• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the PRT changes yet again

number9

Contributor
For the last PRT, I prepped with a weighted vest (12lbs or so) for push-ups. It was very difficult at first, but got easier as I went. It made a huge difference not just for push-ups but also for the plank - I ended up with Excellent High all around.

Random8145

Contributor
For the last PRT, I prepped with a weighted vest (12lbs or so) for push-ups. It was very difficult at first, but got easier as I went. It made a huge difference not just for push-ups but also for the plank - I ended up with Excellent High all around.
Keep doing pushups with that regularly, that is very good for overall basic strength and conditioning.

Another tool one can buy that are easy to store but allow for lots of exercises is a set of exercise bands.

number9

Contributor
Keep doing pushups with that regularly, that is very good for overall basic strength and conditioning.

Another tool one can buy that are easy to store but allow for lots of exercises is a set of exercise bands.
I have a set of exercise bands but to be honest I haven't made good use out of them. Do you have a go-to set of exercises you'd recommend?

Random8145

Contributor
I have a set of exercise bands but to be honest I haven't made good use out of them. Do you have a go-to set of exercises you'd recommend?
For exercise bands, I'd do the basics, like pushups (if no weighted vest), overhead press, rowing, squats, and hamstring curls (if you have a decent spot to anchor them). Look up videos for techniques on how best to use them for these. For example:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The dynamic warm-ups this year got a lot of "wtfs" and laughs. They are now filled with exercises that you probably never heard of and would make a funny "I can't believe people do this at a gym" compilation.

Talk about spending money to fix something that wasn't broken.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The dynamic warm-ups this year got a lot of "wtfs" and laughs. They are now filled with exercises that you probably never heard of and would make a funny "I can't believe people do this at a gym" compilation.

That’s the nice thing about being an O-5 on the verge of retiring. I do my own warmups and stretches, and nobody bothers me.

Random8145

Contributor
Gym ring pushups will activate muscles you didn’t you know existed. Just need to figure out planks with them.
Rings are probably the best all-around upper body strengthening tool there is. You may "think" you are strong until you try doing stuff on the rings, and then find your chest feels like its going to rip. Which actually can happen, you have to be very careful when beginning on the rings. You can tear tendons and ligaments. Just holding the very top position of dips on the rings can be a major struggle for a beginner. However once you start doing ring dips, you'll find dips on parallel bars become silly easy. But if you're strong enough for rings, I wouldn't even bother with planks, just hold a front-leaning rest with them.

number9

Contributor
Rings are probably the best all-around upper body strengthening tool there is. You may "think" you are strong until you try doing stuff on the rings, and then find your chest feels like its going to rip. Which actually can happen, you have to be very careful when beginning on the rings. You can tear tendons and ligaments. Just holding the very top position of dips on the rings can be a major struggle for a beginner. However once you start doing ring dips, you'll find dips on parallel bars become silly easy. But if you're strong enough for rings, I wouldn't even bother with planks, just hold a front-leaning rest with them.
I can hold myself upright on rings (i.e. elbows at my side, rings at my waist) for.. 20-30 seconds? Maybe a little bit longer before I start to get the wobbles?

Rings are incredibly humbling.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Gym ring pushups will activate muscles you didn’t you know existed. Just need to figure out planks with them.
Either do planks with your hands in the rings and your feet on the deck kind of like you do ring push ups or put your feet in the rings and your hands on the deck. It'll work your core in a similar manner.

I actually kind of like them. Our CFL gave us the option of doing the dynamic warm up or not and I chose to. I think it warms you up just enough and kind of brings back the nostalgia of doing warms up prior to practice and football games in HS and college.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Dynamic warmup is aimed at helping that USN population doing 2x workouts a year.

The whole PFA is a force shaping measure - just see who gets auto waivers or when PERS stops enforcing adsep-for-failures.