fun, challenging flying but it gets old fast and to a man/woman the industry does not compensate it's pilots well enough. PLus it can be no sh!t dangerous. To this day I can not believe the FAA allows EMS oiperations to be called Part 135. To say the same level of safety and operational controls exist in a Part 135 airline and EMS is pure fiction.

But there is no shortage of available EMS positions right now. Just got an email on a single pilot Bell 412 positionn in VA - mid $50k to start and 7 days on 7 days off. The kind of thing you could link with reserve duty and do well on - but after 5 years you wiull be maxed out on the salary scale and you will want to be doing bigger and better things - contributing at higher levels. It's a tough business. Absolutely fun and rewarding flying though. EMS was the biggest challenge to my piloting skills and judgement as a professional pilot. I learned huge lessons in decision making and weather.

End of rant - probably more opinion than you wanted! :)

bobbybrock

None
Chuck,
Thanks. All your advice is very much appreciated. I kind of have master plan. My old roommate is an EMS pilot and he is telling me the same thing.
He's flying for the guard and says that keeps him sane.
One of my best bids just jumped ship to fly C-17's for the Air Guard. He told me the initial experience was almost like rushing a fraternity. I can see how compatibility is important. As I get closer to getting out I'll heed your advice and try and make some contacts. I might try and introduce to the some of the leadership if I can get back up to Balad.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, bobby, spread the wealth. I'll be interested in what's out there pretty soon as well. In fact, maybe I'll talk w/ John, and we can set up a seciton on here for this kind of networking stuff. Something a little more private and complete than the great thread Chuck started w/ jobs.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Hey, bobby, spread the wealth. I'll be interested in what's out there pretty soon as well. In fact, maybe I'll talk w/ John, and we can set up a seciton on here for this kind of networking stuff. Something a little more private and complete than the great thread Chuck started w/ jobs.

Gator you are totally on target! That's the way to do it.

For the '60 guys I would think the ANG spots would be primo. I believe you enter as a GS "Air Reserve Technician" and on the weekends/active-duty you don your commission. In both roles you fly and, come on it's the AF. Nice facilities, pay, aircraft, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hear you, but as I talk w/ and hang out w/ Air Force guys lately, I don't know if I could handle the lack of freedom they have compared to what we're used to. Not counting it out, but an interesting "Ah ha" in the small amount of time I've been here.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I hear you, but as I talk w/ and hang out w/ Air Force guys lately, I don't know if I could handle the lack of freedom they have compared to what we're used to. Not counting it out, but an interesting "Ah ha" in the small amount of time I've been here.

So tell us (we already know they hav ethe wrong colored wings..)

bobbybrock

None
Gatordev,
I'd be more then happy to pass along any info I can get. Like I said I've had a few friends go to Air Guard units to fly fixed wing. They love it. But then again they are leaving the unfriendly aviation culture of the Army. One of my best firends is flying C-17's .He said he totally lucked out in SUPT. His IP was a Navy type H-60 driver flying as an IP out at Vance. He said the Navy IP's are way more laid back then the Aitr Farce types.
There is an Army web site called aptap that is no longer running. It does have a forum that you can still go to though. I'll post the address here when I get it.
It is essentially an Army avaition networking forum. I've seen lots of Navy and MARINE helo drivers on there giving and getting info. A pretty good forum. Covers everthing from commuters, EMS, Customs/BP to going Air Guard. When I get the address for the forum I'll post it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Bobby:

That sounds like good stuff. I sent a PM to John asking for a new section, so we'll see if he's able. Personally, I know I will want to get back in a helo, whatever job I choose. I suppose that can limit some options, but there's always quality of life.

@Chuck:

Just the stereotypical stuff we all hear. Weather/DD-175 silliness as well as the story of how their pubs tell them what they can do, ours say what we can't. There's an AF -53D guy I've been going through the curriculum with and I've asked him about stuff like that. He thinks there's some truth to it.

phrogpilot73

I came to the realization that if I stay in the USMC, the flying will only get less and less... That's why I'm leaning very heavily towards getting out. If you could set up a networking forum here, how great would that be! I would love to keep flying when I get out, but I don't know where to start, and don't have an inside connection...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, haven't heard anything back yet. He must be, like, busy or something. Who knew?