• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Article Reviews Chinese Air Power in Transition

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, but having the latest and greates fighter around will give their potential adversaries pause. That is why I think they will be offered and buy the Raptor and JSF.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
No, but having the latest and greates fighter around will give their potential adversaries pause. That is why I think they will be offered and buy the Raptor and JSF.

So if Israel had the mighty F(not A)-22, Hezbollah wouldn't have attacked?

Interesting how you changed your logic in the middle of your post... :confused: :confused:

The whole idea of 4GW is to counter "the latest and greatest" technology. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in the environment the Israelis have been fighting since '82 is boots on the ground. Saying that bombs on target didn't solve much only proves that air power alone is no solution.

The question the Israelis need to ask themselves is the same as us... if we're going to invest in air power, what is going to help us in the type of war we've been least successful in? The Raptor ain't it...

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Just pointing out the project's roots in the Lavi. And on examination, all 3 do look equally alike, unless I'm missing something.

Alot of the pictures the Chinese have put out of the "F-10" have actually been photoshopped Lavis and Eurofighters.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So if Israel had the mighty F(not A)-22, Hezbollah wouldn't have attacked?

Interesting how you changed your logic in the middle of your post... :confused: :confused:

The whole idea of 4GW is to counter "the latest and greatest" technology. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in the environment the Israelis have been fighting since '82 is boots on the ground. Saying that bombs on target didn't solve much only proves that air power alone is no solution.

The question the Israelis need to ask themselves is the same as us... if we're going to invest in air power, what is going to help us in the type of war we've been least successful in? The Raptor ain't it...

I did fall victim to argument drift but I was attempting to answer Lawmans statement that the Israelis wont be offered the Raptor. WE could probably have a whole day to discuss the lessons learned from the Israeli offensive or the impact of a massive Chinese modernization program (how many Ipods get you on J-10?) But I need another beer

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Eh?!

I've seen plenty of pictures of the F-10, and they ain't photoshopped Eurofighters or Lavis.

These are from GlobalSecurity.org

Founds lots of photoshopped pictures when we were preparing a brief on the chinese military for OCS. Not saying that there are no pics of the J/F-10 out there.

Attachments

• j-10_2.jpg
    j-10_2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
  • j-10_5.jpg
    j-10_5.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 54
  • j-10-takeoff.jpg
    j-10-takeoff.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see. So it was their air superiority they needed to work on??

I was gonna say. What does the IAF need a state of the art jet for? They've been wiping the floor with their A/A adversaries for quite a while now. It's hard to argue that they need Raptor in order to survive.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I was gonna say. What does the IAF need a state of the art jet for? They've been wiping the floor with their A/A adversaries for quite a while now. It's hard to argue that they need Raptor in order to survive.

Brett

Devil's advocate, but they could use the stealth and range if they were to say go to downtown Tehran. Still, the F-22's overkill for that purpose.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Yeah, but do they work? And do they know how to use them?

I remember landing in at Dalian airport in China (DLC) and seeing at least 40 older MiGs (mostly -23s) tied down parallel to the taxiways. In the 3 months I was there, I saw quite a few of them fly.

While these might not seem like a big threat, it means they have plenty of pilots out there training in high performance fighter craft. Its not like they would be taking Cessna pilots and training them to fly the J-10 or similar.

On my way out, I also saw a shiney grey Sukhoi-30 wearing a red star parked about 100' from the passenger terminal.

By the way, none of this is anything secret. These flights were made in plain sight from civilian airports, and I was a civilian at the time I saw all of this (2001).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Devil's advocate, but they could use the stealth and range if they were to say go to downtown Tehran. Still, the F-22's overkill for that purpose.

I'd say more like underkill. If they're hanging a bunch of ordnance on the thing in an attack role, stealth goes out the window. Their F-16I that can perform that same mission.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I remember landing in at Dalian airport in China (DLC) and seeing at least 40 older MiGs (mostly -23s) tied down parallel to the taxiways. In the 3 months I was there, I saw quite a few of them fly.

While these might not seem like a big threat, it means they have plenty of pilots out there training in high performance fighter craft. Its not like they would be taking Cessna pilots and training them to fly the J-10 or similar.

On my way out, I also saw a shiney grey Sukhoi-30 wearing a red star parked about 100' from the passenger terminal.

By the way, none of this is anything secret. These flights were made in plain sight from civilian airports, and I was a civilian at the time I saw all of this (2001).

Watched daily overflights of Hangzhou by SU-30's(or 27's, not sure what they bought) in 2004.