• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

nombrescreeno

From what I've heard online and from NavyOffRec... getting officer interviews is pointless if they didn't work with you directly/don't know you. So don't look at the title and think "wow, I need a LoR from them" -- what you want are LoRs from people who know you well and can write to your attributes and character. Makes sense... how much can someone really learn about someone in an hour?

Best advice I ever heard: don't try and "game" the system - do your best at everything and you'll never wonder "what if?"

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
From what I've heard online and from NavyOffRec... getting officer interviews is pointless if they didn't work with you directly/don't know you. So don't look at the title and think "wow, I need a LoR from them" -- what you want are LoRs from people who know you well and can write to your attributes and character. Makes sense... how much can someone really learn about someone in an hour?

Best advice I ever heard: don't try and "game" the system - do your best at everything and you'll never wonder "what if?"

I won't speculate on your understanding of the process, but there is a distinction to be made between officer interviews and letters of recommendation. An OCS application requires both. A lot of people on here have the luxury of scoring LoRs from officers/retirees tied to their family. Either way, in order to apply for a specific field in the Navy Officer community, you need to have an interview - by phone or in person - with someone who is/was in the designation of your application. That interviewer then fills out an evaluation form provided by your OR that scores you (out of 10) on your aptitude to become an officer based on how your interview went.

Personally, I got a score of 9 from a Cold War era P-3 pilot and a 10 from an active O-4 SWO. This is kept separate from the retired O-3 SWO I have a LoR from (family friend) in my application. Hope this helps.

Xin Xia

Pro-Rec Supply Corp
I won't speculate on your understanding of the process, but there is a distinction to be made between officer interviews and letters of recommendation. An OCS application requires both. A lot of people on here have the luxury of scoring LoRs from officers/retirees tied to their family. Either way, in order to apply for a specific field in the Navy Officer community, you need to have an interview - by phone or in person - with someone who is/was in the designation of your application. That interviewer then fills out an evaluation form provided by your OR that scores you (out of 10) on your aptitude to become an officer based on how your interview went.

Personally, I got a score of 9 from a Cold War era P-3 pilot and a 10 from an active O-4 SWO. This is kept separate from the retired O-3 SWO I have a LoR from (family friend) in my application. Hope this helps.

agreed with everything you just said, except the part where you stated "An OCS application requires both." I don't believe that is the case, at least for AD, LoR's were only optional. Interviews are the must, and from what I know and heard, higher the rank better it is. You also must have three or more interview sheets to submit, and at least one from each designator, that is the requirment.

nombrescreeno

That's true for AD, but for non-AD and definitely for non-priors, the interview is only required for certain communities.

Buffy

I can apply 1 year prior to graduation. I'll be graduating in Fall 2014 (December 2014), so I can apply this Fall 2013 semester in December. I'm just trying to find out about everything so that I am prepared when I apply.
how did you find out you could apply that early? did your recruiter tell you? Im trying to find info on this. The processor told me, "according to the OPNAVINST, i have to possess the degree in order to apply", yet i've seen multiple people here on AW mention that they have not graduated but have applied and some have even been professionally recommended. Perhaps there is different application procedure for civilians than AD. Im not sure, this is rather confusing to me.

chi.guy24

23/M/Non-Prior/Supply
B.B.A.; International Business, Marketing -- 3.6 GPA -- LUC
Solid professional experience -- currently working as a financial analyst for JP Morgan
56 OAR
No background/medical issues
Strong personal statement/LORs -- mix of military, bosses, school officials and a O-5 Suppo interview

I took the ASTB earlier this week and now my kit is complete. For those worried about the ASTB, it is not too bad. I studied for a few weeks, mainly cramming the past two weekends. I would recommend reading the "1001 Questions About ASTB..." thread, being that it contains good information throughout. I used the Barron's book, Peterson's online exams, a few study guides posted in the aforementioned thread and I googled/youtubed a lot of physics/algebra concepts I had forgotten over time. Just go in confident, relaxed and be sure to use every second of given breaks to give your mind a rest. Hope this helps -- good luck to everyone.

AirGuy

how did you find out you could apply that early? did your recruiter tell you? Im trying to find info on this. The processor told me, "according to the OPNAVINST, i have to possess the degree in order to apply", yet i've seen multiple people here on AW mention that they have not graduated but have applied and some have even been professionally recommended. Perhaps there is different application procedure for civilians than AD. Im not sure, this is rather confusing to me.

NavyOffRec told me. He's awesome and very reliable.

AirGuy

agreed with everything you just said, except the part where you stated "An OCS application requires both." I don't believe that is the case, at least for AD, LoR's were only optional. Interviews are the must, and from what I know and heard, higher the rank better it is. You also must have three or more interview sheets to submit, and at least one from each designator, that is the requirment.

Hey this might seem like a stupid question. But what does AD stand for? I'm guessing Active Duty.

Also are there are 3 interviews? One from each "designation" you choose. For example if I chose SNA, NFO, and EDO, then I would have 3 interviews? 1 for SNA, 1 for NFO, and 1 for EDO?

BleedGreen

pilot
Hey this might seem like a stupid question. But what does AD stand for? I'm guessing Active Duty.

Also are there are 3 interviews? One from each "designation" you choose. For example if I chose SNA, NFO, and EDO, then I would have 3 interviews? 1 for SNA, 1 for NFO, and 1 for EDO?
yes

AirGuy

That's true for AD, but for non-AD and definitely for non-priors, the interview is only required for certain communities.
For non-priors applying for SNA / NFO, do they require both an interview and LORs? How can I find out which communities need what?

AirGuy

Did you only submit 1 LOR? Are you AD, non-AD, or non-prior? Once they call you for the interview, does that mean you are basically in as long as you pass the interview? I'm guessing you applied for SNA since you were interviewed by a P-3 pilot.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question. Is it advantageous to send in letters from retired Army officers. What about current / formerly enlisted Marines? Who is the Navy looking for LORs from?

Mainly, people in leadership positions who know you, your character, work habits, potential leadership skills, etc. well, like Professors, Employment Managers/Supervisors, Boy Scout Leaders, HS/College Coachs, Military Leaders. High ranking Officers are fine (if they indicate in the letter that they are somewhat familiar with you). A glowing LOR from a civilian supervisor or a Military E-7/O-2, you have worked for... probably would carry more weight than a standard "ho hum" form letter from a O-5/6+! Don't become over-awed by the prospect of LORs from high ranking Military or Civilians, it all depends on what they write.;)
EDIT- I'd advise against LORs from high ranking Politicians these days - would do more harm than good... casting doubts upon your good judgment!:eek:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

To make sure everyone understands AD requires interviews for the designator they are applying for, non AD requires only LOR in most cases, exceptions are SEAL/EOD/CEC and soon to be Supply (I think I listed all of them).