• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Article Reviews Chinese Air Power in Transition

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
my 2¢

China is a country to be concerned with ... we shouldn't be naive, as they are biding their time. if China decided to take over Taiwan next week, there is nothing we could do about it, and if N Korea sees that escalation as a good time to mass troop along the DMZ, we'd really be up a shіt creek ... it doesn't take a genius to see the US military is ass-deep in the Middle East. it also doesn't take a genius to know our gear is currently hurting right now - old and worn out ... and if we haven't learned that the Israelis are only out for their own good and will sell our trash to anybody who will pay them a good sum, then we're gonna pay harshly in the future. we are idiots (well not us warfighters, but politicians who whore themselves out to the defense industry)

s/f

I beg to disagree. Like I mentioned before, put up a blockade, mine their ports and cut off their supply of oil. Sit back and see how long they last.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur said invasion fleet would be pretty vulnerable to Naval power that is really not that tied up in the Global whatever we are calling it this week.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Sure China has time, but who says the Commies will stay in power and China will stay in peice?

As for their military, sure they have a lot of toys.....like I keep saying......BUT, how well are those pretty Flankers going to be maintained by conscripts from the countryside? How well can their Sovremennyy's and Kilo's be operated if the crews change over completely every year or two (conscripts again)?

I agree completely with the discontent in China and the possibility that the current regime might not stay in power (at least not in its current form). For interesting research, look up Mandate of Heaven.

However, the whole concept that the Red Army/AF/Navy is manned by disgruntled conscripts is NOT TRUE and they don't change over every few years. The Reds don't have a recruiting problem, and they don't have a patriotism problem. Sure, there are malcontents (just like in any other country) but they are a minority. Some might argue that this is because of a long history of brutally repressive government responses to dissent. True, but there is more to the story. After my visit (albeit only 3 months) I am convinced that even those who hate the government love China and want to see China strong.

Can China really be strong? They want to be. Maybe it can happen, but it will require some big changes.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I beg to disagree. Like I mentioned before, put up a blockade, mine their ports and cut off their supply of oil. Sit back and see how long they last.

having studied the Chinese military fairly in depth, it'd be interesting to see if we would be able pull your plan off. maybe one day, Flash, we will cross paths and swap notes (in a secure location of course)

S/F

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Having studied Chinese women in depth, I'd say that once the ratio of guys to dolls evens out, chinese men wont be pining over Taiwan anymore.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I have seen these addressed by much more than just NSAWC, and I am not that worried. At least not yet ;)

Well, I'd be curious as to what you're referring to here, because it seems like there's two different voices here... one which seems to be coming out of the Crystal Palace saying that the Chinese AF is what it's cracked up to be, with specifics that were rather eye-opening. Unfortunately, until we get a SIPR AW, it's impossible to reference those or for you to debunk them... and me not having SIPRnet or access to the kind of intel you do, I'll leave well enough alone for now :)

That said, I think the possibility of a PRC-Taiwan War is vastly overstated by policymakers who are hoping for the rise of a "near-peer" threat and are disappointed that "Resurgent Russia" never materialized.

Ask yourselves, weren't we overstretched in the Vietnam War also? Why didn't Mao make a move on Taiwan then? Why hasn't there been so much as an air battle over the Taiwan Straits in a half-century? A minor skirmish? These things have regularly gone on between Israel and their neighbors all the time... North Korea drops minisubs of commandos in the south... China itself has gotten into shooting wars with India, Vietnam, and Russia more recently than Taiwan. Hell, they haven't so much as laid a finger on Matsu or Quemoy since '58 or so.

This isn't the China of the Cultural Revolution, led by survivors of the Long March. This is a pragmatic leadership which is opening to the world economy... witness how they've behaved pretty rationally towards Macao and Hong Kong...

But wait!! War with China!!! It's IMMINENT!! It has to happen!!! They... uhhh... they... really want Taiwan, so we'd better get ready for WWIII! Bring in those F-22s, because all the signs are pointing in that direction! Never mind counter-insurgency, the REAL threat is a hi-tech war over the Taiwan Straits!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I'd be curious as to what you're referring to here, because it seems like there's two different voices here... one which seems to be coming out of the Crystal Palace saying that the Chinese AF is what it's cracked up to be, with specifics that were rather eye-opening. Unfortunately, until we get a SIPR AW, it's impossible to reference those or for you to debunk them... and me not having SIPRnet or access to the kind of intel you do, I'll leave well enough alone for now :)

That said, I think the possibility of a PRC-Taiwan War is vastly overstated by policymakers who are hoping for the rise of a "near-peer" threat and are disappointed that "Resurgent Russia" never materialized.

I agree that my opinion is a little bit contrary to what some of the other fleet guys on here are saying but I do have access to an awful lot of info on a daily basis that most here do not. It is actually part of my job to keep an eye on some of this stuff (though I am not an analyst, thankfully). Also, I am one of the few guys here on AW who has seen PLANAF and PLAAF pilots in action. They are not the Zimbabwean Air Force but they are not NATO-level either.

I have been, as I always am, very careful about what I say on here. It is pretty hard when I work in a SCIF all day and I can't even tell my wife what I do at work. But, I got some mad knowledges......:D

Agree with the near-peer statement, a threat but not another Soviet Bear. For one thing, they can actually make refrigerators and TV's that work......;)