• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Article Reviews Chinese Air Power in Transition

unknwn

Banned
There is a feature article on the Chinese Air Force in this month's issue of Combat Aircraft, entitled "China's Hidden Power"

Given the astonishing growth of the Chinese economy and military budget over the past decade, it's surprising that more coverage hasn't been deveoted to this subject.

To draw on some of the article's key points:
  • Up until the 1990s, the Chinese air force was relegated to a secondary status within the hierarchy of the People's Liberation Army:
"Organizationally, the PLAAF is strictly subordinate to the Chinese ground forces in ways that no western air arm has ever had to contend with. Far from being on equal footing in the competition for resources or for strategic planning authority, the PLAAF has been obliged to play whatever secondary role that the Chinese armed forces see fit to relegate it under. Up until 1985, the chief air force officer wasn’t even an aviator: he was an army officer appointed to manage air force operations."​
  • This lack of status and respect for the role of air power was magnified by the purges that took place between 1966 and 1969 as part of the Cultural Revolution.
"Maintenance standards in the Chinese air force plummeted during this period, while the number of annual flight hours per pilot dropped from 122 in 1964, to fewer than 24 in 1968."​
  • This pattern did not change until after the 1991 Gulf War, which finally convinced China's leadership of the importance of air power in modern day warfare:
"In the words of one US Defense Department analyst, Operation Desert Storm 'had a devastating impact on Chinese force planners,' and came as a 'deep psychological shock'."​
  • Coupled with this has been the end of the Cold War, which has permitted the Chinese to tap into Russia's weapons expertise:
"The PLAAF, which had once hesitated to devote a little over a quarter of a billion dollars to purchase modern avionics for a mere 55 J-8 II fighters, was suddenly authorized to devote billions to acquire hundreds of fighter aircraft from the Russian Federation. The transformation in spending authority was both swift, and profound."​
This article is apparently the first part in a two-part series. The second part of the article is expected to focus on more recent developments, and China's new J-10 fighter in particular.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....This article is apparently the first part in a two-part series. The second part of the article is expected to focus on more recent developments, and China's new J-10 fighter in particular.

Observe the J-10:
j10vp5.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pakistan is buying F-10's from China …from Pakistan's Daily Times newspaper:

[…] F-10 has similarities with Israel’s Lavi fighter, but it is more akin to the Russian Sukhoi Su-30 MK multi-role aircraft that has in some aspects outpaced the F-16. Russia recently supplied 100 Su-30s to China.

Pakistan plans to initially buy two squadrons of these planes. Orakzai has confirmed Pakistan’s intention to buy the F-10 aircraft. […]
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\04\05\story_5-4-2006_pg1_5

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Just pointing out the project's roots in the Lavi. And on examination, all 3 do look equally alike, unless I'm missing something.

Lawman

None
Considering the Aircraft was developed using technology and R&D given to China by Israel after the Lavi program floundered, of course it shares similarities. And now we see why the Raptor will never be offered to the Israeli's no matter how much they would like it.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And now we see why the Raptor will never be offered to the Israeli's no matter how much they would like it.

Think so? I doubt it, I think you will see Raptors and JSFs in the Israeli inventory very soon, during most of the time they were developing systems together the US was also selling gear to China.
There is a very strong school of thought that China is being talked up by the certain segments of "The military Industrial Complex" to justify things like Raptors over things like more infantry divisions which are probably more useful in our current situation.
Just a thought Im not sure I subscribe to it entirely but it is worth examining.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There is a very strong school of thought that China is being talked up by the certain segments of "The military Industrial Complex" to justify things like Raptors over things like more infantry divisions which are probably more useful in our current situation..

Planning for type one war while fighting another...

Lawman

None
Think so? I doubt it, I think you will see Raptors and JSFs in the Israeli inventory very soon, during most of the time they were developing systems together the US was also selling gear to China.
There is a very strong school of thought that China is being talked up by the certain segments of "The military Industrial Complex" to justify things like Raptors over things like more infantry divisions which are probably more useful in our current situation.
Just a thought Im not sure I subscribe to it entirely but it is worth examining.

Id argue that if any country was going to get the Raptor its going to be Japan first. With all the Eurofighter sales knocking off most of the big sales (I.E. more then a dozen planes) they are about the only country that has the money to purchase such an aircraft, the needs in numbers to make it worth while, and a current fleet of Aircraft that arent brand spanking new. I see Japan get Raptors then I could see it happening for other countries after some time. But I dont see the needs of the Israeli's (I.E. Dropping bombs on terrorists) really requiring the Raptor.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except that Israel's survival and some modicum of balance in the middle east relies on technical and individual superiority. They are small so they have to be that much better, the Arab states ahve access to almost limitless oil revenue and can afford the latest and greatest assuming someone will sell it to them U.S in the case of Suadis and Egyptians France and China for everyone else.

The Israelis didnt do as well as expected in this go around and that mystique of invicibility is diminished right or wrong and that is dangerous. Hezbollah had access to later generation AT missiles and Israel had been "dropping bombs on terrorists" and didnt do as well at the whole combined arms thing as they should have.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Hezbollah had access to later generation AT missiles and Israel had been "dropping bombs on terrorists" and didnt do as well at the whole combined arms thing as they should have.

I see. So it was their air superiority they needed to work on??