• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

patton307

So my package is complete but without a PQ letter. I started my package less than 3 weeks ago and my recruiter said I didn't have enough time to get my physical signed off on for the PQ letter; but we would go ahead and submit anyway. That's fine, I understand that. But now he is saying that I don't have enough time to get processed because that takes a few days to get signed off on as well. My recruiter has never called me for anything. I have had to keep on his ass getting him to tell me when and where I need to go to get this thing done. He couldn't even remember having my college transcripts until last Friday, nor could he even remember what college I went to. Mind you we have met 3 times and numerous phone calls to get this thing done. I honestly think this guy is giving me the run around so he already has someone lined up for the June board. He told me he has 2 guys he is submitting for the aviation board this march. Should I go above his head to get this thing done? Is that the right thing to do?

USAF_WX2USN

So my package is complete but without a PQ letter. I started my package less than 3 weeks ago and my recruiter said I didn't have enough time to get my physical signed off on for the PQ letter; but we would go ahead and submit anyway. That's fine, I understand that. But now he is saying that I don't have enough time to get processed because that takes a few days to get signed off on as well. My recruiter has never called me for anything. I have had to keep on his ass getting him to tell me when and where I need to go to get this thing done. He couldn't even remember having my college transcripts until last Friday, nor could he even remember what college I went to. Mind you we have met 3 times and numerous phone calls to get this thing done. I honestly think this guy is giving me the run around so he already has someone lined up for the June board. He told me he has 2 guys he is submitting for the aviation board this march. Should I go above his head to get this thing done? Is that the right thing to do?

YMMV, but I ran into a similar situation. I'm in the position that I work along side high ranking Navy officers and did have one of them call on my behalf to the OIC at the NRD and they took over my kit from there. In the end, it's your career and no one will care more about your career than you do. NavyOffRec may have a better idea than what I did....

alaurin

All day, every day!

I run into stuff like this quite a bit at school with doing any sort of paperwork. If you can work around it, then good. If you can't, show up as much as you can, (I call this "holding the administration's hand") give him everything he needs before he can even think of it and be sure to make your own copies. You can and should scan anything you give to him for your own collection of paperwork. My recruiter "didn't know" until a week ago that he needed ALL my transcripts, even though I asked him on multiple occasions "Do you need my transcripts?" Originally, I was simultaneously pissed and mortified because we are so close to the due date and the colleges here take forever to do any paperwork. But then I remembered that he's brand new at his job and hasn't gotten this far in an application with anyone before.

Keep on top of your package, it's your future, not the recruiter's. It's not that they don't care, I'm sure plenty of recruiters out there do care and want to help you, but you are also one person in a gigantic crowd of people they see every week and work with. You stand to gain or lose more from this package than they do, so don't let it fall through the cracks.

patton307

I talked with NRD Raleigh and they are looking into the matter for me. We'll see what happens. Does my recruiter or officer in charge of my recruiting station have a say in my application? I saw on my APSR they put down their own remarks. I can only imagine what that will say if they start getting calls from their superiors about me now........

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
Hey folks!

I thought I'd note that, as of last Friday (the 25th), my application was successfully submitted in time for the March SNA board! I went to hell and back getting my PQ letter from Recruiting Command in time for the Feb 1 deadline, only to find out that due to the lack of "completed" applications at this time, they waived the completed PQ requirement for application submission. I'm guessing this means that they're accepting applications even if the physical screening results are still being processed (to be accepted/denied after the Feb 1 deadline).

Pardon any errors in my terminology or lingo, but this is information paraphrased from a conversation I had with my OR earlier today.

Good luck to everyone!

patton307

Hey folks!

I thought I'd note that, as of last Friday (the 25th), my application was successfully submitted in time for the March SNA board! I went to hell and back getting my PQ letter from Recruiting Command in time for the Feb 1 deadline, only to find out that due to the lack of "completed" applications at this time, they waived the completed PQ requirement for application submission. I'm guessing this means that they're accepting applications even if the physical screening results are still being processed (to be accepted/denied after the Feb 1 deadline).

