• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

Hayabusa702

Put in my application for Supply Yesterday.
Stats:
23/M
non prior
BS Biology 3.2 (3.09 by military standards) UNLV
ASTB 5/5/5 55
LOR: 2 former supervisors, 1 Senior CPO ret., 1 Army O-4 ret., 1 Fire Chief of LV ret.
Clean Record

AirGuy

Put in my application for Supply Yesterday.
Stats:
23/M
non prior
BS Biology 3.2 (3.09 by military standards) UNLV
ASTB 5/5/5 55
LOR: 2 former supervisors, 1 Senior CPO ret., 1 Army O-4 ret., 1 Fire Chief of LV ret.
Clean Record

Awesome man, I wish you the best of luck.

I have a question. Is it advantageous to send in letters from retired Army officers. What about current / formerly enlisted Marines? Who is the Navy looking for LORs from?

Hayabusa702

Awesome man, I wish you the best of luck.

I have a question. Is it advantageous to send in letters from retired Army officers. What about current / formerly enlisted Marines? Who is the Navy looking for LORs from?

My OR said ideally professors, bosses, high ranking military officers

BackOrdered

Contributor
I do want your advice. What is wrong with the way I am looking at it? What's a better way?

You should be color blind to the process and treat all areas as important. I'm not holier than thou. I had a 50 OAR, but if I sensed any area would send the wrong message to the board, I improved it. Once my reconsideration package went out, a non-select would have completely baffled me as I didn't lag in any one area.

Don't fall for the trap of "I thought GPA/ASTB/LORs mattered most." Strive for overall excellence.

Hayabusa702

Gotcha. And retired officers are ok too right?

I just used the limited resources I had. I missed out on a golden opportunity this weekend though. The Swett Warriors Program was held at my work, I met a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor along with a clutch of AF O5-O6s that attended. Could have used them for the interviews.

patton307

I have my LORs from the following:
  • Army SF 0-6 (ret)
  • Army SF 0-5 (ret)
  • AF o-5 (ret)
  • Provost and Dean of my college
Currently working to get one from a former Blue Angel

AirGuy

You should be color blind to the process and treat all areas as important. I'm not holier than thou. I had a 50 OAR, but if I sensed any area would send the wrong message to the board, I improved it. Once my reconsideration package went out, a non-select would have completely baffled me as I didn't lag in any one area.

Don't fall for the trap of "I thought GPA/ASTB/LORs mattered most." Strive for overall excellence.
I appreciate your advice. I'll do everything to the best of my abilities.

About LORs. I don't know many people well from the military. I know 1 retired Army Officer who did infantry (O-3 now retired and disabled) and is back in school for a 2nd degree. Would sending in my LORs from basically professors and internship bosses make my application inferior to someone else with the same stats? Do you have any suggestions for getting LORs? Thanks.

AirGuy

I have my LORs from the following:
  • Army SF 0-6 (ret)
  • Army SF 0-5 (ret)
  • AF o-5 (ret)
  • Provost and Dean of my college
Currently working to get one from a former Blue Angel

That's awesome. Does SF stand for Special Forces? What are you applying for in OCS?

BackOrdered

Contributor
I appreciate your advice. I'll do everything to the best of my abilities.

About LORs. I don't know many people well from the military. I know 1 retired Army Officer who did infantry (O-3 now retired and disabled) and is back in school for a 2nd degree. Would sending in my LORs from basically professors and internship bosses make my application inferior to someone else with the same stats? Do you have any suggestions for getting LORs? Thanks.

Not at all. I had an O-5 retired, but I also had the most senior PhD of my college's CS department write a letter as well. People of clout like that who know you personally are able to speak more authoritatively of your abilities, and the boards know this. Same with long term employers.

Your recruiter should help you secure an interview if you feel your LORs are lacking. Try to find O-5s and higher, O-3 letters are not seen as strong.

AirGuy

Not at all. I had an O-5 retired, but I also had the most senior PhD of my college's CS department write a letter as well. People of clout like that who know you personally are able to speak more authoritatively of your abilities, and the boards know this. Same with long term employers.

Your recruiter should help you secure an interview if you feel your LORs are lacking. Try to find O-5s and higher, O-3 letters are not seen as strong.

I see. Generally how many letters of recommendations does OCS need. What's the average number that most people send?

It's going to be hard to find O-5's and higher, and get to know them personally.

AirGuy

I am puzzled,I figured you may have been too far from graduating. Hopefully one of experts here can pass on there understanding

I can apply 1 year prior to graduation. I'll be graduating in Fall 2014 (December 2014), so I can apply this Fall 2013 semester in December. I'm just trying to find out about everything so that I am prepared when I apply.