• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft's loving nicknames

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is "Scarrier" a nickname?

Carolina Lawn Dart is. :D

Not really nicknames......unless you mean by haters. I think that a "nickname" would mean that their own pilots use them, Like Viper, Bone, Buff, Rhino, Shitter, Phrog, etc.

Nobody calls their own jet "lawn dart" even though it's been used for several different aircraft.

Some people call it the "jump jet", but a Harrier guy would only use that term with a thick application of sarcasm.

I knew a guy who checked in with tower as "Flight of 4 jump jets" and took maximum shit for it for years.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
F-100 Super Saber: The Hun
B-36 Peacemaker: Aluminum Overcast
EF-111 Electric Aardvark: Spark Vark

brownshoe

Contributor
^ Never heard an A-7 called anything other than SLUF...

Me neither, I was active when they were introduced into the fleet. VF-174, an F-8 RAG next door to us at Cecil got the first planes and then re-designated to VA-174. I heard the ground crew call ‘em some other names. (Can’t mention those names here though. Family friendly site and all.) :D

Steve

Redux

I thought the F-7 Gutless Cutlass was the Ensign Eater?

Could be I guess but from day one we were warned about the F8's intake and it's propensity to gobble up ensigns and deck apes with their heads up their asses. The instructors referred to it as The Ensign Eater. Even I am not old enough to have seem the Cutlass fly. Will someone wake A4 up from his Van Winkle sleep so he can set the story straight? :)

brownshoe

Contributor
Could be I guess but from day one we were warned about the F8's intake and it's propensity to gobble up ensigns and deck apes with their heads up their asses. The instructors referred to it as The Ensign Eater. Even I am not old enough to have seem the Cutlass fly. Will someone wake A4 up from his Van Winkle sleep so he can set the story straight? :)

Yeah, no kidding you’d better have your head out of your ass around F-8s. However I’m older than A4’s and even I wasn’t around when the Cutlass was active. Maybe Skeeterman will chime in here.:D

Steve

Redux

Yeah, no kidding you’d better have your head out of your ass around F-8s. However I’m older than A4’s and even I wasn’t around when the Cutlass was active. Maybe Skeeterman will chime in here.:D

Steve

Nawwww, his expertise was on the Wright Flyer. :D