Pardon any errors in my terminology or lingo, but this is information paraphrased from a conversation I had with my OR earlier today.

Good luck to everyone!
So does this mean the board coming up this summer is going to be more competitive than the March board due to the number of people who did not get in on the March board?

cardeea

^^
Competitve it will be! But he was saying the PQ Letter (MEPS letter/ Physically Qualified Letter) in order to apply. So this summer you would have to go to MEPS prior to submitting your application.

Good Luck,

exNavyOffRec

This can be a risky thing to do, if you do and the command knows the OR to be lacking it may go well, or it may go south on you, for instance, we had one person that called and what the OR told the leadership was he was working the higher quality candidates first, command said OK carry on. The other thing is it could get your application processed but it could be marked as "recommended" vice "highly recommended" and that would sink you as the OR is the one that marks those boxes, I have never seen anyone get selected that had "recommended" marked, and I myself have only done that twice.

AirGuy

Stats are put out for every board, but they are given leeway on what they do, each board can adjust what they think is important that is why you see the occasional person with 5's get picked up, or the person with 3.9 get turned down, the ONLY consistant item when it comes to SNA and SNFO is high ASTB leads to high selection rate. When I briefed and prepped my applicants it all revolved around the ASTB and I had the highest selection rate at my NRD, often I had 100% of my SNA applicants selected.

With the Navy OCS board what are the most important? ASTB or GPA? Do the PRT and SAT / ACT also count for anything?

Xin Xia

Pro-Rec Supply Corp
With the Navy OCS board what are the most important? ASTB or GPA? Do the PRT and SAT / ACT also count for anything?

Based on my understanding, every board is looking for different things. However, having higher ASTB and GPA are always a plus, for aviation side, they might look at the ASTB heavily, and of course you have to be somewhat physically fit to be going to OCS. Regarding to the SAT/ACT scores, I don't think they are important. Matter of the fact, I don't even think you need include them in the package, if I'm not mistaken.

Buffy

Just sent in a reconsideration package and got a reply back that my package was recieved but do to the fact that I have not yet completed my degree, my package cannot be processed. When I called the fleet processor, he told me that the person who processed my package back in November for the 03 December board, did so by error and he was not supposed to. Can anyone shed some light on this. It was my understanding that you could submit a package and have it looked at by the board, and even be profesisonally recommended, before you graduate. You just wouldnt get a final select, until you completed and were awarded the degree. And that all you would need to do is include a letter from the university stating what courses were remaining to complete the degree and what your anticipated grad date is (which is exactly what i included in my package). Am, I wrong? I'm a little confused.

BleedGreen

pilot
Just sent in a reconsideration package and got a reply back that my package was recieved but do to the fact that I have not yet completed my degree, my package cannot be processed. When I called the fleet processor, he told me that the person who processed my package back in November for the 03 December board, did so by error and he was not supposed to. Can anyone shed some light on this. It was my understanding that you could submit a package and have it looked at by the board, and even be profesisonally recommended, before you graduate. You just wouldnt get a final select, until you completed and were awarded the degree. And that all you would need to do is include a letter from the university stating what courses were remaining to complete the degree and what your anticipated grad date is (which is exactly what i included in my package). Am, I wrong? I'm a little confused.

How far out from graduation are you?

AirGuy

Based on my understanding, every board is looking for different things. However, having higher ASTB and GPA are always a plus, for aviation side, they might look at the ASTB heavily, and of course you have to be somewhat physically fit to be going to OCS. Regarding to the SAT/ACT scores, I don't think they are important. Matter of the fact, I don't even think you need include them in the package, if I'm not mistaken.
First off, awesome name. Thanks for the info, I'll try my best on the ASTB. Do you think I would be competitive with a 2.8 GPA in an engineering major? Not be to arrogant, but I'm pretty sure I can do well on the ASTB. Especially because I am studying and practicing a lot for it.